Sponsored by:

Help choosing track car

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008 | 04:35 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't imagine life without BOOST!

Oh wait, I'm currently living that life since I'm not going to the track for the rest of the year....
Old 09-22-2008 | 04:55 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

I love you guys, this only validates my recent purchase. And now there's a totally dialed 944S2 coming for sale, very reasonably. I drove it and I almost bought it myself. PM if interested.
Old 09-22-2008 | 05:03 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
I can't imagine life without BOOST!
Agreed -- Two of our street cars have boost -- and just took the 135I to the track for the instructor sessions at HPDC -- I can understand why it is addictive. But, I think that tweaking results in an exponential cost increase through law of unintended (but expected) consequences.

My choice would be a 964 (or to a lesser extent) S2 for the track car, and keep the turbo for occasional play time. I believe the cost of track events is multiplied by relationship to the boost level. Certainly track time is inversely proportional to boost level.
Old 09-22-2008 | 05:05 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Did I mention that my GT is also for sale? Fully sorted and RTR.
No boost.
Old 09-22-2008 | 05:34 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

A well bought S2 is a great choice. Nice neutral handling and if you do your due diligence it hopefully won't bust your budget. I have had rides in one at the Glen and was blown away with what it was able to do. If you go the 964 route you better revise your budget.
Old 09-22-2008 | 05:42 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Default 1 vote for 951

Lots of guys in UCR (I was running their event at Mosport) are running the S2 due to the reduced costs compared to the turbo. There is also the pain in butt factor working around all that plumbing with the 951. Don't discount the stock 951 motor in proper tune and well maintained.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2008 | 06:58 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

I know a 944S2 owned by Shawn Young that is for sale. The car was a multi race winner in the old F (new E) class. Very well setup and maintained. Iwould go this route if I were you. If you are interested, PM me and ill shoot he his info.
Old 09-22-2008 | 07:10 PM
JR944
Pro

I just looked at a track-prepped 951 this Saturday in Denver. It's not done to the level I'd want, but what is done so far is done right. Running something like 14lbs boost, it supposedly makes 260hp and weighs around 2,500lbs. It had typical turbo lag, but when the boost came on, it felt twin turbo fast!

The guy is having a hard time selling it, I think, because the car has an identity crisis. It's not prepared enough to be a race car (has a Redline roll bar), but the interior is stripped, AC removed,etc, so while it's arguably street legal, it's not really a street car either. With a fiberglass bumper, header panel, and hood, and completely stripped interior, it's beyond putting back to a stock class car too.

I added up just the parts I could reasonably sell quickly and came up with about $9k and would still have a bunch of less saleable parts left. The advertised price is $10k, but I'm sure he'd take $9k. Not enough up-side for me to do, but it's the most fast I've ever seen for the money.

I thought long and hard about it, as it would be great fun to run a couple DE's (and it has almost new MPSC's) before parting it out. The storage, labor, spousal aggravation factor just wasn't worth it to me.

PM or email if you'd like more info. No affilliation, other than I spent a couple hours with the owner and the car on Saturday.

Joe
Old 09-23-2008 | 05:33 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Stan
Sent you a PM on my 944S2 that is listed here on rennlist for sale
Old 09-23-2008 | 05:50 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

I'll vote for the S2 as well seing as I have one and if they are well sorted they are very fast relative to the HP.
The S2 has more torque than the turbo and is quicker comming out of low and mid speed corners. It looses a little in top end however.The factory rates the motor at 208 at the flywheel and mine dynoes at 197 to the rear wheels with nothing more than opening up the intake and exhaust. The car is faster than just about anything within 50HP of me.
If I had to put a value on mine I'd say it would be in the low 20's so your budget sounds just right.

BTW my car has been a track car from day one and has over 100K on it. They're tough cars...
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:29 PM
prg
Pro

Probably not the answer you're looking for but have you considered a spec miata. Slow in a straight line but tremendous grip in the corners for a non aero tin top. Cheap, safe, reliable, relatively easy resale. Great competition if you slip further down the slippery slope to racing. Have to adjust to a M on the hood instead of the crest.
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:30 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Stan I know you and you are going to be VERY disappointed driving something other than what you currently have.
you asked for a DE track car. for DE's a lesser car than you have now will feel like you are in quick sand. if you are racing thats different and my choice is a 944 platform. for DE for you you will not be able to go below a 996 GT3 and currently for the track at your level of speed and driving skill this would be the choice for you.

hope to see you at Sebring Oct 4-5 we will talk.
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:42 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Stan I know you and you are going to be VERY disappointed driving something other than what you currently have.
you asked for a DE track car. for DE's a lesser car than you have now will feel like you are in quick sand. if you are racing thats different and my choice is a 944 platform. for DE for you you will not be able to go below a 996 GT3 and currently for the track at your level of speed and driving skill this would be the choice for you.

+1 on the GT3... my new track car...
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

One of the few cars IMO that looks fantastic in yellow.
Old 09-23-2008 | 09:22 PM
Turbo Stan
Advanced

Originally Posted by prg
Probably not the answer you're looking for but have you considered a spec miata.
I did give it a thought but seriously...Going from a 510HP Turbo to a Miata.

Originally Posted by tkerrmd

I just can't keep putting this strain on the car. She's not happy. My friend might fly me up for the event. Otherwise, no car.

Originally Posted by caygirl
+1 on the GT3... my new track car...
Well at least now I see you walk the walk. I thought your first post was just talk.

Quick Reply: Help choosing track car