Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Book Review: Porsche High Performance Driving Handbook, 2nd Edition, by Vic Elford.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Book Review: Porsche High Performance Driving Handbook, 2nd Edition, by Vic Elford.

I received a bunch of Porsche related books a few weeks ago courtesy of Motorbooks.com to read and review.

One of the books (featured in the title of this post) is on performance driving. As my track experience is very limited, I had asked a friend (with much more experience) to review. She seemed to really enjoy the book and provides a well written critique.

The paragraph below is her summary and links to the full review if you're interested.

The Porsche High Performance Driving Handbook is perhaps the perfect companion gift for the new Porsche owner. Technical explanations are clear and well illustrated, even to non-engineers. The book’s conversational style makes it seem as if one is sitting with the racing legend, taking in technique secrets and enjoying unbelievable stories of his days on the track (and off). Do you know anyone who is interested in becoming a better driver? This is the book to get for them.

I still have a few more books that I need reviews on (as explained in the article.) So, if anyone is interested please let me know.

Thanks,

John
Old 08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Vic Elford book last year and enjoyed reading it, but I don't think it's the best book out there on the topic of high performance driving. Much of it reads like a Vic Elford biography with a lot of focus on Vic's accomplishments rather than the technical art of driving. If you are a Vic Elford fan, the book is enjoyable in that regard. But I think my version is an earlier version.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:26 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TR6
I bought the Vic Elford book last year and enjoyed reading it, but I don't think it's the best book out there on the topic of high performance driving. Much of it reads like a Vic Elford biography with a lot of focus on Vic's accomplishments rather than the technical art of driving. If you are a Vic Elford fan, the book is enjoyable in that regard. But I think my version is an earlier version.
Hi Greg,

Yes, there are two versions of the book. You might have this one? I think it's much older

EDIT: Sorry, the link above doesn't seem to be working. There is a first edition, but I can't seem to link directly to it. Sorry.

To be clear, I don't think Valerie says that it is the "best book on high performance driving" just that it is a good read with good tips.

I'm going to check out the 1st edition.

John
Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
Hi Greg,

Yes, there are two versions of the book. You might have this one? I think it's much older.

To be clear, I don't think Valerie says that it is the "best book on high performance driving" just that it is a good read with good tips.

I'm going to check out the 1st edition.

John
Yeah, mine is the first edition. Its the one with the Porsche 964 on the cover.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TR6
Yeah, mine is the first edition. Its the one with the Porsche 964 on the cover.
Yup, that's it. Not sure if it is still for sale or not. If not, I might ask to see if Motorbooks with send it along.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

I have the new edition. I enjoyed it, and especially the photos, but it is still primarily a biography. Now I need to find a real performance driving book.

Quick Reply: Book Review: Porsche High Performance Driving Handbook, 2nd Edition, by Vic Elford.