Sponsored by:

Aiptek users: what is needed for race car use

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aiptek users: what is needed for race car use

About to pull the trigger on a Aiptek A-HD+ (should I get a different one?)

I read lots of posts about the Frankencharger, but couldn't find the actual posts on the specifics about how to make it.

Is there anything else I should get? Does it come with a remote? Other mods that need to be performed?
Links to specific posts would be helpful.
Thanks.

-Scott
Old 09-11-2008, 02:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Here is the Frankencharger post.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=52

Above and beyond that, it's a good idea to shim the battery so that it makes constant and solid contact with the power pick-ups. The other item that's probably worth doing, is to buy one of the inexpensive magnetic wide angle lenses. There is a post listing some options on that within the thread you referenced.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:58 PM
banzaisan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a complete kit for sale. I've only used it couple of times. I have the remote, camera, charger, extra batteries (remote and camera). PM me if you're interested.

I upgraded to the Chase Cam.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard great things about the chase cam setups, and never a negative. It would be worth giving their product line a serious look before pulling the trigger.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
banzaisan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my chasecam right before I went to Road America. I didn't take the time to read the instructions thinking that it's not that complicated. Well.... It took me a few days before I was able to get any recording. I bought the unit with Gforce and the supercaps. I expected that the camera to turn on once I put the car in motion. Well it didn't. Once I figured out how to record, my recording started to loop and record over itself. I figured how to change it but I lost some good footage. My other issue was the tube camera had a label showing "top". Whoever labeled it must have been drunk.

I don't like the fact that you have to load a special video player to look at the files. I need to figure out how to convert the files so I can edit the videos.

Other than that it's a great system.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:19 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frankly all I have is the A-HD+ and the camera mount in the car. I run it on the battery and with no remote. Though I do intend to order the remote, just have not yet. I just hit record (or have my pit guy do it) sitting on pre-grid, and then I tighten down the belts.

So far it has worked pretty well like that.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:35 AM
tfro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by banzaisan
I don't like the fact that you have to load a special video player to look at the files. I need to figure out how to convert the files so I can edit the videos.
I wasn't happy with this either. I have QTPro, and it's OK but not great. I tried some of the different converts from download.com and this one has worked the best for me http://www.download.com/Pazera-Free-...dlPid=10876269 (search 'pazera MOV' if the link fails).

It gives you several different options for conversion and is quick and can do a bunch of files at once.

Quick Reply: Aiptek users: what is needed for race car use