Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Question??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:34 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Pad Question??

I have read the countless threads and more "knowledgeable" about the Pagid (yellow/black combo, black all around) and PFC pads than I need to be I think.

Beg-Intermediate driver, been running stock textar pads (has lasted 3 weekends, maybe could pull off another, not as hard on them as I could be yet) on street tires.

Needing to replace pads. On the posted threads, conventional wisdom suggests going to Pagid Yellow or Black pads.

Question is, do I really need to jump up that high in performance as I still have a lot learning to do? Is there a more intermediate option?

Looking at Pagid Sport pads, a step up from OEM or no? Haven't really seen too much posted on those...

Thanks...
Old 09-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile So many experts, so many opinions...

I use Pagid Orange front (probably going to Yellow next), and Pagid Black rear. The added bite of the Blacks gives some added bite to the rear brakes, or so the theory goes.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

I have pfc's in 993 turbo brakes on my 91. Have been very happy with them, and would recommend them to anyone.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yellow up front, black in back. (stay away from orange - pad transfer to rotors causes shudder)
Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Beginning and Intermediate drivers often brake more than Advanced drivers, putting more stress on the braking system.

I really like the Pagid RS 19 and the PFC 97. They have different torque curves though. The Pagid has a higher initial bite and a fairly flat curve. The PFC has a rising torque curve.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

To the OP: please be careful not to use too aggressive a pad with street tires. You wil always be in the ABS and yoru car will feel like crap. Match brake pad bite with available grip (tires) IMO.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:43 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
To the OP: please be careful not to use too aggressive a pad with street tires. You wil always be in the ABS and yoru car will feel like crap. Match brake pad bite with available grip (tires) IMO.
+1
The biggest badest brakes in the world still have to transfer thru those 4 tiny little rubber patches.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile PFC =

Performance Friction? on't know the nomenclature here.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:40 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Yeah, that's what I figured... with my skill level and street tires, would the Pagid yellow/black pads be overkill?

I get into the ABS with the stock pads as well. But, then again there's no reason why one couldn't get into the ABS with the stock pads, it's just a matter of how long the pads will last in that environment right?

Are the PFC '97s and or the Pagid Sport (anyone out there have any experience with these?) a better option?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:47 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I like PFC's on my track only car.
If you are looking for a pad that would see double duty on the track as well as the street I'm not sure PFC or Pagids are your best choice. I think Hawk makes some "agressive" street pads and this might be an intermediate step down that slippery slope...
Old 09-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the Pagid sport as an everyday, but it would lightly squeal. So now, I use the stock pads for everyday, with none of the anti-squeal plates, and change to RS 19 for the track. Even without the anti-squeal plates the stock pads don't make any noise. I also am a beginner with street tires and really like how easy the RS 19's are to control. Must be that linear torque thing.

As a side note, I change the pads out at home so I'm using the RS 19 on the street for the day of or day before the track weekend. I thought that might be a problem as I'd heard they don't stop well when cold, which is all the time when you're street driving. But that hasn't been a problem, they work well on the street. Oh yeah, except for the howl that is loud enough to shatter concrete.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:10 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

I consider the squeel to be a "pedestrian alert system". The sad part is right now the pfc's make less noise than the textar's I have for everyday.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:57 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by Kerry
I tried the Pagid sport as an everyday, but it would lightly squeal. So now, I use the stock pads for everyday, with none of the anti-squeal plates, and change to RS 19 for the track. Even without the anti-squeal plates the stock pads don't make any noise. I also am a beginner with street tires and really like how easy the RS 19's are to control. Must be that linear torque thing.
Kerry - Did you get a chance to use the sport pads on the track at all? Any impressions of them compared to the stock textars?

I am sure the RS 19s are nice, but at more than twice the price point vs. driver ability level, is it worth it?

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Question??