Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2008 F1 Race at Fuji

Weather forecast for this weekend.

Friday - Partly Cloudy high 77 degrees, Low 65
Saturday - AM showers, high 77, low 59
Sunday - Partly cloudy, high 71, low 59

Oct.8 (GMM) Following the torrential conditions of one year ago, when the snow-capped peak of Mt Fuji disappeared behind spray and fog, this weekend's Japanese grand prix at Fuji Speedway looks set to be staged in better weather.

BMW-Sauber's Nick Heidfeld recalls: "I enjoy driving in the rain, but with last year's deluge it was just impossible. Visibility was zero."

Local forecasts for the 2009 edition are calling for mainly dry conditions throughout the weekend, with the highest possibility of showers on Friday and Saturday.

"The location of the track in the mountainous region of Mount Fuji ensures that it is susceptible to weather fronts," warned Honda team boss Ross Brawn.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:24 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder what Honda and Toyota will bring to up their performance in their home race.

Too bad Nawz is verboten. (Kidding. Tho the old Cart Press to Pass was interesting)
Old 10-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ew928
Wonder what Honda and Toyota will bring to up their performance in their home race.
Based on Bernie's recent schedule revamp Fuji's lucky to be on the schedule. It certainly lacks the "bling" factor of his recent Valencia and Malaysia additions.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

FUJI SPEEDWAY, Japan (AFP) — Drivers world championship leader Lewis Hamilton said Thursday he is in a far stronger position this year than last as he approaches the final races of the Formula One season.

On the eve of opening practice for Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix at Fuji Speedway, the 23-year-old Englishman said he was more experienced and much better prepared for the task.

"Last year, I was a rookie and I had never done this before. This year, I am very different and I feel very different." the McLaren Mercedes driver told reporters.

"I am stronger in every way and I am sure about what I am doing.

"Last year I spent a long time in Asia and I loved it, but I was away for a long time and I missed my family and I was tired. I lost my touch with reality a little, so now I am doing it differently."

Hamilton heads into Sunday's Japanese race with a seven points lead over Brazilian Felipe Massa of Ferrari with three races remaining -- here at Mount Fuji, then in China and Brazil.

Last year, Hamilton drove brilliantly in torrential rain to win here, but threw away his chances of becoming the first rookie to land the world title in the final two races.

"I need to feel fresh for this so I have planned my schedule more carefully," he added.

"When you go to a race, you have to perform. So this time, I went back (to Europe) after Singapore and I have recharged my batteries.

"I did my training and kept myself in the right frame of mind. I spent some quality time with my family and I am back here now feeling just as good and as fresh as I did five months ago."

If he goes on to win this year's title, Hamilton will become the youngest champion in Formula One history, taking that title Spain's two-times champion Fernando Alonso of Renault -- the winner of the last race in Singapore.

"I am not thinking about all the different scenarios, I am just going out to race and to win if I can," said Hamilton.

"There are 30 more points to go for and I need as many as I can get."
Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

F1: Kovalainen Aiming for Fuji WinWritten by: Adam Cooper
RACER Magazine Tokyo, Japan Kovalainen had his '07 season highlight at Fuji - can he repeat it this year?

Heikki Kovalainen says he wants to go one better than last year and win the Japanese GP to help with McLaren’s title fight.

In 2007 the Finn had his best race of the season at Fuji, finishing second in the rain ahead of countryman Kimi Raikkonen.

“Of course, last year brings back very good memories for myself,” said Kovalainen in Tokyo. “It was very difficult conditions – a very unusual and inconsistent race. That gave myself last year an opportunity to bring the car home on the podium. Of course this year it’s a little bit different situation, we are fighting for the championship, both in the drivers’ and the constructors.’ I think it’s very important to try to maximize the points, so if wecan repeat what we did last year, and even go one better, it would be fantastic.”

Kovalainen admits that, Budapest aside, it’s been a largely frustrating season for him.

“Well of course the highlight for myself of this season was the Hungarian GP, winning my first Grand Prix. It was a very special moment for me. Now I think the target for the rest of the season is to try to repeat that again. Otherwise it’s been a difficult season for myself, with some very difficult moments in the season, not being able to score enough points. Likewise we’re trying to do everything we can for the team to maximize the result. And that’s all I can say at the moment.”
Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,335 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Thanks for posting Ray. A. Wayne is AWOL busy with high level negotiations in a deal that will bring Alonso to Ferrari for 2009.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amigos F1 thread ......LOL...

Here:

By Dieter Rencken
autosport.com columnist

Alonso, and Santander, for Ferrari?

