Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:06 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Mike -
Just playing the devils advocate here but why do race cars like the Spyder not have them?

Does anyone know if the Cup and RSR's have them?

Most of us are adapting a street car for track applications. I'm wondering what/why Porsche does what it does with its factory produced race cars.
GT3 RSR's have them, in carbon/kevlar weave of course.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:08 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front liners protect brake lines, fuel lines, ABS wheel sensor lines, and clean up the airflow quite a bit. They also protect the fenders from rock/bolt/etc damage.
I've been tempted to leave them off several times [usually when crunching to get ready for a race weekend] but always put them back for peace of mind.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

We tested several cars at Aerodyn's windtunnel in Mooresville, NC. and noticed significant differences in numbers on the car WITH fenderliners... Which cars do and which don't have them, I can't say as I don't know.

Mike
Old 08-31-2008, 09:34 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
We tested several cars at Aerodyn's windtunnel in Mooresville, NC. and noticed significant differences in numbers on the car WITH fenderliners... Which cars do and which don't have them, I can't say as I don't know.

Mike
So Mike I read your post as that you are definitely saying that the aerodynamic are better with fender liners. Is that correct?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

That is correct. The liner, in combination with the other components (Under trays/ Spoilers/ ducts) are all working together. You have to think of it as a total package when thinking aero. What you do in one area needs to be balanced in others.

Here's the kicker... You pull those fender liners out up front, and you start with dirty, disturbed air at a fairly critical area that will continue to cause problems at the fender openings, under the car (you don't want any more turbulance there than already exists) and down the sides, especially at merge points like the A & B pillars.

In theory, a car with all the plastics and liners in place will be faster than the car with them removed... All else being equal. I know ZERO about the 924/944 chassis. But that said, it's the basic principle that is still in play.

Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 944 turbo Cups did not have them, and I wish they did. The dents from stones thrown from the wheels do quite a bit of damage to the fenders..
Old 09-01-2008, 04:18 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweanders
The 944 turbo Cups did not have them, and I wish they did. The dents from stones thrown from the wheels do quite a bit of damage to the fenders..
I wouldn't think they would be hard to add to a Turbo cup, and they weigh next to nothing.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by dmilzoff
I needed to remove the front fender liner for brake ducts and thought about not reinstalling them (to reduce weight).
?
Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

I would guess that areo would be diminshed without them. Porsche

Just a notion.
Originally Posted by Bull
They protect against dings in the fender area, "outies", from stones, etc. hitting the fender from the inside. .
Both Bull and Redline tell you / us exaclty why i would recommend keeping them.
Outies are NOT pretty

be safe

Craig
Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I wouldn't think they would be hard to add to a Turbo cup, and they weigh next to nothing.
Well, the new owner of "my" car has that worry now..
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 84 chassis did not have fender liners. Most 944 spec cars remove them to save weight.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I cut holes in a previously owned 993 to run the ducting. My GT4 car does not have them. The assault from rocks to the fenders and quarters is unbelievable.

Quick Reply: Are fender Liners necessary?