Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spinning Hoosiers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tire guys laughed at the idea of hairspray. The rears rotate about 180 during the day - the next morning they are square for a few laps, then OK. Rebalancing is a waste of time unless you are flipping the tires for better wear. IMHO
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Streak,

First use alcohol or solvent to get the rim surface and tire bead clean (you've got to get off the mold release from a sticker tire), then spray some hairspray (I use unscented Aquanet so the tire shop doesn't smell like a beauty parlor) on both surfaces. Mount, balance, and you're good to go.

Next time you see Kurt M., you can thank him for this trick.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
Hey Streak,

First use alcohol
I think his tire guy does, but the stuff down there is clear and has a bit of motor oil and anti-freeze in it... maybe it would work better if used as a cleaning agent?

Streak, maybe it's a bent wheel or the Hoosier's aren't round?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
Hey Streak,

First use alcohol or solvent to get the rim surface and tire bead clean (you've got to get off the mold release from a sticker tire), then spray some hairspray (I use unscented Aquanet so the tire shop doesn't smell like a beauty parlor) on both surfaces. Mount, balance, and you're good to go.

Next time you see Kurt M., you can thank him for this trick.
Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think his tire guy does, but the stuff down there is clear and has a bit of motor oil and anti-freeze in it... maybe it would work better if used as a cleaning agent?

Streak, maybe it's a bent wheel or the Hoosier's aren't round?
Thanks Jerome. I'm dropping them off at Radial today. They say they'll take care of it and this usually doesn't happen on Fuchs. Just more proof that my skillz may need more tire than Hoos

Gary,

Actually, when I had them rebalanced both the rears hopped. Maybe from sitting after a session?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 AM
F-class
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine spin alot on the fuchs. Woodmann mounts them dry now. Doesn't seem to be a problem with 16" rims, gets tougher with low profile and larger rims. Spent a year at club races trying to resolve the issue, this seems to work best. Another solution was to get tires sent to house and have them mounted a month before race with water versus soap. This worked good too, but was inconvenient when you wanted new tires on Saturday afternoon before the Enduro. Good Luck.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Most of the slipping is under braking. My BBS wheels rotate less than my Fikses.
John do you think that happens when the tires are not up to full temp and the pressure is low? I have never check to see if this is happening and every time I see this topic i remind myself to check it out on my tire rim set up. what do you do just run a chalk line on the tire?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Excellent question. It has been suggested that higher pressure may help. I did have the tire guy remount them with the hairspray trick.

My pressures were between 36 and 39. Would staying closer to 38-40 help?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hunt,

Mine do this all the time and it does tend to throw off the balancing a bit. It is under braking for sure. I mark the tire w/ chalk next to where the valve stem is to see just how much they are rotating.

Have your shop dry mount them or try the hairspray as lube trick.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Frank,

I use a paint marker and mark where the valve stem is. I also mark the wheel weights, i.e., make a mark as long as the the weights on the rims so that I know if I get a vibration whether a wheel weight flew off or the tire rotated. Saves a lot of nervousness when a vibration pops up and you're trying to figure out what is causing it.

Quick Reply: Spinning Hoosiers?