A glance at the Formula One points tells the tale of the current campaigns of F1's only competing world champions, 2005/06 holder Fernando Alonso and Ferrari's reigning champion, Kimi Raikkonen.

Despite driving a Renault whose model designation should be K9, not R28, Spain's double champion has scored 20 points - via two fourth places and a win - in the past three grands prix. In every race this year Alonso has given it his all, even when he knew inwardly that the cause was lost even before venturing out for Q1.

During the same period, the Finn, who has not won a race since Spain in early May, despite driving arguably the best car, blotted his copybook thrice, twice via self-inflicted crashes in the closing stages of the Belgian and Singapore rounds respectively. The third blob came after a lacklustre race at Monza, ironically coinciding with Ferrari's announcement that it had extended his contract by a year to the end of 2010.
The Ferrari of Kimi Raikkonen and Renault of Fernando Alonso © LAT

The news seemed to seal BMW's Nick Heidfeld's fate, for the word was that 'Ferdi' was holding out for a Ferrari seat in 2009 (should Kimi retire a year early, as mooted by many, or get the red-lined boot, as some suggested would be the case), failing which he would move to the Bavarian team for a year, after which Kimi was expected to retire to enjoy his many homes and big boys' toys.

BMW was known to be actively pursuing the Spaniard's signature, as were, allegedly, Honda and Toro Rosso, so BMW's announcement, made on Monday, that it was retaining Robert Kubica and the German for 2009 moved the focus back on to Alonso. Would he join the Japanese or Austrians, or remain at Renault F1, which is undergoing a major management change at the top?

This question, though, overlooks the determination of Spanish bank Santander to simultaneously snare Alonso and Ferrari. The company came into F1 last year, joining McLaren in order to be linked with the driver, but, as is public knowledge, it was a match made in hell for Alonso, who moved back to the French-owned squad.

Santander, though, was unable to move in unison due to Renault's title partnership with ING, so endured another year at McLaren while expanding its F1 properties, culminating in the trophy awarded to Monza victor Sebastian Vettel being what must be the most hideous ever awarded in F1.

Thus the cash-rich bank (a total anomaly in these times), whose corporate colours neatly match Ferrari's classic livery, has long been said to have inked a deal with the Italian team to replace the tobacco company, which aggressively flew in the face of convention (and, arguably, certain laws), but has at last recognised the words writ large on the wall.

But would Santander be satisfied with the patently underperforming Kimi when it really craves Fernando as logo bearer? If rumours doing the rounds after Alonso's sensational win in Singapore have any legs, Santander could see its wishes fulfilled sooner rather than later.

Allegedly the bank has offered to buy out the full balance of Raikkonen's contract (two years at an estimated $50m per annum) and fund Alonso's similar demands for the same period - in addition to its title sponsorship of the Italian team, and at least two race sponsorships.

According to the source the deal has already been done, and could be announced within weeks....
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Hamilton tops first practice in Japan

I understand BMW senses are hurt at the moment , but to sign Heidfield to another contract is laughable...

By Matt Beer Friday, October 10th 2008, 02:33 GMT

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren-Mercedes, Fuji practiceMcLaren's Lewis Hamilton led the way at the end of a quiet first practice session for the Japanese Grand Prix.

In dry and sunny conditions at Fuji, Hamilton beat title rival Felipe Massa (Ferrari) to first position by 0.153 seconds, with their respective teammates Heikki Kovalainen and Kimi Raikkonen completing the top four.

The session got off to a leisurely start, with only home team Toyota coming out to entertain the fans early on.

Raikkonen was the first of the major contenders to emerge, setting his first flying lap half an hour into the session, although a lock-up and the need to get around Rubens Barrichello's Honda on his first lap meant he needed two attempts to claim first place.

The Finn briefly relinquished the top spot to Hamilton shortly afterwards, but moved back ahead before the end of his run as the McLaren lost time with a trip over the Turn 1 run-off area.

Hamilton took charge when he rejoined 20 minutes later, lapping in 1:19.062 to beat Raikkonen by three tenths of a second.

Massa then leapt to second, just 0.001 seconds behind Hamilton, but that remarkably close situation only lasted a few moments before Hamilton improved to a 1:18.910 - which would stand as the best lap of the morning as no-one gained time on the final runs.

Kovalainen improved to third on his second run, with Raikkonen falling to fourth as his early time proved to be his best of the session.

Fernando Alonso (Renault) was the main challenger to McLaren and Ferrari all morning and duly ended up fifth, ahead of his teammate Nelson Piquet.

