Sponsored by:

Cayenne S as tow vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FredC
Thanks for the input guys. I have the information that i need to make an educated decision. Leaning towards a 20 footer enclosed alum trailer.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned - you should make sure your Cayenne S is under warranty. If not, then you should buy an extended warranty. Your transmission is not really made with towing as its primary purpose, and it would not be good to find out the hard way how much a transmission replacement costs. Just a word to the wise.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
One thing that hasn't been mentioned - you should make sure your Cayenne S is under warranty. If not, then you should buy an extended warranty. Your transmission is not really made with towing as its primary purpose, and it would not be good to find out the hard way how much a transmission replacement costs. Just a word to the wise.
I've been towing with my CS since new in 04. I estimate that over 30,000 of my 72,000 miles were towing miles. I have not had a single issue with the transmission. I do tow in manual mode, and never use 6th (unless it's down a steep grade).
Old 09-17-2008, 02:53 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

My Touareg tows well in 6th, even on the back roads up to Lime Rock it seems happy in 6th. Should I use a lower gear for more lubrication?
Old 09-17-2008, 04:38 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tow Vehicle

Originally Posted by FredC
I own a Cayenne S and would like to know if it is a suitable tow vehicle. I want to tow a 2,600 pound car, and 500 to 750 pounds of extra stuff (tires, wheels, tools, scooter, etc...). I would really prefer an enclosed trailer, but i do not know if the Cayenne S can manage it. What are some good trailers to consider out there given my needs? Thoughts, comments please.

Thanks
Used for 15 events over 2.5 years. Gas mileage average 16 MPG. Tows great! I always use automatic and leave on cruise control.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cayenne S as tow vehicle