Sponsored by:

SCCA Race this weekend at New Jersey Motorsports park

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:28 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts
Default SCCA Race this weekend at New Jersey Motorsports park

Run the lighting track, looks very easy to learn even with the lack of track time you get at an SCCA race.

There is a severe lack of cars, you can just show up and they will be VERY happy to see you. We'll all in the same group for all sports cars, I'll have my old 911. PCA license is sufficient.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mike,

Raced at Lightening with EMRA last month (very 1st race weekend at NJMP). I've not run with SCCA before and really can't make it this weekend (wifey's b'day), but would absolutely like to attend if there's another SCCA date later in the season.

As matters stand we'll see you at the Lightening PCA (Schattenbaum Region) club race next month.

Ciao.

Richard
Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NNJR is holding a regional at NJMP this coming weekend and at the last minute they will be hosting a PDX on Sunday. The cost is $150 and you get 3 20 minute sessions. You will need a helmet and a hardtop. They will provide classroom instruction and a instructor. This is a great opportunity to get on the track for little money and hopefully grow the SCCA base of members and workers.

Show up at the track 8AM to register this Sunday. Go to www.scca-nnjr.com to learn more about this event or give Bob Zecca a call at Driving Impressions 1-800-275-4667.

There is also a Driving Impressions Pro-IT race http:/www.njrrs.com/proit.html which has a new sponsor, Tifosi Optics.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

You guys missed a great event, I think I was the only Porsche racing. There was a DE on the Thunderbolt course with a bunch of Porsches there and about 100 BMWs. There were also a ton of BMWs racing with the SCCA.

The track is very cool, some tight corners and a few technical corners and the last carousel which is VERY fast, I could take it in 4th flat or 3rd nervously if I needed a bit more acceleration on the exit. Sorry I dont have a camera in my old car anymore. In the qualifying race I finished 4th ahead of a T1 Corvette and just behind an AS Mustang. Two ITS cars were in the top positions (BMW and RX7). In the race I got a decent start and passed the Mustang for the lead within a few laps. He held up the BMW for most of the race so I built up a solid lead. But when lapped traffic came up, the BMW caught back up to me. He was faster in the slow turns but I held him off for the overall win and fastest race lap.

The traffic going down from CT was TERRIBLE on a Friday, it took 6 hours... coming back I took the I-287 loop way around the NYC area and it was much better, 5 hours, still losing half an hour on I-95 in southern NJ congestion. But the racing was a blast so it was well worth it. The old '73 911 (on 2 year old Hoosiers with 4 races on them) is as difficult to drive at the limit as the cup car and more physically demanding- a 32 minute race in it beats you up more than a 90 minute enduro in the cup car. I found I still really enjoy bringing the car to a race with no crew and doing it all myself.

See you there at the PCA race, the F guys can shoot for my mid 1:16s.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

I was going to go for the pdx but had to do some other stuff instead. How many cars showed up for the pdx? I know it was a last minute thing so I was planning on a light turnout which was better than the 100 cars they were looking for. They were going to split the cars into 2 groups. I can't imagine anywhere near 50 cars on the track at the same time.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

There was a decent showup for the PDX, but the track was pretty empty. Maybe under 20 cars per group? I heard the instruction in the classrooms when I picked up my timing sheets and it seemed very good. SCCA is trying to get these DE type events going, a good idea to slow the graying of the club.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by analogmike
SCCA is trying to get these DE type events going, a good idea to slow the graying of the club.
Maybe if every national class (excluding SRF and questionably SM) didn't require an unlimited budget to even be in contention, that would help. As a younger person NASA appeals alot more, since they actually have classes that are in the relm of afforability....
Old 08-25-2008, 08:56 PM
95m3racer
Pro

You guys should check out the Driving Impressions Pro-IT. Affordable fun, well sized race groups, great sponsors, great prizes, and a great group of guys (and gals).

October 17-19 is the next event.

http://www.njrrs.com/proit.html

Quick Reply: SCCA Race this weekend at New Jersey Motorsports park