Toro Rosso continued their recent strong form with Sebastian Vettel and Sebastien Bourdais in seventh and ninth positions, split by Robert Kubica's BMW.

Local favourite Kazuki Nakajima languished at the foot of the times until the closing moments, when he leapt up to 10th for Williams.

His improvement edged Adrian Sutil's Force India out of the top ten, as the German showed promising form at the track where he scored his only point to date last year.

Circuit owners Toyota had a disappointing start to the weekend, with early pace-setters Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock ultimately dropping to 15th and 18th respectively.

The session saw very little incident bar a few trips across the ample asphalt run-off areas and a half spin at Turn 10 by BMW's Nick Heidfeld.

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:18.910 + 23
2. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:19.063 + 0.153 24
3. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:19.279 + 0.369 20
4. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:19.399 + 0.489 31
5. Alonso Renault (B) 1:19.473 + 0.563 30

6. Piquet Renault (B) 1:19.743 + 0.833 35
7. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:20.121 + 1.211 30
8. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:20.160 + 1.250 26
9. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:20.182 + 1.272 34
10. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:20.217 + 1.307 25
11. Sutil Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:20.288 + 1.378 26
12. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:20.350 + 1.440 28
13. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:20.620 + 1.710 24
14. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) 1:20.628 + 1.718 23
15. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:20.657 + 1.747 33
16. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:20.753 + 1.843 32
17. Button Honda (B) 1:20.769 + 1.859 27
18. Glock Toyota (B) 1:20.823 + 1.913 37
19. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:20.905 + 1.995 24
20. Fisichella Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:21.014 + 2.104 28

All timing unofficial
Old 10-10-2008, 05:21 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,335 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne

Here:

By Dieter Rencken
autosport.com columnist

A glance at the Formula One points tells the tale of the current campaigns of F1's only competing world champions, 2005/06 holder Fernando Alonso and Ferrari's reigning champion, Kimi Raikkonen.

Despite driving a Renault whose model designation should be K9, not R28, Spain's double champion has scored 20 points - via two fourth places and a win - in the past three grands prix. In every race this year Alonso has given it his all, even when he knew inwardly that the cause was lost even before venturing out for Q1.

During the same period, the Finn, who has not won a race since Spain in early May, despite driving arguably the best car, blotted his copybook thrice, twice via self-inflicted crashes in the closing stages of the Belgian and Singapore rounds respectively. The third blob came after a lacklustre race at Monza, ironically coinciding with Ferrari's announcement that it had extended his contract by a year to the end of 2010.

The news seemed to seal BMW's Nick Heidfeld's fate, for the word was that 'Ferdi' was holding out for a Ferrari seat in 2009 (should Kimi retire a year early, as mooted by many, or get the red-lined boot, as some suggested would be the case), failing which he would move to the Bavarian team for a year, after which Kimi was expected to retire to enjoy his many homes and big boys' toys.

BMW was known to be actively pursuing the Spaniard's signature, as were, allegedly, Honda and Toro Rosso, so BMW's announcement, made on Monday, that it was retaining Robert Kubica and the German for 2009 moved the focus back on to Alonso. Would he join the Japanese or Austrians, or remain at Renault F1, which is undergoing a major management change at the top?

This question, though, overlooks the determination of Spanish bank Santander to simultaneously snare Alonso and Ferrari. The company came into F1 last year, joining McLaren in order to be linked with the driver, but, as is public knowledge, it was a match made in hell for Alonso, who moved back to the French-owned squad.

Santander, though, was unable to move in unison due to Renault's title partnership with ING, so endured another year at McLaren while expanding its F1 properties, culminating in the trophy awarded to Monza victor Sebastian Vettel being what must be the most hideous ever awarded in F1.

Thus the cash-rich bank (a total anomaly in these times), whose corporate colours neatly match Ferrari's classic livery, has long been said to have inked a deal with the Italian team to replace the tobacco company, which aggressively flew in the face of convention (and, arguably, certain laws), but has at last recognised the words writ large on the wall.

But would Santander be satisfied with the patently underperforming Kimi when it really craves Fernando as logo bearer? If rumours doing the rounds after Alonso's sensational win in Singapore have any legs, Santander could see its wishes fulfilled sooner rather than later.

Allegedly the bank has offered to buy out the full balance of Raikkonen's contract (two years at an estimated $50m per annum) and fund Alonso's similar demands for the same period - in addition to its title sponsorship of the Italian team, and at least two race sponsorships.

