Sponsored by:

Poll: ALMS drivers of the decade

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: ALMS drivers of the decade

The list of choices includes the elite of the elite. It consists of drivers with at least 35 starts, five Series victories and/or one Series championship. Pick three drivers.

Voting will close at midnight on Wednesday, October 15 to coincide with the start of the Monterey Sports Car Championships. The Series will reveal the results during the weekend.

My favorite driver is Terry Borcheller from the GT1 Bell Motorsports team. I'm a fan of David Brabham and I like Jon Field's hard work.

http://www.americanlemans.com/news/Article.aspx?ID=4882

2008 drivers

http://www.americanlemans.com/driver...s/drivers.aspx
Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

McNish. When he wants to, he can make everyone else look like they've lost a cylinder.

(And how about those Corvette GT1 guys? They always seem to finish first or second!)

PS: Aren't there still two years left in the "decade"? Did the bailout package cancel racing.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
PS: Aren't there still two years left in the "decade"? Did the bailout package cancel racing.
Decade of ALMS.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

McNish. When he wants to, he can make everyone else look like they've lost a cylinder.

(And how about those Corvette GT1 guys? They always seem to finish first or second!)

BIG +1 I truly enjoy watching McNish's driving style. When he is on...HE IS ON!

C.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:34 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Congo

My favorite driver is Terry Borcheller from the GT1 Bell Motorsports team.

terry borcheller?.... that dood has serious issues....... ive seen him almost run over a security guard because he was angry.. he also had kids in the back of the mini van he was driving....

and that was ina mini van on the street... on the track he is a hak.....
Old 10-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chads996
BIG +1 I truly enjoy watching McNish's driving style. When he is on...HE IS ON!

C.
When he is on a mission, he is the very definition of "the zone." When he took the R10 out two laps down because of HIS mistake, you knew he would perform a miracle.

We only saw the last 30 laps of his mastery, but he was probably doing it every lap he was behind the wheel. In those 30 laps, he turned my 10 year old son into a McNish fan for life.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

In the past when asked about a great on-track session, I would comment that I felt "like Jackie Icyx a lap down, with less than an hour to go at LeMans......I could pass anybody". Perhaps "like Allan McNish a lap down, with less than an hour to go at Petit Lemans" now conveys the same sense of domination.

What do you think?
Old 10-08-2008, 04:30 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to love the way Timo Bernard and Sasha Massen and later Timo and Romain Dumas took the fight to the mighty Audi's. They came very close to embarrassing the R10s right out of series.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
You have to love the way Timo Bernard and Sasha Massen and later Timo and Romain Dumas took the fight to the mighty Audi's. They came very close to embarrassing the R10s right out of series.
+1 That was hard fighting. Kudos to Audi drivers too though, especially McNish.

Same way the end of controverial Sebring 12 hrs was good stuff (even though most of the Porsche people don't think so).

Long & Van Overbeek are always one of my favourites.

And for JimB, J.J. is one of my favourites in ALMS.
(seriously, I think he did pretty damn good in ALMS)
Old 10-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

The Peugeot was supposed to be significantly quicker than the R10, but was disappointingly slow (1/10th ahead of R10).

Usually Audi has to rely on Peugeot's bumbling pit strategy and sketchy reliability in order to win. This time they won with a faster car (rebuilt right before the race) and amazing driving.

And I think the R10s are allowed to stay in the series if they lose a few (hell they lose plenty to the P2s!).
Old 10-08-2008, 05:43 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think out of the current line up it would be hard to fault McNish.
I met Terry Borcheller a few years ago when he was winning in the Kodak car and was very impressed with his humility and his willingness to spend time with a nobody...

but

Tom Christianson (sp?) was so domineering that he's my #1 vote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

For just one race Ryan Briscoe/Helio Castroneves looked pretty damn good but I'd go with McNish.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to go with McNish. Plus I think the Petit Le Mans Race( I was there!) Will be a fitting end to The R10. Even if they don't win at Laguna Seca. It's a shame they are planning to retire the R10. But something better is in the works...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Spyderidol
Racer

Couldn't agree more!
So much so that the ACO were forced to "castrate" the P2 cars twice in order to keep the "smaller" prototype class from trouncing the "bigger" class cars on the tighter American circuits.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:43 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Yup. He has a history of epic drives. In 2000 at Le Mans, after Audi proved that they could change the R8's rear end in five minutes, it was up to McNish to bring the car back into contention for the win. He triple-stinted in the morning and made up a lap but fell short at the finish. Then, on the heels of losses at both Sebring and Le Mans (and an accident at Nurburgring), he showed up at Sears Point seemingly with a point to make. He took pole by a half-second and then lapped the ENTIRE FIELD (including the sister Audi!) during his race stint. I've had the good fortune to witness excellence on a number of occasions at ALMS races, but on that day, I witnessed greatness. Very cool. McNish definitely gets my vote.

Quick Reply: Poll: ALMS drivers of the decade