Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Joe, both the fixed and sliding tethers will allow you to rotate on that z-axis, but where my question lies is in the rotation past the point of equalization.

Oh Lord, my head is starting to hurt. Time to go pour some Grey Goose martini's

If you hurry you can be here in 20 min!

I'd be on the way but the Mini is on jackstands getting some fresh brake fluid for the weekend.

As for the fixed vs. sliding. I've seen good arguments (admittedly minimal data) that argue that one is better than the other.

From the conversations I've had I'm still leaning towards the sliding tethers when I get around to modifying the posts.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Hop in the open wheel racer and take the surface streets
Old 09-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Hop in the open wheel racer and take the surface streets
Remember those speed bumps.... I've already figured that once I got out of the driveway I couldn't get out fo the area thanks to the speedbumps.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

D-oh! Forgot your car is landlocked with those damn mountains they call speed humps in your 'hood.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:17 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm....

- For those that can turn their heads more than 180*, the sliding tethers will offer an "improvement" in range of vision. If you sit upright in the car, with your head right above your shoulders, you will have at least 180* vision regardless of the tether type.

- On the one hand, you have the theoretical possibility of inducing some injury if your head is turned and you activate the fixed mount HANS. One tether taking up before the other could theoretically cause the head to whip unitl the other tether was activated. Since a whip motion is THE MOST injurious trauma to the brain (of the indirect contact variety), this would, in theory, be of concern.

On the other hand, the worry with the sliding tethers seems to be that they could allow this whip to happen in situations where the fixed variety would not? Again, an interesting theory. Since the head CAN rotate, it MIGHT.

In either case, I think it is putting a bit too fine a point to the situation. I can tell you one thing for sure. I'm not using any tether that does not have a quick release. The worst thing about a HANS is getting in and out of the damn car!!!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:22 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here actually tested emergency egress?

Can you get your belts off, then your hans unclipped (even with QD), pull hans off, unstrap helmet, remove helmet, remove window net at some point during this, and get out of the car?

Do that in 10 seconds. Now try it in 5. What are your results?

If you can not get out of your car within this time period, I suggest you double, triple, and quadrouple check all the fire nozzles in the cockpit/engine/fueltank areas, because they will be your lifeline to preventing flames from getting to you.

Oh and for the people who have drink tubes, helmet radio wires, and Cool shirt tubing (now offered with quick disconnects that just pull out), add those into the equation/test and see how fast you can get out of the car.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
Has anyone here actually tested emergency egress?

Can you get your belts off, then your hans unclipped (even with QD), pull hans off, unstrap helmet, remove helmet, remove window net at some point during this, and get out of the car?

Do that in 10 seconds. Now try it in 5. What are your results?

If you can not get out of your car within this time period, I suggest you double, triple, and quadrouple check all the fire nozzles in the cockpit/engine/fueltank areas, because they will be your lifeline to preventing flames from getting to you.

Oh and for the people who have drink tubes, helmet radio wires, and Cool shirt tubing (now offered with quick disconnects that just pull out), add those into the equation/test and see how fast you can get out of the car.
Radio wires will pull right out. No need to lay a hand on them in an emergency situation.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Why would you need to take your helmet off? I know I can get out of the car with my Hans still on, so all I need to do is undo my harness and 'jump' out.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:39 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Why would you need to take your helmet off? I know I can get out of the car with my Hans still on, so all I need to do is undo my harness and 'jump' out.
That's my point. People were saying they wanted quick disconnects to take their helmet/hans off IN the car, but its quicker to just get out of the car as soon as possible.

As for the radio wires...they WILL pull right out, but that does not mean something can't get tangled. Basically I just wanted say there is a lot of stuff going on
Old 09-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

That's my point. People were saying they wanted quick disconnects to take their helmet/hans off IN the car, but its quicker to just get out of the car as soon as possible.

As for the radio wires...they WILL pull right out, but that does not mean something can't get tangled. Basically I just wanted say there is a lot of stuff going on
If you're in a hurry and the radio wires will pull right out, what will the loose, unconnected ends get tangled on?

FWIW, I put on my HANS and helmet either in the car or outside of the car. Taking it off in the car is no big deal, either.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:35 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Ha!

Try that in my car. You guys have the distinct advantage of the boxier BMW (and even 911) shape (and perhaps shorter stature). I CANNOT get out of my car with the HANS on. CAN NOT PERIOD. With quick release tethers, I pull the belts, pull the tethers, and escape. The HANS catches on the cage as usual, but is peeled off my shoulders.

Oh... of COURSE you leave your helmet on. More fire protection, eh?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I highly recommend actually trying to get out in a slightly confused/dizzy state. when I wrecked at the glen, I scampered out because I smelled smoke (was tire smoke) and given how I hit I was worried that I had ruptured my gas tank. My drivers door was smashed shut so I had to go through the window (this temporarily confused me - I kept trying to open the door for too long). I was wearing a HANS and wearing a coolshirt. It was not easy at all and the HANS did not help (depending on how low your cage bar is over the window it can be very tricky). I have the quick disconnects but completely forgot about them. I ended up getting out but it seemed like it took forever. Don't forget that when the need arises to do this you'll likely be a little mixed up in the head and everything slows down.

Quick Reply: Reminder - Tethers expire on Head & Neck Restraints