According to the source the deal has already been done, and could be announced within weeks....
Your SO right Wayne. With the global upheaval in the markets and banks scrambling to find cash, I can totally see the shareholders of Santander being happy about their bank dishing out $50,000,000 to pay Kimi to sit out and another $50,000,000 to have Alonso drive in a Ferrari. It makes so much sense now that you explained it in a way only you could.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:48 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Santander may have had the cash on Monday but I doubt it has any more spare cash today (Friday)
Old 10-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here:

By Dieter Rencken
autosport.com columnist

My name is Flying Finn and I approve this message, NOT!

So Wayne, what's the bet about Ferrari's 2009 line-up?

And why would Alonso accept Santander's offer since he already declined Ferrari...

Originally Posted by Pete
Your SO right Wayne. With the global upheaval in the markets and banks scrambling to find cash, I can totally see the shareholders of Santander being happy about their bank dishing out $50,000,000 to pay Kimi to sit out and another $50,000,000 to have Alonso drive in a Ferrari. It makes so much sense now that you explained it in a way only you could.
Pete,

It would be actually $100,000,000 for Kimi & $50,000,000 for Alonso so $150,000,000...

BTW, talking about Santander, who else hates their trophies? Every race where they've been the race sponsor, the trophies have been their logo...
Real classy & good looking, meaningful trophy...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
And why would Alonso accept Santander's offer since he already declined Ferrari...
Exactly, Wayne changes the plot again.

In the last episode (of the soap opera that plays in Waynes head) the plot showed us that the young Spainard turn down Ferrari's offer to drive for them because the Italians were going to screw things up.

However, in this episode the dashing lad from Spain skillfully defeated his McLaren nemisis Lewis and the Ferrari cohorts. Now a new plot emerges as Alonso does indeed want Ferrari as much as they want him.

Last edited by Ray S; 10-10-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ignorance is truly contagious what nubnuts

ray, where are the results from P2 ? instead of ***** washing you could have posted the damn results ....

Well KR ***** washer you are in for another great weekend just make sure you have my spoils waiting as usual the amigos are always wrong ...
Old 10-10-2008, 11:33 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stayed up late and saw some of the JGP practice.

Are my eyes screwy late at night or are they running colored groove tires?
I see green grooves on the tires.

Or did they mount those colored drifting tires on the F1 cars.

Go underdogs. Kick some Ferrari Mclaren ***. Makes it more fun to watch.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Ignorance is truly contagious what nubnuts

ray, where are the results from P2 ? instead of ***** washing you could have posted the damn results ....
Sorry, I didn't want to interupt your work on the new "As Alonso's World turns" script. Here ya go......

Timo Glock stole the limelight for Toyota in Friday afternoon’s second practice session for the Japanese Grand Prix. Glock, with a fresh V8 after opting to take his 'joker' engine change, lapped the Fuji Speedway in 1m 18.383s to head Singapore winner Fernando Alonso on 1m 18.426s for Renault.

Their pace relegated title rivals Lewis Hamilton (1m 18.463s) and Felipe Massa (1m 18.491s) to third and fourth for McLaren and Ferrari respectively, ahead of Kimi Raikkonen (1m 18.725s) in the second F2008, Red Bull’s Mark Webber and Williams’ Kazuki Nakajima (1m 18.734s apiece).

Monza winner Sebastian Vettel was eighth for Toro Rosso (1m 18.761s), followed by McLaren’s Heikki Kovalainen (1m 18.803s), Toyota’s Jarno Trulli (1m 18.863s), BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica (1m 18.865s), Renault’s Nelson Piquet (1m 18.888s) and Williams’ Nico Rosberg (1m 18.981s).

You can’t say that the times in F1 are not extremely close right now.

It was a similar story behind the top 13. Sebastien Bourdais lapped his Toro Rosso in 1m 19.040s, chased by Honda’s Rubens Barrichello (1m 19.258s), Force India’s Adrian Sutil (1m 19.287s), Red Bull’s David Coulthard (1m 19.327s), Force India’s Giancarlo Fisichella (1m 19.482s), BMW Sauber’s Nick Heidfeld (1m 19.894s) and Honda’s Jenson Button (1m 19.999s).

This time only 1.616 seconds covered the whole 20-car field, as most of the front runners focused on distance running as they made their tyre comparisons.

Once again, there were several minor incidents, as Webber, Bourdais, Vettel, Glock, Alonso, Fisichella and Barrichello all ventured briefly off course.

Quick Reply: 2008 F1 Race at Fuji