Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Spinout

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008 | 01:20 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I think you have a brake bias issue as others have stated. Have a reputable shop check it out. I know TKX in Huntington does a lot of 951 work.

BTW I hate going off!

At least I got back on the saddle, still it was fun, some other nice cars too!
(Good thing there's a car wash right down da road!)
Attached Images    

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 08-27-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2008 | 02:34 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

- i just didn't expect to see the car rotate like it did when it did

- does this car have a LSD? - if it does, you may want to check that it is working

- the nature of the spin looks like you snapped off the brakes (i.e. a rookie mistake or you attempted to rotate the car)
- but as you are posting this you must feel that you didn't snap off the brakes
- we all make mistakes, only you will know if maybe you did come off the brakes way too abruptly and didn't get back on the gas asap or were waiting to counter
- this spin reminds me off an exercise that i did at the skip barber 3 day race school - i.e. go into the corner too hot and lift off the throttle and then practise catching the rotation (in your case you were on the brakes - but same situation)

- As mentioned earlier, an empty parking lot should be able to reveal if you have a bias issue but before you go spending money chasing a problem that may not exist, you have to ask yourself honestly if you snapped off the brakes (TBO) and weren't ready to catch the rotation

- glad you saved the car and didn't have to write a check for blue paint
Old 08-26-2008 | 05:54 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by eclou
braking torque is off between the fronts and rears - combo of suboptimal bias valving or mismatched pads. I had the same issue running Pagid Oranges in front and Hawk HP+ in the rear (accidentally) - the rear end would pendulum quickly under hard braking when hot. The rear pads get waaay outside their temp range and basically you have no rear braking
Last time at the Glen I was using Pagid Blacks up front and Performance Frictions in the rear. Going down to the laces after the carousel i lost the rear when braking. (Not as bad as this) and I assumed because it was the mismatched pads. This time I was running Performance Frictions all around.

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
Have you ever felt the car about to do the same thing before or after this event? If this is a street car and you can go to an open parking lot in the rain you may be able to repeat this if you have too much rear brake bias. Are your brakes stock other than pads? Were you trail braking on purpose? If so, you may want to be cautious when trail braking, until you get your brakes figured out. I went through a similar experience and found out my car did not have a stock proportioning valve installed. I think the previous owner set it up primarily for auto-x and liked a rear brake bias. It was not so good that way in wet conditions.
Brakes are stock for a Turbo S. Bigger brakes up front than the regular turbo.

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Dan, I would suggest checking both rear calipers to make sure that the pistons move freely (run them full stroke). If that is ok, then I would replace the proportioning valve. This is assuming that you do have a mechanical issue; not knowing your level of driving ability, it is something that an experienced driver can feel.
Run them full stroke ? (sorry)

I have spent the end of last season and this season in yellow s/o (signed off to drive solo). I was just moved up to white.
(our classing goes green, yellow, yellow s/o, white, black, red)

Originally Posted by RICHVIZZ951
aside from an early entry, (def overbraking in 10 and 11, figured it was the classic T10 spinout at first) did look to me like a mechanical, or setup or both issue, but dont have sound on my work pc, brakes easy enough to check out. What are you running? stock or big reds/blacks?? a 928 bias control works well in your car and I have had them go bad before. For Pagids, on big blacks its pretty common to run organges in the front and blacks in the rear. I got away from the big blacks a while ago tho, than went to orange all around.
At the time i started to skid i was on the brake and had not started to turn in.

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- i just didn't expect to see the car rotate like it did when it did

- does this car have a LSD? - if it does, you may want to check that it is working

- the nature of the spin looks like you snapped off the brakes (i.e. a rookie mistake or you attempted to rotate the car)
- but as you are posting this you must feel that you didn't snap off the brakes
- we all make mistakes, only you will know if maybe you did come off the brakes way too abruptly and didn't get back on the gas asap or were waiting to counter
- this spin reminds me off an exercise that i did at the skip barber 3 day race school - i.e. go into the corner too hot and lift off the throttle and then practise catching the rotation (in your case you were on the brakes - but same situation)

- As mentioned earlier, an empty parking lot should be able to reveal if you have a bias issue but before you go spending money chasing a problem that may not exist, you have to ask yourself honestly if you snapped off the brakes (TBO) and weren't ready to catch the rotation

- glad you saved the car and didn't have to write a check for blue paint
Car has an LSD. How do I check if it is working?

