Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Noise Restrictions (Road America)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Noise Restrictions (Road America)

Just got my confirmation email for Road America and it says that the "new for 2008" noise restriction of 103db will be strictly enforced. It would really suck to go all that way just to be shot down for loud exhaust.

Anyone know just exactly how strict they are about it?

Where could I get my hands on equipment to check it myself beforehand?

How do they check it? At a certain RPM? As you pass by at high speed? Do they just put a mic down by the tailpipe and have you rev it?

I'm pretty sure I'm legal since I do have a couple of small silencers but it is still pretty loud. I dont think I'm nearly as loud as a GT car so I should be ok.......right?
Old 08-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radio Shack sells a sound meter that well do the trick. Contact RA and ask were they meter the noise and go from there. The height and distance from the car are very important to the outcome of the measurement. Also ask what units they measure, there is a dB A and dB C weighting. Ask if they use average readings or peak readings.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Last edited by Bri Bro; 08-09-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by SWA911
Just got my confirmation email for Road America and it says that the "new for 2008" noise restriction of 103db will be strictly enforced. It would really suck to go all that way just to be shot down for loud exhaust.

How do they check it? At a certain RPM? As you pass by at high speed? Do they just put a mic down by the tailpipe and have you rev it?

I'm pretty sure I'm legal since I do have a couple of small silencers but it is still pretty loud. I dont think I'm nearly as loud as a GT car so I should be ok.......right?
Unless your car is crazy, you'll be fine. I ran last year with straight pipes on my 964, and was fine. Cups are fine, too.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

The last time I worked the race the sound check was between turn 3 and the bridge, on the outside of the track. I believe SCCA has specific rules on sound checks "X feet from the track at right angles". It was a distance from the track. Previously they did not move around although one year we were surprised to find the sound person was moving around. The track repositioned her.

103DB is pretty loud. If you've got a stock class car, my bet is you'll make it. If not, you may want to play with a set of exhaust tips, turned towards the right, assuming that the sound check meter is still on the outside of the track.

The issue for RA, as with a lot of tracks, is that developments are encroaching on the track, even though when it was built and for the next 40+ years it was out in the country. The price we pay to play at a great facility is to have somewhat quieter exhaust.

Frankly, we have had discussions on the PCA club racing rules committee about instituting an across the board DB maximum. I realize all kinds of racers will complain but frankly, if we can save one more track and in the process save the hearing of a lot of participants, staff, etc., it's worth it.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:56 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Thanks guys!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
The last time I worked the race the sound check was between turn 3 and the bridge, on the outside of the track. I believe SCCA has specific rules on sound checks "X feet from the track at right angles". It was a distance from the track. Previously they did not move around although one year we were surprised to find the sound person was moving around. The track repositioned her.

103DB is pretty loud. If you've got a stock class car, my bet is you'll make it. If not, you may want to play with a set of exhaust tips, turned towards the right, assuming that the sound check meter is still on the outside of the track.

The issue for RA, as with a lot of tracks, is that developments are encroaching on the track, even though when it was built and for the next 40+ years it was out in the country. The price we pay to play at a great facility is to have somewhat quieter exhaust.

Frankly, we have had discussions on the PCA club racing rules committee about instituting an across the board DB maximum. I realize all kinds of racers will complain but frankly, if we can save one more track and in the process save the hearing of a lot of participants, staff, etc., it's worth it.
As long as rules and the implementation of the rules is consistent. when you the one or both are inconsistent you have created a bigger problem.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Chulo
Racer

what are you driving? did you ever find someone to ride with you and show you the track?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Frank, I "frankly" don't understand your post.

Are you saying either the implementation or the enforcement of PCA club racing rules is inconsistent?

If so, please give me chapter and verse as to examples.

Regards,
Bruce Boeder
Old 08-10-2008, 10:18 AM
SWA911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chulo
what are you driving? did you ever find someone to ride with you and show you the track?
Ben,

I'm driving a 1978 SC "D" car.

Have not had any offers yet for help learning the track during the test & tune day. You wanna help a brother out? Just looking for 2-3 laps to get an idea of the line. I don't want to take up too much of anyones time.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2008, 10:36 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben,

Have not had any offers yet for help learning the track during the test & tune day. You wanna help a brother out? Just looking for 2-3 laps to get an idea of the line. I don't want to take up too much of anyones time.

Jeff
Jeff,

More gas and less brakes that should make you go faster...hook up with Jay W he will be there in his spbox and knows RA pretty well.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

103dB is quite loud, especially if it is measured well away from the edge of the track.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Chulo
Racer

Ben,

Jeff
Sure. See car in my avatar. Car will be with Midwest Eurosport under their canopies. Ride with a few guys if you can... everyone has their own lines.

See you there.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:48 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Cool! Thanks. I'll look you up for sure..
Old 08-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
103dB is quite loud, especially if it is measured well away from the edge of the track.
103dB is WAY loud. Laguna Seca has a 92dB limit, and they take it seriously....Pass the meter at 93dB and you'll see a black flag. Some of the racers get quite creative with the muffler attachements.

If the attachment won't open, try this link and scroll down at the plethora of muffler solutions.

http://www.sharkbites.com/laguna/index.html
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Muffler.doc (29.0 KB, 99 views)

Quick Reply: Track Noise Restrictions (Road America)