Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair or Replace fiberglass front splitter.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Repair or Replace fiberglass front splitter.

So I had my first "oops" with my lift. I didn't even compute that the track of the RSA is narrower than the GT3 and I missed one of the ramps by an inch and well.....the rest is history. I broke my front splitter. Here are some pics of the damage. Question is....can this be repaired and if so, is it safe for on track? (ie, structural integrity) The last thing I want is it come come apart and have fiberglass flying toward my tires (and other cars).

TIA!
Attached Images      
Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris M. is a master with fiberglass. Take a look at his fiberglass bumpers on his white SC in his avatar. You would not believe what they looked like when he bought them (worse than your splitter). I would PM him.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Jack. I'll ping him and see what he thinks.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What I would do is replace with a new one and have this one repaired to be a spare. I'm not sure how often splitters on a car like yours get beat up, but I'm gonna guess that they are a relatively 'well used' item.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Joe, quit helping me spend my money!

You already know how much has been flying out the door. Unless of course y'all have an spare room for me to use once my wife throws me out.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I even have a spot in the garage for a racecar that is currently unfilled.

How much does a splitter cost anyways for that car?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I've got a new splitter just like that one in my garage if you want to buy a spare, send me a PM if interested.

It looks like that one has been fixed a couple of times already. I'd fix that one again and pick up a spare and paint them both at the same time, keep the spare in your attic for WHEN (not if) you need it.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Fiberglass repair is pretty easy and cost effective. There are many resources-- of course local friends and recommended shops are best. You can get supplies from places like Fiberglast and Tap Plastics-- others as well. If it were my splitter, and I were worried about weight, I might reinforce with some carbon fiber or carbon kevlar. These materials are more expensive, but you do not need very much. It lays up just like fiberglass materials. The real issue is the filling/sanding/painting required if you want cosmetic perfection. You can even do that yourself. I buy automotive paint in spray cans for splitter repair. I always carry 2-3 painted splitters in my trailer to make sure I never need one. Most of these are resurrections from previous damage. Just for fun this winter, I am thinking about making a mold of an intact splitter to use to make a carbon kevlar splitter. None of this is rocket science, but there is lil' learning curve, and you have to have the time, materials and tools-- much like anything else.

If you don't care too much about cosmetics (at least right away) just lay up some fiberglass, S-glass or carbon kevlar on the inside using polyester or epoxy resin. Very easy to do.

I buy all of my materials from a place near my home: Aerospace Composite Products (www.acpsales.com). I even do some vacuum bagging for certain parts. Pretty easy.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RSA...........huh? What chu talkin' 'bout Willis?
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

PS: Tobacco Road is a cool old Gene Tierney movie if you can find it.
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

From what I can see Dell that looks easily repairable. I'm no "master" but I did rescue a couple of bumpers from the dumpster. If you look closely at the area of the front bumper in front of the front left wheel there was a crack so deep that that piece was literally swinging from the rest of the bumper. Anyway, if it were me I would certainly repair it especially knowing what kind of abuse that area of the car takes. The fiberglass you will lay down will cure into being as hard and durable as the rest of the splitter. If you buy a new one it will look 5 years old after the first couple of races anyway.

Then again if you're going to have a body shop do the work it might be cheaper to just buy a new one as it will take some time to make the repair look good. If you're going to do it yourself your only expenses will be a fiberglass repair kit, some bondo, sandpaper, primer, and paint for a total of no more than $75 all available at your local auto parts store. You might just take it to a body shop and see what they'll charge you then compare that to the cost of buying a new one including shipping, painting, and installation.

GL and if you decide to repair it and need help let me know.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dell i know how to do its not hard i used to work with surfboards in the day
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Matt, you crack me up! I never pegged you for the Zog's Sex Wax kinda guy
Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 993inNC
RSA...........huh? What chu talkin' 'bout Willis?
Ping me offline. I was actually thinking about you today. Me and the wife were chatting about CMP and she asked if I had talked to you recently. Coming to CMP anytime soon? I'll be there 4-5 Oct with Carolinas.

Originally Posted by Chris M.
From what I can see Dell that looks easily repairable. I'm no "master" but I did rescue a couple of bumpers from the dumpster. If you look closely at the area of the front bumper in front of the front left wheel there was a crack so deep that that piece was literally swinging from the rest of the bumper. Anyway, if it were me I would certainly repair it especially knowing what kind of abuse that area of the car takes. The fiberglass you will lay down will cure into being as hard and durable as the rest of the splitter. If you buy a new one it will look 5 years old after the first couple of races anyway.

Then again if you're going to have a body shop do the work it might be cheaper to just buy a new one as it will take some time to make the repair look good. If you're going to do it yourself your only expenses will be a fiberglass repair kit, some bondo, sandpaper, primer, and paint for a total of no more than $75 all available at your local auto parts store. You might just take it to a body shop and see what they'll charge you then compare that to the cost of buying a new one including shipping, painting, and installation.

GL and if you decide to repair it and need help let me know.
Will do! THanks for the input. I'm going to check with a couple shops first to see what the repair cost is. Time is my biggest problem. None of it right now.

Originally Posted by Cory M
I've got a new splitter just like that one in my garage if you want to buy a spare, send me a PM if interested.

It looks like that one has been fixed a couple of times already. I'd fix that one again and pick up a spare and paint them both at the same time, keep the spare in your attic for WHEN (not if) you need it.
I'll PM you.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others have, your's has been repaired in its time so repairing it once again, won't do anything. I had the RS splitter from rennspeed and they cost 150 to 200$. I painted mine flat black (to match lower rocker panel)for no hassles and every once in a while, I would spray the scrapes.

Quick Reply: Repair or Replace fiberglass front splitter.