Sponsored by:

Wheel help badly needed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008 | 12:07 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Default Wheel help badly needed...

Ok here it goes...

I'm a recent graduate to intermediate Solo and have a 2005 997S. After being patient for a while, I decided to move to up to R-comps and race pads. I've been working with CCW on a set of wheels (C10 in 9 & 12) & RA1s for the past two and a half weeks. Went through hell trying to obtain the RA1s (245/40/18 & 305/35/18) and it didn't work out as one of the rears came in with a kink in the bead. Anyway, we wound up sourcing a set of like new R888s in the same sizes so I thought all was good for this Sunday at Sebring (I've been looking forward to this for a solid month). The wheels and tires arrived today with significant extra effort on John's part.

I just spent 2 hours in my garage only to find out that the wheels I received seem to be the wrong size for a 997. I've trouble shot this every way I could and even had a more experienced track friend (advanced solo w/ Chin) come over to double check. The front wheels badly rub the shock tower (the black part that seats the spring). When bolted on (difficult), I can't even spin the wheel. Driving on it would definitely damage the tire and/or suspension. The tires are R888 in 245/40/18 and 305/35/18 so it is definitely not the tires.

I originally thought the problem was just the wrong offset, however, when I took a tape measure from on end of the front wheel to the other, it measured 10". Maybe the wheels are supposed to be measured from the inside of where the bead seals so I'm not 100% sure I'm measuring correctly. Regardless the offset is completely off. The rears seemed to fit but my friend thought they looked a bit off as well so it is quite possible they are wrong too (although no rubbing). They seemed to measure about 13" across.

As my street tires are not in good shape (the insides are rather shot)....I need to go out tomorrow morning and try to find rear Bridgestone street tires for my car so I can still go to Sebring and at least drive the event with stock tires and pads. I'm sure I will have to pay out the *** for them as I don't have time to order from Tire Rack. I was so looking forward to my first solo event on proper tires and pads. I am just completely bummed.

It looks like a 5mm spacer would stop the rub but I still wouldn't feel comfortable that this would be a viable solution as I'm not sure what the true width of the wheel is. Am I missing something here? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I know a lot of guys running CCWs with the same tires and have no issues. My front camber is only -1.5 and the only suspension mods are springs and sways (H&R) so this should have no effect.

Sorry for the long post guys. Just hoping for a miracle before I leave to Sebring tomorrow.

Andrew
Old 09-20-2008 | 12:39 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

this will show you how to measure offset...sorry to hear about your problems...it is especially bad when it happens at the last minute when you should be preparing mentally...good luck...

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace
Old 09-20-2008 | 12:57 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Andrew wanna buy my wheels and tires? You know they will fit. I'll meet you over at Sebring!

I'll save you over $1000!!!!! I'll give you some Pagid Yellow pads with my pad sensor plugs you can have as back up too.

CCW C14's like new shape
9x18 with new Toyo R888 255/35/18
12x18 with new Toyo R888 315/30/18

Why did you go with the taller profile and narrower sizes???
Old 09-20-2008 | 01:02 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Andrew wanna buy my wheels and tires? You know they will fit. I'll meet you over at Sebring!

I'll save you over $1000!!!!! I'll give you some Pagid Yellow pads with my pad sensor plugs you can have as back up too.

CCW C14's like new shape
9x18 with new Toyo R888 255/35/18
12x18 with new Toyo R888 315/30/18

Why did you go with the taller profile and narrower sizes???
Sending you a PM right now.
Old 09-20-2008 | 09:30 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

something doesn't sound right. CCW knows the specs to make the wheels fit for your car. this is not a new build for them. when was your last alignment?
Old 09-20-2008 | 10:34 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

As he explained it, these were a set they had sitting "on the shelf". They were made as a test set and the rears were styled with "ribs" around the outside lip to save weight. I was told they should be perfect for the 997. My car was aligned 2 weeks ago after the sways went on at Champion Motorsports....the alignment is dead on and the my street wheels (8.5 w/ 51 offset) have plenty of clearance.

I know CCW knows their stuff. I'm thinking the wheels got mixed-up on the shelf and were not for a 997...maybe they were for a cup car?
Old 09-20-2008 | 10:45 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

send them back
Old 09-20-2008 | 11:08 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adfsouth
I originally thought the problem was just the wrong offset, however, when I took a tape measure from on end of the front wheel to the other, it measured 10". Maybe the wheels are supposed to be measured from the inside of where the bead seals so I'm not 100% sure I'm measuring correctly.
Andrew
Andrew - The wheel width is the inside of the bead, normally (with CCW's anyway) the overall width is 1" wider, hence your wheels being 10"/13". John knows his stuff, sounds like an unfortunate mix-up. Send them back, buy MDrums set and go!
Old 09-20-2008 | 02:58 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Spoke to John and he feels that the wheels are correct. Measured the wheels from the part that touches the hub to the outside edge of the wheel. This measurment was exactly 7" which is correct by John's calculations. I installed both fronts again and let him listen to the rubber on metal sound as I spun them with my hand. They still rubbed even when spaced by 5mm off the hub. Anyway, our final thought is that 245/40/18 works in RA1 but not R888 (which would take a 255/35/18 as it is shorter). Either this, or the suspension components were different between the 2005 997s and the newer ones (i don't think so). Anyway, John is a good dude....he spend a lot of time trouble shooting with me and is going to take the wheels back for a full refund. I'm going to purchase Mdrums setup and all should be well!!

Thanks!!
Old 09-20-2008 | 05:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

CCW is a class act.
Old 09-20-2008 | 05:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
CCW is a class act.
Yes they are and they will be my wheel supplier until one of us quits!

Quick Reply: Wheel help badly needed...