+1
Hey,

How are things in The Woodlands now?

I see the 'Net is working!
Old 09-21-2008 | 11:07 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... page 3 by now so plenty of good advice here.

I own a Radical 07 1500 SR3 and until a few weeks ago owned a 997 GT3, which has since gone to a better local track driver.

I've had the "luxury" of taking my Radical and GT3 on the track on the same morning,and that is one of the stupidest things ive done. Apples and oranges.

In any event both cars are incredible, just dont drive them both in the same day! <g>
Old 09-22-2008 | 10:09 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let the video do the talking for the Lotus 211 and Caterham Superlight (it might help to to understand German though it's not necessary)

I have never had an issue nor felt uncomfortable running with larger cars.

I like the Radical, but the Juno is in a different league all together (both in terms of performance and price)
Old 09-22-2008 | 11:17 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

So WTF did he say?
Old 09-22-2008 | 11:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RQ_GT3
Well... page 3 by now so plenty of good advice here.

I own a Radical 07 1500 SR3 and until a few weeks ago owned a 997 GT3, which has since gone to a better local track driver.

I've had the "luxury" of taking my Radical and GT3 on the track on the same morning,and that is one of the stupidest things ive done. Apples and oranges.

In any event both cars are incredible, just dont drive them both in the same day! <g>
Why not? I mix in a Spec Miata, a more-or-less street RSA, and even the 910 with the Radical and 993 on a typical trackday.
Old 09-24-2008 | 12:50 AM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by race911
Why not? I mix in a Spec Miata, a more-or-less street RSA, and even the 910 with the Radical and 993 on a typical trackday.

After a good run with fresh slicks on the SR3 I got on the GT3 and was waaay too "desensitized", had a hard time figuring out what the car was doing and it took several laps just to get me somewhat re-oriented.

GT3 is relatively too isolated. I'm sure better drivers adapt quicker but not me.
Old 09-24-2008 | 07:56 PM
prg
Pro

I used to race a standard formula mazda and a spec miata back to back every race weekend. It worked out pretty well but it did take about 2 laps to get reacclimated to the miata after climing out of the FM. Inevitably I'd stand on the brakes and lock up. I'd forget you don't modulate pressing back on the throttle in a miata, you just put it to the floor. It was a lot of fun though. When I switched to the pro FM, there was just to much care and feeding between sessions to run a SM also. Compared to a sportsracer or open wheeler, everthing happens in slomotion in a street car.
Old 09-25-2008 | 12:41 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by prg
I used to race a standard formula mazda and a spec miata back to back every race weekend. It worked out pretty well but it did take about 2 laps to get reacclimated to the miata after climing out of the FM. Inevitably I'd stand on the brakes and lock up. I'd forget you don't modulate pressing back on the throttle in a miata, you just put it to the floor. It was a lot of fun though. When I switched to the pro FM, there was just to much care and feeding between sessions to run a SM also. Compared to a sportsracer or open wheeler, everthing happens in slomotion in a street car.
You can say that again!

A GT3 is far different from a Cup. Hard to translate. You just have to be there.
Old 10-02-2008 | 01:33 AM
fire_n_ice
Instructor

Originally Posted by dp35
At first, before I got used to it and learned how to drive a car so light & with so much power/weight, it was tail happy and hard to drive at the limit. But with seat time I got a lot better, and now its just a blast to drive. Learning how to drive this car has been awesome. I'm no pro, not even a racer, but I do alright in mine.

Like 911's, Atoms have around 60% of their weight on the rear axle, so they will oversteer at the limit. Combine that with lots of power and absolutely NO driver aids, and inexperienced drivers will have problems.

Also, like a kart, the Atom's chassis likes to be "set" into corners, and if you don't drive it hard enough it won't handle well. That's probably what most people don't realize.

Unfortunately, there are only a few of us that track our Atoms regularly. Most Atom owners don't ever track their cars, and others do occaissionally but don't go fast.

An Atom is not right for everyone. Personally I like the fact that it has no traction control, ABS, power steering, power brakes, etc. The challenge of driving something so responsive and visceral is very rewarding. I'm not the type to have something like a Nissan GT-R, or even paddle shifting for track use.

Here's a video from Laguna Seca (including a Rennlister).
Excellent vid. I'm strongly considering an Atom for regular track day use. Do you generally feel comfortable running with the heavier cars, especially passing them so much?

The design of the Atom, with the tube exo-skeleton, seems safer to me than a formula racer in this environment, but I have no data to back that up. Have there been many reported incidents of Atoms with larger cars on track that would point to the Atom being unsuitably dangerous as a DE car?
Old 10-02-2008 | 02:31 AM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by fire_n_ice
Excellent vid. I'm strongly considering an Atom for regular track day use. Do you generally feel comfortable running with the heavier cars, especially passing them so much?

The design of the Atom, with the tube exo-skeleton, seems safer to me than a formula racer in this environment, but I have no data to back that up. Have there been many reported incidents of Atoms with larger cars on track that would point to the Atom being unsuitably dangerous as a DE car?
I'm pretty comfortable running with the heavier cars, but I'm aware that I don't want to tangle with them. I run with other Atoms sometimes, and because of the open wheel thing, that's almost more scary.

The only Atom track incidents I'm aware of have been solo, none involving other cars. I've seen photos of street crashes where Atoms have hit poles and walls at high speeds, and luckily no one was killed. I'm sure the frame makes it safer than other cars in certain aspects, and its light weight and open wheels make it more dangerous in others. Either way, its something I try to avoid learning about the hard way.
Old 10-02-2008 | 10:24 AM
fire_n_ice
Instructor

Originally Posted by dp35
I'm pretty comfortable running with the heavier cars, but I'm aware that I don't want to tangle with them. I run with other Atoms sometimes, and because of the open wheel thing, that's almost more scary.

The only Atom track incidents I'm aware of have been solo, none involving other cars. I've seen photos of street crashes where Atoms have hit poles and walls at high speeds, and luckily no one was killed. I'm sure the frame makes it safer than other cars in certain aspects, and its light weight and open wheels make it more dangerous in others. Either way, its something I try to avoid learning about the hard way.
Thanks. Do you wear a HANS?
Old 10-02-2008 | 02:53 PM
dp35
Pro

Yes, and I love the new sliding tethers.

Quick Reply: 997 GT-3 or Radical R3