Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca vs. Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:07 PM
mnvelocitypilot
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laguna Seca vs. Sebring

My wife just gave me one h*ll of a birthday present... 3 days at the Skip Barber racing school! I'm thinking of either Laguna Seca or Sebring. For anyone on this forum with experience at both... what's my move here? What would you choose?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by mnvelocitypilot
My wife just gave me one h*ll of a birthday present... 3 days at the Skip Barber racing school! I'm thinking of either Laguna Seca or Sebring. For anyone on this forum with experience at both... what's my move here? What would you choose?

Thanks!
laguna seca...its too beautiful. Stay at the Inn at Spanish Bay, drive 15 to salinas for the school, then dinner in Monterey by 8 pm...amazing place!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:18 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What time of year are you going?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:23 PM
dblapex
Instructor

I have not been to LS but I have taught for Skip Barber in the past. I will tell you to absolutly do the LS school over the SIR school. There is alot more seat time at LS than at SIR, If you do SIR make sure you do full course and not SIR modified.

Good luck,

Brian
Old 08-05-2008, 04:50 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

LAGUNA
Old 08-05-2008, 04:58 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Ditto

P.S. The wife sounds like a keeper.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Even though Sebring is my home track, for that kind of experience I'd go to Laguna Seca too.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Laguna!

LS is a fabulous track, with year round great weather. We have a lot of tracks to choose from in CA, but LS is everybody’s favorite. Dropping into the Corkscrew is like big wave surfing. I'll be there racing with the POC in two weeks and can’t wait

You can get cheap flights into the Monterey A/P with a transfer from SFO. There are some great restaurants in Carmel and Monterey, a couple of local breweries, and Pebble Beach. Bite the $350 green fee bullet and play golf while you’re there.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM
mnvelocitypilot
2nd Gear

Thanks for the great replies - sounds like favorite so far is Laguna Seca - aren't there any Sebring fans out there? She's got me signed up for the MazdaSpeed class (as opposed to the Formula class)... I think that's OK but I'll take input on that as well. Also, I'm not sure (yet) as to the timing, we've got to work that out. And finally, Yes... she's a keeper.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I've done both the Open Wheel and MX-5 three-day. I prefer the MX-5 over the formula car. It's more like what we race (closed wheel, full cockpit, windshield, upright seating, suspension that has travel). The formula is more pure and rewards the better driver but the MX-5 is a blast to drive.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by chrisp
I've done both the Open Wheel and MX-5 three-day. I prefer the MX-5 over the formula car. It's more like what we race (closed wheel, full cockpit, windshield, upright seating, suspension that has travel). The formula is more pure and rewards the better driver but the MX-5 is a blast to drive.
I agree with chrisp. I think you'll have a blast in the MX-5, and it probably has a more practical application. I heard most of the people in the 3-day formula group are on executive retreats, sales awards, or one-time thrill seeking, and the MX-5 group is club racers looking to improve.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Laguna Seca. Stay in Pacific Grove. One of the most beautiful spots in the world, on the water and minutes from the track.

Later after a track day, go to Carmel and go down the toll road called 17 mile drive which enters Pebble Beach. You will think you just died and went to heaven. Beautiful golf course, with the ocean on one side, waves crashing against the rocks with seals on those rocks. On the other side are golfers putting with raindeer steps from the golfers and both don't care either one are there. An unbelievable setting.

Of course the track is incredible with a lot more elevation changes as compared to Sebring and a challenge.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Originally Posted by mnvelocitypilot
Thanks for the great replies - sounds like favorite so far is Laguna Seca - aren't there any Sebring fans out there?
Thanks again for the input!
I am a huge Sebring fan, my wife already knows that when I die (I do plan on her going first, but just in case) my ashes are to be spread around the track at speed.

But coming from some one that has tought for skippy in the past and knowing the Sebring program, I say do Laguna. Especially if your wife is coming, there is nothing for her to do around Sebring. Not even any good restaurants.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dblapex
Especially if your wife is coming, there is nothing for her to do around Sebring. Not even any good restaurants.
ABSOLUTELY. Make it a great experience for her too and it will pay big dividends.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:04 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Sebring is my home track and my sentimental favorite.....but there is no question I would choose Laguna, especially if the wife comes along! Trust me when I say that your awesome experience will be nothing compared to how much fun she will have in that area with you when you are not driving. There is nothing like that area on the planet!! Can't wait to go back!!

On the other hand, Sebring (and the surrounding areas) totally sucks for women who are not into cars cars cars!! Luckily I have one in my house so Sebring is not so bad for all of us.

Laguna dude!!!!

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca vs. Sebring