Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iRacing.com opens to everyone

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Cassandra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 100% ready to sign up for this, but I'm on a Mac.

I run parallels, but without a free trial to see how this would run on it, I'll have to pass.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Wait until you have a LOT of time to judge it as I can almost guarantee your disappointment in driving the standard Solstice when coming from GTR2's myriad of choices.
Are you able to adjust a car's setup in iRacing? I can't tell from the web site.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Are you able to adjust a car's setup in iRacing? I can't tell from the web site.
Not initially, you run (as does everyone else) a standard setup. The good thing about that is a level playing field and you have to learn to adapt.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cassandra

I run parallels, but without a free trial to see how this would run on it, I'll have to pass.
It's a whopping $20 for a month's trial! You Mac guys spend double or triple on the box (vs. a PC) yet cry about the cost of a lunch!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Cassandra
Instructor

It's a whopping $20 for a month's trial! You Mac guys spend double or triple on the box (vs. a PC) yet cry about the cost of a lunch!
I don't justify spending money on a piece of software I'm not positive can run on my computer. That's not a statement about the cost of membership - it's a statement about my personal philosophy towards purchasing computer software.

Sounds like a great system though. I'll keep my eye on it for Mac support in the future.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I don't justify spending money on a piece of software I'm not positive can run on my computer. That's not a statement about the cost of membership - it's a statement about my personal philosophy towards purchasing computer software.

Sounds like a great system though. I'll keep my eye on it for Mac support in the future.
I think you'll eventually need a dedicated "track computer" and the full sim seat and 51" plasma screen, so you might as well buy the PC now. Sounds familiar doesn't it?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

An easy way to get an idea is to download and try rFactor (it's free to try). If you can run that well with a lot of cars on the track then I would say iRacing would be no problem. You can get started here - http://www.icer.net/Rennsim.htm
Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Cassandra
Instructor

An easy way to get an idea is to download and try rFactor (it's free to try). If you can run that well with a lot of cars on the track then I would say iRacing would be no problem. You can get started here - http://www.icer.net/Rennsim.htm
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:40 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

It won't work with Mac and probably never will. You need to run Windows XP or Vista native so unless you have a X86 Mac that dual boots windows and mac then your out of luck.
The graphics card and cpu are really important because your over all game experience will suffer if you don't have the minimum requirements. You will also need a steering wheel, the logitech G25 is a good choice. The steering wheel also specs require windows XP or vista.

I would go with what Potomac-Greg mentioned. You could pick up a PC for less then $500 that fits the requirements.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:10 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I am still hooked up on Xbox live, playing Forza 2. Though it is fun getting beat by all the 12 year olds. The sim sounds much more fair and puts everyone in the same level of racing.

The problem with the console games are that they allow the game to be played with a game pad. 99% of the racers don't have a steering wheel. The other issue is that the cars can be upgraded and tuned. If your not good and tuning a car you will get killed. Though you could force stock cars and have everyone use the same car, its very hard to get people to join your race when you restrict these things.

This sim sounds like a perfect way to have fair races and the people who join it are doing it for the same reason. I would love to join but I think I'll have to pass until I have the room needed to setup a simulation play seat and monitor. Hopefully a GT3 class comes out but that time.

Anyone know if you can have or do have a 3 monitor setup for this game?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes iRacing does support three monitors.

Mac is not supported now but that could change in the future.
Kevin
Old 08-27-2008, 04:30 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin135
Yes iRacing does support three monitors.

Mac is not supported now but that should change in the future.
Kevin
Fixed it for ya.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Barfly
Racer

It's a nice sim with very accurate feedback and track representations. Definitely recommended for those with PCs.

______
Jason
Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Fixed it for ya.
Now to get logitech to build drivers for Mac
Old 08-27-2008, 09:33 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Now to get logitech to build drivers for Mac
Yeah, I suppose if I really cared, I'd just boot into XP/Vista and run my Mac as a PC. The thought is almost too revolting to do it, though.

Quick Reply: iRacing.com opens to everyone