Sponsored by:

You can't win all your DEs.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to know the dynamics of the car when you got on the grass from that video. You either were on the brakes and locked the rears, or the car was loaded to the left side. As Brian said, the save opportunity was there, but prior to entering the grass.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I'm not sure I would ever call spinning back across the track and doing a 180 degree tank slapper by not going both feet in to at least allow the car to spin in a predictable manner the "better" option. It worked in this case, but it's still a pretty low percentage play for the exit of a slightly blind high speed sweeper where many cars come around the bend foot to the floor.
Its a little hard to be sure, but the video shows that a quick 'both feet in' as soon as he left the track would most likely have resulted in contact with the wall to the left. His velocity vector was definitely wall-bound. By waiting until he had tried to straighten it out a little, he actually held it off the wall. Maybe that was slow response, and far from optimal, but it saved the day in this case.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I know a couple of other guys who have done the same thing by running out of track and going into the grass at 7. They managed to keep the car straight and rather than pinch the car, trying to get it back on the tarmac ASAP, they drove on the grass for a bit in a straight line and went back on the track at a later point as the track naturally turns to the left a bit.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Its a little hard to be sure, but the video shows that a quick 'both feet in' as soon as he left the track would most likely have resulted in contact with the wall to the left.
I don't advocate both feet in as soon as the car leaves the track. I advocate straightening the wheel and seeing whether you can drive alongside the track.

But once the car steered a bit away from the wall and is spinning, both feet in would have caused the car to travel more parallel alongside the track, maybe still entering the track before stopping, but at a slower speed further down and in a predictable manner to anyone coming from behind. Instead the car rifles back ACROSS the track at a pretty significant angle and then does a 180 degree tank slapper right in the middle of the track surface...notice he rotates all of the way around till he is facing the wrong way and then it slaps back around to face the correct direction. That's a NIGHTMARE situation for the car coming up behind who has no idea which direction to go.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:45 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, Bryan. Good point.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad u and the car are safe.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks guys.....

How about answering my question?

Could the spin have been saved once I was in the grass at over 90 MPH?

Should I have done something different once in the grass, or at that point all
the drivers efforts are futile?
Of course it could've been saved but it is bouncy with very little grip so it for sure ain't easy. And before going to the grass, you could've saved it (easier than when on grass). It looked like you could've "slide it through" but in a way, going to the grass was safer.

I don't know how experienced you are but you actually did pretty well (I though you were not gonna spin), once you realized you were not gonna make the turn, you eased to the grass.
Problem was you still were going to the wrong direction (wall was waiting) so you needed to steer slightly to the right, doing that made it more difficult of not to spin.

Glad to see it ended well.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad you were OK; lots of folks have tried to save it at 7, come across the track and smacked the inner wall with force. Glad you're not one of them!
I agree with the 'straighten it out and run on the grass for a bit' idea.
Bad place to be early.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:37 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
You . . . ha! . . . let a . . .ha! . . 944 . . . ha! . . . pass you!
It was a Turbo and with an instructor driving......to be exact......
Old 08-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

yikes, glad that turned out like it did Paolo
Old 08-26-2008, 03:46 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I'm not sure I would ever call spinning back across the track and doing a 180 degree tank slapper by not going both feet in to at least allow the car to spin in a predictable manner the "better" option. It worked in this case, but it's still a pretty low percentage play for the exit of a slightly blind high speed sweeper where many cars come around the bend foot to the floor.
Bryan, not sure if you have ever been to LCMT.......

Turn 7 is off camber and is best approached (as the instructors that have thousands of laps there tell me) with neutral throttle till the apex, only then foot to the floor.......
Old 08-26-2008, 03:52 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
At 1:12, right about when you are about at the apex cone, I see a quick counter-steer left. Was the car sliding there already? I'm surprised you couldn't stay on the gas through there but never having driven there I am not one to say..
Yes it was.....

At that point I decided to straighten out and only lift on the grass....

No brakes yet, I was hoping to lose enough momentum on the grass and get back on track......

Then the left wall was approaching and thus turned a little to the right ended on the track but couldn't save it at that time and that is when both feet went in........

It all happened so fast.....
Old 08-26-2008, 04:01 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

I don't know how experienced you are but you actually did pretty well (I though you were not gonna spin), once you realized you were not gonna make the turn, you eased to the grass.
Problem was you still were going to the wrong direction (wall was waiting) so you needed to steer slightly to the right, doing that made it more difficult of not to spin.
I am not very experienced at all, I started this DE thing last year......

I think you described exactly what was going on in my head at the time.....
(I also thought I wasn't going to spin....)

Once I realized I wasn't going to save it because of too much momentum and the slide to my left, both feet went in......and that was the end of that.....
Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Once I realized I wasn't going to save it because of too much momentum and the slide to my left, both feet went in......and that was the end of that.....
If you went both feet in, you did it too late...the car was already shooting back across the track. You also pulled your foot off the brake after the car got to the center of the track, which is the reason the car reversed from spinning clockwise to counter-clockwise. The point of going both feet in is to make your spinning car predictable to the car coming behind you...your car was anything BUT predictable. Once the car was "lost" in the grass, going both feet in sooner would have resulted in a lot less dangerous spin for you and the other cars on the track with you.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:49 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I think you would have been able to save it in a 955

Quick Reply: You can't win all your DEs.........