Sponsored by:

I know - old thread - Driving schools

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008 | 08:08 AM
RSA333
Racer

Default I know - old thread - Driving schools

Folks-

After a very recent bad experience in PCA (I am in white/black run groups), where an instructor endangered my life - look at another thread for details. I want some more professional driving instruction. I have worked with David Murry for a couple of days, but now my wife and son (and I) want some 'winter' driving school instruction. I suggested to my wife that she take the PDE women's school, although she is very good at racing (would this be detrimental? - I am skeptical about PDE if they are anything like the 'soft' PCA experience).

I read Skip Barber's book "Going Faster" and it is an exceptional read. But my fear is that his schools are very formulaic. I have heard good things about Bertil Roos.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Please help...

-Gerry
Old 08-26-2008 | 09:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

In what part of the country are you? Perhaps intense, focused, private professional instruction a la what you got from Dave Murry would work again?
Old 08-26-2008 | 10:11 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Not knowing what your experience was makes my recommendation more generic. Like VR says, what would probably be the best is in-car private instruction from a professional or talented amateur that you trust and are comfortable with. Driving styles DO matter, and you need to get someone who drives like you do (i.e. buttoned down, or big trailbraker, or pitch and catch, or slides the car alot). You will not benefit from being taught by someone who's style is radically different than yours, unless they are that good where they can adapt to the way that you like to drive.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-26-2008 | 10:36 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

^^ what he said ^^

Quick Reply: I know - old thread - Driving schools