Sponsored by:

Reminder - Tethers expire on Head & Neck Restraints

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:15 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Every element of all of the Hans products are tested by SFI and FIA by similar standards. And they're tough...
How tough can it be when the z-axis loads aren't part of the spec?
Old 09-19-2008, 02:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Do I detect sarcasm in your tone Lewis?
Sorry, professional pitfall.
H&D really get under my skin with their Microsoft approach to H&N restraint development.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Is there any empirical evidence that shows that sliding tethers provide the SAME protection in an impact? I can't seem to find any and the natural hypothesis is that in an impact, sliding tethers would appear to have the ability to SLIDE/ROTATE on a z-axis thus presenting you will possible side to side injury. Just looking for some evidence.
My concern exactly, add that to the fact that Hans does not sell them.....
Old 09-19-2008, 02:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Rick,

Hans does not offer the QD tethers with the sliding option (yet). Possibly in the future.

Dell,

Hans has commented on the use of sliding tethers...

Every element of all of the Hans products are tested by SFI and FIA by similar standards. And they're tough. Everything has to have that approval stamp, label or tag. If the standards weren't met, the products wouldn't be certified.

Stress from an impact is transferred to the back of the HANS and to the anchors, which have the new big nut washers.

But as a factor in the dynamics of a crash, they do the job just fine. The 2 sides equalize the pressure under a G-load, regardless of the driver's head orientation, and the carriers maintain the position of the tether to help distribute the load at the strongest part of the HANS.

Hope this helps!
Actually it doesn't. Can you point me to actual testing or results?

Originally Posted by gbaker
How tough can it be when the z-axis loads aren't part of the spec?
exactly.

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
My concern exactly, add that to the fact that Hans does not sell them.....
What is this? http://hansdevice.com/Sliding-Tether-System
Old 09-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2 sides equalize the pressure under a G-load, regardless of the driver's head orientation, and the carriers maintain the position of the tether to help distribute the load at the strongest part of the HANS.[/I]

Hope this helps!
I am still concerned; because of the statement 'regardless of driver's head orientation. Surely there is a preferred head orientation. This is why I asked the question in the first place.

I understand needing to see when pulling back on the track; but, I am not convinced the compromise is worth it.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Anybody have contact info (other than a phone #) for HANS or can we get them to chime in?
Old 09-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe there are references out there from HANS that the head essentially "self centers" (it may even have been in my sliding tether packagign) when crash loads are placed on it. The longer tether will start to load up that side of the head forcing it to rotate until the lenghts begin to equalize and provide load distribution equal to the non-sliding tethers.

FWIW - it would seem that this is no different to to what happens with the fixed tethers when you have an impact with your head turned. The same affect would occur....

Alan - once you try the slidign tethers - you'll never go back. your freedom of movement and vision is remarkable.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default From Hans...

Dealers occasionally receive testing results from Hans (usualy at dealer training events) but they prefer dealers do not publish the data for confidentiality reasons.

I received this from a Hans representative. Their toll free number is 888-HANS-999 if anyone would like to contact them direct.

Granted the sliding tether hasn't been out there all that long, but NASCAR and IRL drivers have been buying them like crazy, and they're loving it. When asked if they can tell the difference in how the HANS worked when hitting a wall with first the fixed tether and later the sliding, nobody has been able to specify any difference. And I know that there is NO DIFFERENCE in how the HANS keeps one's head from flying forward. It works exactly the same.

All things being relative, when the tether tightens up under a g-load, it equalizes the pressure on each side, whether the head is facing forward or not. Each side tightens at exactly the same time. There is no "Z-axis" effect. And it does work exactly like the other 2 tether types.

Please assure these people that the sliding tether has undergone YEARS of testing. We would not have SFI and FIA certification and could not sell it otherwise.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 09-19-2008, 04:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Dealers occasionally receive testing results from Hans (usualy at dealer training events) but they prefer dealers do not publish the data for confidentiality reasons.
So something that is SFI/FIA approved (not to mention has an entire FIA spec defining the device) and certified has confidential test results?

All things being relative, when the tether tightens up under a g-load, it equalizes the pressure on each side, whether the head is facing forward or not. Each side tightens at exactly the same time. There is no "Z-axis" effect. And it does work exactly like the other 2 tether types.
So if I understand this logic correctly, if your head is not straightforward at the time of impact, i.e. one tether is 'longer' than the other, there will be NO rotation of the head; rather the head will stay in the same orientation for the duration of the impact since 'each side tightens at exactly the same time'?
That doesn't sound good.

Please assure these people that the sliding tether has undergone YEARS of testing. We would not have SFI and FIA certification and could not sell it otherwise. [/I]
Again, if H&D say so, it must be so.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:41 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

The confidential information that Hans gives dealers may contain results compared to other competitor head & neck restraints.

Here's a link to FIA - http://www.fiainstitute.com/index3.htm

Here's a link to SFI - http://www.sfifoundation.com/
Old 09-19-2008, 05:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'll stick to my fixed tethers until there is PUBLISHED EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE that supports the stance that there is NO SIGNIFICANT difference between the two types of tethers.

Sounds to me like some people are lab rats in this situation. I just don't see how a sliding system can keep your head from SLIDING, especially on a z-axis in an impact. If you head is not straight and you impact, the fixed tether system will only allow both sides to rotate so much and then stop. With the sliding system if you are not straight on if your head is to slide on that z-axis to "equalize" then what keeps it from OVER ROTATING????
Old 09-19-2008, 07:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

There you go again....doubting H&D, the SFI and the FIA and NA$CAR.

The next thing you know, you'll be believing that a HANS device always stays under your belts.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

With the sliding system if you are not straight on if your head is to slide on that z-axis to "equalize" then what keeps it from OVER ROTATING????

Okay, I'll bite and play devils advocate.

If your head is turned and you have fixed tethers it will move in teh Z(ish) axis and come to a fairly quick stop. Correct?

Wouldn't it be intuitiive to think that with the sliding tether it would take this aspect of movement out of the equation?

Just throwing some ideas out there.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Joe, both the fixed and sliding tethers will allow you to rotate on that z-axis, but where my question lies is in the rotation past the point of equalization.

Oh Lord, my head is starting to hurt. Time to go pour some Grey Goose martini's

If you hurry you can be here in 20 min!

Quick Reply: Reminder - Tethers expire on Head & Neck Restraints