Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS: Detroit Belle Isle by Bosch with live qual video

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008 | 05:49 PM
MTosi
User

Stupid F**king ALMS, just when I was about to pay them a compliment about how F1 shoudd take some hints, they hand out a penalty (deserved or not is up for debate) and kill a good race
Old 08-30-2008 | 06:00 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

but that penalty is in line with other ones in the past.

Long hit the GT2 Viper at St. Pete and Dumas hit the # 40 Ford GT-R of Robertson Racing at Lime Rock in practice.

http://www.robertsonrace.com/mainmenu.html
Old 08-30-2008 | 06:22 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Inline yes... but ticky-tack IMHO.
Old 08-30-2008 | 06:27 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Congo
but that penalty is in line with other ones in the past.

Long hit the GT2 Viper at St. Pete and Dumas hit the # 40 Ford GT-R of Robertson Racing at Lime Rock in practice.

http://www.robertsonrace.com/mainmenu.html
I don't realy give two hoots how in line it was with other penalties or whether it was deserved or not, I'm a spectator, I watch the commercials and sponsors on the cars, and I want to see a good race......
Old 08-30-2008 | 06:30 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

I was just ticked he had to hit another P-car AND get penalized to boot!
Old 08-30-2008 | 08:22 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, Timo stuck his nose in there, but it's a close call whether the contact was "unavoidable." I'm sure he figured the Lizard car, leading GT2 at the time, wouldn't close the door on him, but unfortunately van Oberbeek didn't see Timo there and came down to the apex. Seemed like more of just a racing incident to me.

Kind of a shame that Maasen gets bumped for Briscoe to drive, and then Penske makes Bricoe's #7 car give up a possible podium spot to save points for the #6 Spyder.

Nice job by the Flying Lizards going 1-2 despite the unfortunate incident with the Spyder.

Old 08-31-2008 | 01:27 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Nice job by the Flying Lizards going 1-2 despite the unfortunate incident with the Spyder.

Yeah, very nice, almost 1-2-3 even.

Hope the Lizards lock the championship at Petit so they can really savor the limelight at Laguna Seca after years of hard work.....
Old 08-31-2008 | 11:03 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Most disappointing for the Spyders!
Accura now leads the manufacturer championship by 4 points.
Porsche (Penske) will have to get their act together for Petit Le Mans.

OK latest rumors:

Some say no Penske Porsches for 09.
Same people say that Penske Spyders may be sold to Walker Racing

Other people (usually quite well informed) say there's a Porsche LMP1 already being tested.
Coincidences: - Sascha Massen was the development driver for the RS Spyder. Is he being sent back to the factory for "development" duty for the P1 car? (if it exists)
I remember reading some time ago an interview with Dumas where he stated that it was very important for Porsche to score the most points possible at the start of the season, as things would get much tougher after Le Mans. How did he know the Acuras were going to be much closer?; maybe he knew that Porsche would be focusing their development work on the LMP1 car (if it exists).

There's always a lot of rumors at this stage of the season. So far only the possible LMP1 one is positive.
Most of the rumors surrounding Porsche's involvement in prototype racing are not so positive.
Old 08-31-2008 | 02:17 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Timo chopped the other car as he had no right to that line...his front wheel needs to be next to the door of the car being overtook. He didn't need to make that move and I think the penalty was fair - simple stop and go not a timed stop.

I'm hoping that LMP1 will field Audi, Peugeot, Acura, and Porsche - that will make it exciting. But I really enjoyed watching this race due to the similar speed a very twisty and bumpy track - where GTs cars were able to hold their own and even stay with the GT1 - even some of the prototypes were slower than some GT2 (light and nimble but very low on power in comparison).
Old 08-31-2008 | 10:23 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Default Lame move.

You got your numbers backwards, but its just plain crap to fake a tire problem to get points for your other car. Acura is killing the Spyders. They gotta be up big for manuafacturers points.

I'm not so sure that Massen is gone for good. I bet they just threw Briscoe in the car because he has much more experience (and is faster) on the course.

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Well, Timo stuck his nose in there, but it's a close call whether the contact was "unavoidable." I'm sure he figured the Lizard car, leading GT2 at the time, wouldn't close the door on him, but unfortunately van Oberbeek didn't see Timo there and came down to the apex. Seemed like more of just a racing incident to me.

Kind of a shame that Maasen gets bumped for Briscoe to drive, and then Penske makes Bricoe's #7 car give up a possible podium spot to save points for the #6 Spyder.

Old 08-31-2008 | 10:56 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
You got your numbers backwards, but its just plain crap to fake a tire problem to get points for your other car. Acura is killing the Spyders. They gotta be up big for manuafacturers points.

I'm not so sure that Massen is gone for good. I bet they just threw Briscoe in the car because he has much more experience (and is faster) on the course.
Oops, I stand corrected on the Penske car numbers; I misread them on the ALMS web page race results. In any event, the announcers did seem rather disgusted by the whole "points" maneuver at the end.

Hope you're right about Maassen too.
Old 09-01-2008 | 09:39 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

The same Audi that hit the wall had spun two turns before that (I think it's turn 8). Also one of the Flying lizards spun/slid sideways at nine and stopped about six inches from the tire wall.
Old 09-01-2008 | 12:38 PM
Spyderidol
Racer

Originally Posted by jaje
Timo chopped the other car as he had no right to that line...his front wheel needs to be next to the door of the car being overtook. He didn't need to make that move and I think the penalty was fair - simple stop and go not a timed stop.

I'm hoping that LMP1 will field Audi, Peugeot, Acura, and Porsche - that will make it exciting. But I really enjoyed watching this race due to the similar speed a very twisty and bumpy track - where GTs cars were able to hold their own and even stay with the GT1 - even some of the prototypes were slower than some GT2 (light and nimble but very low on power in comparison).

Actually Van Overbeek has admitted that it was his fault.
He let the Acura through but did not see the Spyder and closed the door.
Old 09-01-2008 | 01:30 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spyderidol
Actually Van Overbeek has admitted that it was his fault. He let the Acura through but did not see the Spyder and closed the door.
I'm sure he was...well talked to by his team with Porsche NA standing behind him. He did not see him b/c he wasn't next to him. From my racing education and practice you must give room only if the overtaking car has his front wheel next to your door - if you do not have this position and you contact the car you are trying to overtake it is your fault (now if Van Overbeek had been weaving and blocking right before this that might have mitigated the contact to a "racing incident"). However, Van Overbeek had 100% right to take his line. The Acura got by him b/c he was next to him under braking - Timo simply dove into the apex after Van Overbeek already committed to his line.

Since this is a Porsche board we are well...very attached to our passion for our cars. In all honesty the discussion here would be more critical if Van Overbeek was taken out by an Audi or Acura under the exact same circumstances and Van Overbeek would have likely had a different comment. Just like with any manufacturer based enthusiast board would have to their favorite make.
Old 09-01-2008 | 01:42 PM
Spyderidol
Racer

You are right of course, but remember that the two cars are in completely different classes and were not competing against each other. Bernhard must have thought that if the Van Overbeek made way for the Acura, that he would do the same for him. A racing incident;that's all.

Quick Reply: ALMS: Detroit Belle Isle by Bosch with live qual video