Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Excessive Rear Brake Wear at DE. Who's to Blame?
Repair shop missed Brake wear during pre-DE inspection
23.08%
100 Percent Driver error; should retire and go back to the Minivan
30.77%
Too much PSM intervention; turn the d--- thing off!
46.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Brake Pad Wear with PSM

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:05 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan212
2) Sport Mode. Switching to Sport mode does change the suspension and the thresholds for traction control, but that isn't your "problem".
I think actually turning Sport mode on allows for few more yaw angle degrees than when it is off; I think the difference is 3-4 degrees though, a small amount.

Originally Posted by angelo1404

I do not pretend to be an expert driver, but I have been on much more technical tracks with Zero issues on the brakes.

I thought maybe somebody had the same issue, but I guess not.

So, the answer is probably bad service.
I am a blue student with 25 days experience, I leave PSM on with all other buttons turned on. Very rarely I have PSM engage (granted I have a different car), but, when PSM engages it is relatively abrupt and I know it did without looking at the dash, so I think you would know if it engages or not.

Also, I think most of us novice students tend to take back on our bad habits more quickly than others while solo'ing; we start experimenting with things that we generally do not when we have an instructor with us; at least that's how I am. So, it is concivable that as you solo, you may be a little more agressive and/or experiment more with the limits. However, I would also suggest that if you are not feeling PSM intervene, then don't turn it off.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you left one choice out...IMO if you are going to track you need to learn how to tech the car yourself....if you are relying on someone else to inspect your car you had better trust that individual with your life because that is exactly what you are doing...my suggestion is to learn as much as you can and before your event remove each wheel and double check tire/pressure, inspect wheel/balance weights, brakes (rotor,pads), torsion bar/link and main suspension points...then replace the tire/wheel and torque lugs to spec...then check your seat/belts and make sure nothing has come loose...check all fluids....remove all loose items from the interior and you are ready to go and will probably have a trouble free day....I wouldn't turn off PSM....I would learn to drive the car quick without it coming on...good luck...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Although you are supposed to have the car teched by a person who is a certified Porsche mechanic, you the driver are ultimately responsible for the condition of the car. You need to ask around the paddock about what you should be looking for and at. Most people at these events will be more than happy to assist. I give my car a visual after every time on the track, with more in depth checks every other time on the track and at days end.

The PSM will engage the rear brakes to help stabilize the car more often then most people think in a DE event and as a result the pads will wear prematurely. The PSM allows you to learn how to drive the car in a more controlled environment. Just because you have PSM doesn't mean you cannot drive the track without it engaging. I had one corner where the PSM would engage. My goal became how to best take the corner without the PSM engaging. It took a weekend but I figured it out.

You are a beginning driver, and as such you have joined the ranks of being a student, even the most experienced driver is always learning. You should set yourself a goal for each DE event and for each time on the track for that DE. For your next DE you may want to determine where your PSM is engaging. After you have determined where it is taking control then you want to determine what habit you are developing that needs to be modified.

The region I am in strongly recommends that you should always have an instructor ride with you at least once each day during an event. This is an excellent policy that helps to prevent a bad habit from becoming ingrained.

Enjoy sounds like you are hooked. Brake pads are a consumable in this sport along with tires, brake fluid, oil, wheels, cars, etc. Just keep the fire extinguisher close as you will need to put out the check book occassionally.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm an old SCCA racer but new to DE. I'm running a 2.7 Cayman with PSM on. After my first DE I bought Hawk HT-10 pads which I switch out for events. After 5 track days at NJMP, I have .073" of wear on the front pads and .039" wear on the rears. The last day was an Advanced day with 5 ea. 45 minute sessions. I haven't noticed PSM intervening. Your milegage may vary, but something must be wrong with the technique or brake system.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Drivers who mash the throttle on corner exit will invoke traction control (a coomponent of PSM) and wear out the rear brakes prematurely. A local with a 997 GT2 wore out the rear rotors (ceramic) in less than 2000 miles!!!! Involing PSM will also wear out brake pads and rotors prematurely. Drive smoothly.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traction control setting are very different in a car with sport chrono. The non sport mode is more intrusive and the sport mode is less intrusive. Getting on the gas to early and to hard will make it work sometimes not even setting off the light as it prepares itself. This keeps rear brake temps very high and increase wear faster than the fronts.

Turning it off will slow the wear down but not fix why it is happening, make sure you use caution when trying this in the beginning

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Wear with PSM