Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh No, not tire pressures again (DE; 997TT).

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
Keep in mind that PSM is never completely turned off. Even when it's switched off it still monitors the car position and if things start going pear shaped and you hit the brakes, PSM will activate and attempt to remedy the situation.
Not so in the 997... PSM if off will only kick back on if ABS is engaged (1 wheel ABS if no Sport Chrono, 2 wheels if SC). Also, if you have SC, the levels will in increased (ie: more yaw) to give the car more freedom. At least that's how it was on my 997S. PSM still monitored everything in the background, but would only kick on if ABS was engaged AND the car was in a position where PSM thought I wouldn't want to be (ie: sideways).

Keep in mind I had my 997S for 1.5 years on the track and PSM NEVER kicked on (I never turned it off). It let me go 20 degrees sideways at the crest of the Esses at Watkisn Glen - I corrected and continued on. Point being the PSM system in the 997 product line is actually very good at not getting in the way of driving.

If an instructor came into my car and told me to turn off PSM and Sport on, I'd ask him to reconsider and if he insisted, I'd ask him nicely that it isn't going to work and that you'd like another instructor. It's your car and you have to be 100% comfortable in it and with the individual. If his style of instruction is "his way or the highway" regardless of your comfort level, then he shouldn't be instructing.

PS2 hot temps on the track should absolutely max at 41 and the more stagger you feed in (ie: less pressure front) the more understeer you will have remaining (depending on alignment, might not be a bad thing for added safety valve). In both my 997S and GT3 with PS2s I think I would generate 12 psi front left, 11 psi both rear, and 10 psi front right from cold to hot. So if targeting say 39/40 front/rear, I'd have to start the session with 27, 29, 29, and 29 - but your results will vary on track and driving level. I'd reset the TPMS and let it re-learn. It will tell you you have a problem, but once you pull the stalk, it shouldn't scream at you.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Not so in the 997... PSM if off will only kick back on if ABS is engaged (1 wheel ABS if no Sport Chrono, 2 wheels if SC). Also, if you have SC, the levels will in increased (ie: more yaw) to give the car more freedom. At least that's how it was on my 997S. PSM still monitored everything in the background, but would only kick on if ABS was engaged AND the car was in a position where PSM thought I wouldn't want to be (ie: sideways).
I agree with you, we're saying the same thing PSM has 2 parts, the passive monitoring of the car's motion and the active intervention by using the brakes and throttle. It's been like that since the 996. When switched "off" PSM deactivates the active intervention part but still passively monitors the car. If the car goes sideways and the driver never touches the brakes, PSM will not actively intervene. If the driver hits the brakes to the point the front ABS activates then PSM will engage the active intervention to try to save the car. If the driver stops braking, PSM's active intervention goes back to sleep. Of course PSM can't save the car in every situation.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
I had PZero Rosso's. IIRC they don't grip well beyond 40 psi hot and then they are pretty greasy feeling. I overheated mine and they chunked. I replaced them with Yokohama ADVAN Neovas and compared to the Pirellis I think they are much better tires. Better grip all around.
Thanks for the info. I'm heading to Sebring in two weeks and will give it a try. I am relatively new to DE's and have not tried fooling around with pressures yet. I have noted though the rears routinely get to 41-42 with a starting pressure of 33, so I will try dropping them down.

Matt

Quick Reply: Oh No, not tire pressures again (DE; 997TT).