I didn't snap snap off the brakes. I was still on the brakes when I started skidding.

The rear really came around quickly. I have been in skids before and saved some that others and myself thought I was gone. with instructors in my car they all remarked that I have good car control. Although the wheel did seem to slip i still feel that I couldn't save it as to how quickly the rear came around.

Edit: Actually I just looked again and I don't think the wheel was slipping.
Old 08-26-2008 | 06:01 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

LARRY WROTE:[QUOTE] It could be a lot of things; proportioning valve not working properly, a stuck piston, a shock problem. The best thing that you can do is to have an expert drive your car, preferably one who knows 951s. They should be able to immediately recognize any problems.[/QUOTE

I have an 89 S. If you haven't rebuilt the caliper recently they are over do on your 20 year old car. I agree with Larry after watching. At first I thought you droped a left front wheel, but think something locked up on the rear. You may want to stop shuffling in mid turn T-9 (move your hands on the wheel while your stright for corner entry) (T1,7,8 are really the only places you need to do it at WGI) and the turn in on 10 looked early. Good job to stay of the blue bushes.
Old 08-26-2008 | 06:17 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jeeper31
Run them full stroke ? (sorry)
Using a block of wood as a spacer, or with them on the car using worn out pads, move each piston individually from fully extended to fully compressed and back again (full stroke). It should not take a lot of pressure to move them. If so, they are hanging up.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-26-2008 | 06:28 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Using a block of wood as a spacer, or with them on the car using worn out pads, move each piston individually from fully extended to fully compressed and back again (full stroke). It should not take a lot of pressure to move them. If so, they are hanging up.
This is where my lack of mechanical knowledge comes in (forgive me). I know how to compress the postons individually but how would i etend them individually. The only way I can think of extending them is to step on the brake.
Old 08-26-2008 | 06:32 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jeeper31
This is where my lack of mechanical knowledge comes in (forgive me). I know how to compress the postons individually but how would i etend them individually. The only way I can think of extending them is to step on the brake.
Correct. Use your hand so that you can feel each one, and maybe have a friend watch them to see that they operate smoothly. Usually though, the ones that are causing the problem do not move freely in either direction.
Old 08-26-2008 | 06:36 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Correct. Use your hand so that you can feel each one, and maybe have a friend watch them to see that they operate smoothly. Usually though, the ones that are causing the problem do not move freely in either direction.
I just had the left rear pads out before the event and I do remember not having a difficult time compressing them.
Old 08-26-2008 | 07:07 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Forgot to mention. As far as suspension I have Koni adjustables all around. The fronts set to full stiff, the rears 1/2 stiff. 250 lb springs up front. Stock Torsion bars. 19mm adjustable rear sway set to full stiff and a front 26.8 mm bar.
Old 08-26-2008 | 08:17 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think you have a brake bias issue as others have stated. Have a reputable shop check it out. I know TKX in Huntington does a lot of 951 work.

BTW I hate going off!
Let me guess the pic in yout post: the Octopus???
Old 08-26-2008 | 08:52 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Have you checked your ABS sensors? I would think even with mismatched pads your ABS should have prevented a lock up hard enough to cause the spin.
Old 08-26-2008 | 10:10 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Let me guess the pic in yout post: the Octopus???
You got dat right!
I added some other shots, bring back any memories?
Good thing there is an old school car wash down the road!

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 08-27-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2008 | 11:20 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Nothing wrong with the car. The driver had a habit of braking too deep into 11 and turning the wheel while still on the brakes. We discussed this, no?
Old 08-27-2008 | 05:54 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by SCOTITUDE
Nothing wrong with the car. The driver had a habit of braking too deep into 11 and turning the wheel while still on the brakes. We discussed this, no?
I've re-watched a number of times with lots of audio and my guess would be that you are basically correct - very late braking with too much stearing angle and then not anticipating the rear end might come around - a very faster counter with some throttle for grip could have had a chance of saving it.

Every car is different but having done WG many times in my 997gt3 with an upgraded Paul Guard 50/80 LSD, I just do not believe "my" car would act that way
Old 08-27-2008 | 07:12 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by SCOTITUDE
And in a 944/951, the "save" move when the back steps out is to stab the gas and transfer the weight back to the rear tires (but only if you catch it quickly). Probably too far, too fast in this case.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Spinout