Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 FORMULA 1 VALENCIA GRAND PRIX PREVIEW AND DISCUSSION

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008 | 05:52 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

So he's good on tires, but hard on mechanicals??
Old 08-25-2008 | 06:08 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
DNFs at McLaren 10.01.2006
Kimi: 32 DNFs at McLaren
• 87 Grand Prix Races with McLaren.
• 32 DNFs. That’s 36.8% of DNFs.
Reasons for DNF:
• 12 times Engine
• 7 times Wreck
3 times Wing Failure
• 10 times Other Mechanical Failures
Thanks for that, I had been looking for it but hadn't been able to find it, the wings failures were by far the most disturbing. Thats almost a season and half of mechanical failures, and alot happened while leading.

Originally Posted by Ritter
I hear wing failures are caused by drivers who are hard on the car

Also it obvious he cause them because during that time his teammates didn't have mechanical failures...

The era of driver infulence on mechanicals has long since past (especially on engines and trannys), mainly due to the adoption of rev limiters and sequentials (which btw I think is stupid, I want standards back).
Old 08-25-2008 | 10:04 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Nothing complex Kimi just hasn't showed up the last 3 races and ended up going thru the motions. Unless Ferrari gives him the boot at the end of the year he'll be around for at 2009 and end his contract.

Massa and Hamilton on the other hand are coming out with something to prove and putting the smack down.

Coulthard though needs to run straight into a wall and break a leg, so he can spend the rest of his season on crutches, he's a hack.
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter
LOL +10
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:21 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL +10
In that same period of time the other team car had 22 (MOY, Wurz, Del Rosa, COU).....
Old 08-26-2008 | 12:33 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

After watching the race... I'll say that,
1)valencia sucks! (there are other european tracks lot better than this street course-Brands Hatch comes to mind)
2)Hammy,Kimi, and Nakajima SUCKS!
3)ALMS race had better racing!
Old 08-26-2008 | 09:44 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSchoeni
Given the amount of money being spent, why are the cars not set up to each driver's preferences?
_____
bs
They are but it's little different. They don't do separate cars that would be different aerodynamically & mechanically. They some times might use some little different aero parts but not really.

If the car mechanically & aerodynamicaaly is, for example, understeering type, for a driver who prefers understeer, it's easy to set-up properly and the car will be fast because you don't have to compromise in order to make it work.
If the other driver doesn't like understeer, he needs to compromise, add more wing in front, take some out rear, adjust camber shocks etc. setting in order to make it work for him and all of that adjustment makes it more and more a compromise which in the end is slower.
(i.e. you need to add front wing so that adds drag, or you take rear wing off but then you have less grip than what you could have etc.)

Originally Posted by f8vr993
...ALMS race had better racing!
Absolutely, I only watched it yeasterday and that was awesome!
Old 08-26-2008 | 11:03 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
They are but it's little different. They don't do separate cars that would be different aerodynamically & mechanically. They some times might use some little different aero parts but not really.

If the car mechanically & aerodynamicaaly is, for example, understeering type, for a driver who prefers understeer, it's easy to set-up properly and the car will be fast because you don't have to compromise in order to make it work.
If the other driver doesn't like understeer, he needs to compromise, add more wing in front, take some out rear, adjust camber shocks etc. setting in order to make it work for him and all of that adjustment makes it more and more a compromise which in the end is slower.
(i.e. you need to add front wing so that adds drag, or you take rear wing off but then you have less grip than what you could have etc.)

So if what you say is correct and Ferrari corrects this for the Finn and he is suddenly faster than Massa , can it be said that the car now does not work for Massa and he is still faster than Kimi as before.

Maybe Kimi needs to try Alonso's Renault it has equal lack of grip front to Back , he might find it more to his liking and leave the Ferrari for a driver who really wants to win a WDC....
Old 08-26-2008 | 11:47 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MTosi
The era of driver infulence on mechanicals has long since past (especially on engines and trannys), mainly due to the adoption of rev limiters and sequentials (which btw I think is stupid, I want standards back).

Wonder what the "racing" will be like if they bring in 3 pedals and
double H shift gated 6-speed shifting.

Still waiting to see if Bourdais can adapt to F1.
Old 08-26-2008 | 11:48 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Maybe Kimi needs to try Alonso's Renault it has equal lack of grip front to Back , he might find it more to his liking and leave the Ferrari for a driver who really wants to win a WDC....
Perfect! I can see the picture of Kimi and the snippy little Spanish girl in matching suits.

Old 08-26-2008 | 12:16 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by ew928
Old 08-26-2008 | 12:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ew928

Still waiting to see if Bourdais can adapt to F1.
Never happen Seabass is out to sea , now was he any better than Scott Speed ...
aagh , me thinks not ! as predicted a year ago ...
Old 08-26-2008 | 01:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Pit biscuit overload:

http://f1gp.aol.co.uk/f1-pit-babes

Old 08-26-2008 | 04:10 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

More info on F-Car engine failures. On both cases (Massa in Hungary & Kimi in Valencia) it was the Swiss made crank that failed.

In Valencia Massa had that part strengthtened where as Kimi didn't. That's why Ferrari contemplated on changing Kimi engine for the quali & race but since thst would've meant 10 grid pos. penalty, they took the risk.

Hopefully at Spa engines last...

At Monza Kimi will test 1 day & Massa 2 days.
Old 08-26-2008 | 04:33 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Ferrari will make sure that this won't happen again...having said that, all that means is that they will never say that's the reason for the next engine failure.

Nevertheless Massa & Ferrari have dominated the last two races and that has to have EVERYONE concerned, not becuase of Massa (although he's getting a lot more consistant) but more so because of Ferrari's potential/realized pace/performance...

Keep in mind Kimi has not forgotten how to drive, he just needs to adjust (IF he can). He's only 13 points behind...

Quick Reply: '08 FORMULA 1 VALENCIA GRAND PRIX PREVIEW AND DISCUSSION