Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA VIR Club Race Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 06:41 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
He doesn't drive it on the street as it is a total track conversion. However, it is still street legal.

All the people that didn't come down missed a great event and FABULOUS weather!

I think I placed 3rd in the DE race yesterday behind Matt and Jim and 1st today
I place first in DE stock class . Turned a personal best as well.
Old 08-10-2008 | 07:47 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Dell and Rmag, What were your times??? Loving hearing all the action...

Mike
Old 08-10-2008 | 09:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Mike, I'll post up the video here in a sec. I'm in the process of convertig the video so I can upload to vimeo. I ran my best times to date! Running consistent 2:03's and 04's yesterday and today. I only have video from yesterday as I let Chris L. borrow my camera for the two sprints. I'll post the link in a new thread shortly.
Old 08-10-2008 | 10:37 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

2:03s is flying in a street car, wow... thanks for stopping by the F-L "compound"

Colin was flying in the enduro today, was leading by several seconds when I had to get ready for ours.

I lead the enduro for a few laps behind the pace car, the boobie prize for pitting late AFTER the full course yellow... so I lost a few laps due to poor pit stop timing/luck but had a good race anyway though it was slipprier than snot in T1 and I was locking up my brakes a lot.

I still don't know the tricks of the track, there is a lot more time out there. It's a great track because you can go pretty fast after just a few sessions, but can get a lot faster with more practice.

Stuck in SC due to a cancelled flight, I hate aa....
Old 08-10-2008 | 11:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Mike, looked good out there! Enjoyed watching y'all put on a great show. Sorry about the flight delay.....at least you can reflect over what a fantastic weekend this was

I posted a video of some of my laps in a new thread here on the racing/de forum. Feel free to comment.

And yes, T1 was slick. I went out in the first session this morning with the track wet and drizzle from T9-T14 for part of the session. I was able to crank out some 2:06's but damn, climbing the esses in the wet is not for the faint of heart
Old 08-10-2008 | 11:27 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

MIke i came by a few time but never got to meet you... some day i will race and i can take my street car to the racing level..! when the kids get a little older..

I did get some great wake Boarding and wake surfing in this afternoon! run some fast laps at VIr then hit the Wake board on the Mastercraft later that afternoon! how great this weekend was~!
Old 08-11-2008 | 01:08 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mikew968
What is Mark driving?
Mark was driving a Pat Williams built car. It's an 86 911 turbo with a 4 speed. 3.4 liter twin turbo with a few mods. 74.4 by 98 mm based on the original long block. Here's a picture:

What's even more impressive is the GT2R classed 993 RSR powered by a Pat Williams 3.0 twin turbo that turned a 1:55.6 during the weekend. Here's a picture of it from Barber:
Old 08-11-2008 | 03:43 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike;

I spent all weekend chasing you. Great job! You had me by a couple of seconds each lap. I had to resort to the secret weapon for the enduro...Cory for the second half. He said the handling was trash on my car but I am with you on Turn 1. I had a spectacular save while pushing Gregg Healy along but this was brought on by the fact I was gloating over making him slide then I went into one myself. There were quite a few "offs" as people were getting used to the track. Those who went off at the top of the esses were the unlucky ones. Bummer for Ray Williams. I was behind him and I think he drove through his brakes going into the snack bar turn.

Can't wait to race again.
Old 08-11-2008 | 04:02 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Analog Mike, good meeting you.

Colin, I did not know to look for you. Were you with Mike in the trailer when I introduced myself?

There were so many incredible cars to watch, as well as incredible lap times. #334 GT1R was one of my favorites. I also enjoyed watching the old-skool 934-looking cars. There was a yellow one and a light blue one.

DE Cup results:

Unlimited:
1st Matt in GT2
2nd Jim in C6R
3rd in GT3 "totally stock"

Stock
1st RMag in GT3

I took 1st in "Virginia Beach Stock"

TedA took 1st in "Green and Purple"

John Kopp took 1st in "Stock" M3

Those Baker boys from down south don't get anything because they were just too "BMW", you know?

Matt, I hope you recognized the block I threw on JMac before Hogpen. Thanks for the ride in return.
Old 08-11-2008 | 04:16 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

nice meeting you (again), dbryant.

it was a good weekend. weather cooler than expected and not *that* much carnage. all in all, a great event, hopefully pca will be able to have more of these at this track.
Old 08-11-2008 | 04:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Analog Mike, good meeting you.

Colin, I did not know to look for you. Were you with Mike in the trailer when I introduced myself?

There were so many incredible cars to watch, as well as incredible lap times. #334 GT1R was one of my favorites. I also enjoyed watching the old-skool 934-looking cars. There was a yellow one and a light blue one.

DE Cup results:

Unlimited:
1st Matt in GT2
2nd Jim in C6R
3rd in GT3 "totally stock"

Stock
1st RMag in GT3

I took 1st in "Virginia Beach Stock"

TedA took 1st in "Green and Purple"

John Kopp took 1st in "Stock" M3

Those Baker boys from down south don't get anything because they were just too "BMW", you know?

Matt, I hope you recognized the block I threw on JMac before Hogpen. Thanks for the ride in return.
Wahoo!!!! I made the podium in the unlimited class
Old 08-11-2008 | 04:21 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PMS993
Bummer for Ray Williams. I was behind him and I think he drove through his brakes going into the snack bar turn.
Was he driving the Red Bull cup car in the first sprint race for yellow group? I was watching from turn 4 and saw him go straight off into the tire wall at a high rate of speed. Car didn't seem TOO badly damaged given the speed he was going before hitting the tires.
Old 08-11-2008 | 04:35 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Good meeting you again too, Dave. Dood, you sure have some strange avatars.

Dell, ring up RMag. He has an interesting story about speed bump.
Old 08-11-2008 | 04:37 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

it's not by choice, they PICK ME!!
Old 08-11-2008 | 04:45 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patrick E
Was he driving the Red Bull cup car in the first sprint race for yellow group? I was watching from turn 4 and saw him go straight off into the tire wall at a high rate of speed. Car didn't seem TOO badly damaged given the speed he was going before hitting the tires.
That's the one. You can have some fast momentum approaching this area. It's actually a bend then a turn, both to the left. If you don't take your foot entirely off of the gas while braking with the same foot, you will feel like you've lost your brakes. (Experience talking)

Quick Reply: PCA VIR Club Race Update