Sponsored by:

Cayenne S as tow vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I have the VW badged Cayenne with an Audi V8 and it tows an open trailer like it's not even there.
Gas mileage sucks, towing or not. Air suspension is nice, when I put the car on the trailer the trailer levels out in a few seconds. F350 type vehicle is certainly better, but no way am I driving a tank like that to work.
+1

I have the same Rig and it does great. Vehicle + Gear + Steel Open Trailer is ~ 5,500 - 5,800lbs No Problem. A must, however is a brake controller.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
What is it now?
Last time I saw, it was 7716# Maximum towing capacity, braked
(up to a max. 12% slope) and 617# Maximum trailer hich load
Old 09-16-2008, 05:33 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
I own a Cayenne S and would like to know if it is a suitable tow vehicle. I want to tow a 2,600 pound car, and 500 to 750 pounds of extra stuff (tires, wheels, tools, scooter, etc...). I would really prefer an enclosed trailer, but i do not know if the Cayenne S can manage it. What are some good trailers to consider out there given my needs? Thoughts, comments please.

Thanks

Fred, I used a Cayenne S with an open trailex and my former 964 turbo. With the 2 extra sets of wheels & spares, it was around 5000# which the Cayenne handled easily. I would think a small enclosed trailer would be possible.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using my Cayenne S with a open Trailex, 4 extra wheels, 2 spare tires and assorted crap without any issues. Gas mileage sucks at average of 12 mpg while towing. Mileage is now almost 60,000 miles and car has been perfect since new.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As shown on the left, I tow my Ariel Atom on an open Carson trailer behind my Cayenne S. So far so good.

We just took a trip up the California and Oregon coast, towing the car for a track day at PIR along the way. Traveling through the coastal and windy country Oregon roads, the Cayenne was awesome, like traveling in a normal car, only more comfortable. I could pass when I needed to, keep pace with traffic, and we were extremely comfortable the whole time.

Mine has air suspension, which is very nice for towing. It also has nearly every other option, which is also nice on a long trip.

I just don't understand people that complain about poor mileage when towing.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been using my Cayenne S for mostly towing my vehicle (open trailex) to various northeast and Canadian tracks......

I do love mine, I have had zero issues and drive it in manual tiptronic while towing........ you will be surprised how well it tows......

The rear tires do wear much quicker than the fronts.......

For all technical questions I have always PMed LTC (Lewis), he is the most knowledgeble person I know regarding the Pepper S.......(even though he will tell you that he was not in love with his '04 CS)

Good luck.....

P.S. I have PASM, towing package and air suspension
Old 09-16-2008, 07:43 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my gmc pickup truck tranny took a dump earlier this year I towed with the cayenne S. My trailer is a 24 foot enclosed with a bunch of junk in it .So i was about 7500 pds. I had no issues with stopping or going. Matter of fact it accelerated better than the gmc 6.0 V8 but it bounced a lot and made some squeaky noises. I think the cayenne is a great vehicle up to about 5500 pds and 20 feet after that you need a longer wheelbase
Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the CS

I tow an 18" Featherlite, racecar (2480#), two extra sets of wheels/tire, tools, etc. Sometimes I forget it's back there it tows so well.

I have the factory tow package, but I do not have the air suspension. At 500# tongue weight, it only drops my rear about 3/4".
Old 09-16-2008, 08:11 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I tow my car with a Cayenne Turbo and have had zero issues. Don't let the Cayenne haters convince you that you need a different tow rig---it does great with an open Trailex.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
For all technical questions I have always PMed LTC (Lewis), he is the most knowledgeble person I know regarding the Pepper S.......(even though he will tell you that he was not in love with his '04 CS)
For the record, and PCNA legal in Atlanta will surely confirm this, I never owned a Cayenne.

Discussions of me driving/towing to Lime Rock at 4AM on the MA Turnpike with 2 MagLites attached to the fenders with racer's tape (since the Cayenne's lights shut off due to "!" Check Trailer Lights) are also just "internet myth".
Old 09-16-2008, 10:34 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I tow a 20' enclosed ATC wedge nose with a VW Touareg with the V8. I have 968 3100#, 3 sets tires, tool box, sm gen, sm air com, 7 storage boxes with parts tools etc, 2 jack etc etc. I figure I weight between 7-7500#. I have been towing for 3+ years. Stopping and starting are not an issue but you DO have to watch your speed (stay at or under 65) and be weary of the cross winds as they will move you around!!! If you are careful and understand the limitations you should be fine. BTW, I just left Mid Ohio and I was towing with a F350 (had an atv in the back) and the winds were 50 mph +/- and made it home. Had I been driving the T I might have had to wait until the morning.

Mike
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Old tow vehicle- '04 CS with PASM- 22' v-nose ATC all aluminum trailer- biggest issue, NO mirrors can't see ANYTHING behind you. I towed an open trailer a couple times, no issues with mirrors, towed like a dream in manual shift mode.

New tow vehicle- no issues with mirrors, lots of interior space....

Old 09-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Pull my 24' enclosed Haulmark with a 2565 pound 911 track car (see my avatar) and various necessities for an "away" track weekend. Towed just fine behind my '04 Cayenne S (beta model) and tows just fine now behind my '06 Cayenne Turbo.

Is it a diesel? No. Can it hold its own? Yes.

And for the record, I *never* had problems with my plain-jane trailer lights! Those fancy-smanzy LED's will get you every time!

Hey! Who let that squirrel in here?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:30 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry I'm late to this party... the Squirrels had me down.

HEY KOOL-AID MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I pull about 6500# with the CS, and setup is the key. I pull a 20' enclosed V-nosed Featherlite (2800#) loaded with a car, wheels, and lots of other junk. Overall, the Pepper S does an admirable job, but it is surely not ideal.

1. Without tow mirrors, your rearward vision is zero. Correction: LESS THAN ZERO.
2. A weight distributing hitch with integrated sway control made all the stability difference in the world. I use a Draw-Tite Pro system with 1100# bars.
3. Do NOT use a weight distributing hitch if you have PASM on the Pepper.
4. The tongue weight limit is wimpy. Don't guess. Use a tongue weight scale.
5. When towing, you need to keep the tranny in manual mode.
6. Take a couple of Valium, then surf in the Cayenne forum and search terms like "LED" and "brake controller".

On my last 500 mile trip, I averaged 11.4 mpg and 95% of those miles were pulling the loaded trailer.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I have the information that i need to make an educated decision. Leaning towards a 20 footer enclosed alum trailer.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S as tow vehicle