Sponsored by:

Streets of willow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:31 AM
GT-three
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streets of willow?

hi just moved to CA from NY, i've done alot of DEs there but im trying to get to Willow springs this weekend to check out what goes on here on the left coast. not sure what to expect.anyone going to Streets of Willow this weekend with POC?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Cool I will be there...

As this is your first POC event, be certain to view the event particulars from the POC Web site: www.porscheownersclub.org Call Marty Mehterian and let him know you are coming. Beg for an instructor if necessary.

Pre-register for this event ASAP as it usually sells out. Have fresh brake fluid in the car and be certain you break pads are in good shape. This is a great track...you will enjoy it.

Look me up; I'll be at the event, 97 Carrera, Car Number 22.

Students: Only 30 students can be accepted to this event. All must be pre-registered and must contact, Marty Mehterian, S.T.S. Chief Driving Instructor by phone only at: 818/785-4445 by August 28th, 2008 (Mandatory). Please supply Marty with your prior track driving experience and
type of car you will be driving. Requests cannot be considered after this date and Instructor assignments cannot be made at the track if you have not contacted Marty by August 28th.

Absolutely no walk-in students! First time students, please bring a copy of the Driver’s Manual to the track (it’s available on the website - please read it prior to the event).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Streets Info.pdf (122.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
TH996
Advanced

I relocated to Pasadena from DC a few months ago and have been at WSIR (big track) three times with my white 964 C2 - number 798, lots of blue tape. I have heard good things about the Streets too and the POC in particular.

I also joined the POC and look forward to participating in the STS events. I'd be there this weekend but will be traveling the next few weeks and will miss the next 2 rounds of events.

Hope to see you around.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Welcome...and be certain...

to check the POC Web site for the schedule, remainder of 2008. Note, the Clinic that is required to get a POC Short Track Series License (STS) is offered on November 8th, Streets of Willow track. You will also need to complete three (3) one (1) day events with an Instructor sigh off each day. Once you have your STS License, you can drive solo, sans instructor. With the November Clinic and the one (1) day event, + the two (2) day Cali Speedway event, a person could obtain their STS License in 2008...and if they are really focused, attend the December Time TRial event in ecember.

In addition, with a STS License, you can now matriculate to the Time Trial Series. Two (2) TT weekends with an instructor sign off, and you earn your TT License and can drive solo....it gets better but I'll save that for later.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
TH996
Advanced

Martin S.,

Thanks for that explanation. I'll try to get that all done this year. Look forward to meeting you in person.

-TH
Old 09-02-2008, 04:48 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came up through the poc and started with the STS. It's a great series and you will meet tons of people and have a blast.

Unfortunately I can't make it to this weekend's event, But I will be at the rest of the STS events for the year.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default More Info....

On the POC Web Site, there is a lot of info on the STS Series, including a blog by a Newby discussing what to expect at a STS event...be certain and get a Tech Inspection prior to the event, or pay $20 at the track...however if anything serious is discovered, it's a long drive home

Also note we are seeing more and more 964 cars. You'll have a blast. They run in K Class and should dominate, IMHO!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:48 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Originally Posted by GT-three
hi just moved to CA from NY, i've done alot of DEs there but im trying to get to Willow springs this weekend to check out what goes on here on the left coast. not sure what to expect.anyone going to Streets of Willow this weekend with POC?
You will have a blast. The POC STS events are great fun and great people.

I'll be there with a black 996 GT3, car number 311. Stop by and say hi.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:51 PM
GT-three
Instructor

thanks for all the info. unfortunatly, i will not be participating in the event but more as a speculator this weekend. i still need to ship my track wheels from NY. But look foward to meeeting new people.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll give the POC a huge thumbs up -- great instruction and a well-designed program.

You might be a little surprised by the lack of, uh, any kind of meaningful infrastructure at the Willow Springs facility. And if you're accustomed to race tracks that were actually designed by someone who designs tracks for a living, then the Streets course might also come as something of a rude surprise. It's short, abrupt and brutish -- about as haphazardly designed (and maintained) as they come.

The big track at Willow Springs was also 'laid out and paved,' way back in the mid-fifties (when the big dog of American track designers, Alan Wilson, was maybe eight) -- but it's stood the test of time as a really great circuit. Once you get through the STS program, you'll be able to drive on the big track, which -- in this driver's opinion -- is a much more rewarding experience.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:44 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

It's fun to see more 964's.... welcome guys!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be at Streets this Monday with PCA. Drop by if you're still in town!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
GT-three
Instructor

looking foward to this weekend. thanks guys.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:54 PM
TH996
Advanced

Thanks guys for the warm reception and all the tips.
BTW Jack Olsen - great vids on youtube. I've watched them many times prior to a track event for inspiration.

I'm going to try to aim for:
- the PCA California Challenge autoX in Bakersfield on Oct. 4
- a NASA HPDE at Buttonwillow on Oct. 11/12
- the POC STS Driver's clinic on November 8/9
- the POC Cal Speedway event November 11/16 and
- the Finale at WSIR on December 6/7.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 AM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be there this Sunday with the POC. I'll be there with the bone stock 996 (Red - probably its last track event for a while as my black '84 is just about ready for the track). See you there. I'll look for your blue car.

Quick Reply: Streets of willow?