Sponsored by:

DE Gloves? Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:17 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DE Gloves? Advice?

I've had about 12 track days this year and I'm torn on the issue of gloves. I drive a 997S TIP and love it - easy on the tip jokes now....

anyway, on hot days, i'll get sweaty and wish i had some gloves. on cooler days i'm fine. i have some Oakley racing gloves but they're cumbersome. some clubs require gloves so i wear them (alfa romeo).

any thoughts here on good gloves i can wear that will fit very nicely and give me good feel? i see that some advertise that they damp vibration, etc but i don't need that....i'm not running more than 30 minutes at a time typically but sometimes i do run longer.

thoughts appreciated,

brendan.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:49 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Sparco Tide
The BEST.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Nice avatar pic in T12 at Portland! PCA DE day? I'll be out there racing the next two weekends.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:28 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

yep, that's PIR. great track but a bit of a hike from Seattle. I was just there for the PCA event last week also...

looks like the sparco tide wins. i'll find some locally so i can get a good fit.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:46 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

if you've got a leather rim, make sure to get gloves that work properly...I've got alcantara steering wheels in my track cars and use suede palmed gloves to match.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought Oakley's after trying a bunch at CDOC on the VIR track. For my hand, just felt nicer. It is a personal thing, so I'd try to find a place where you could try a bunch on first hand.

Red...so that others could see them from the rear. I could see where in a real race one might actually want to "hide" hand movements....but for DE, I think bright gloves are a safety feature. This is not often noted.....just my 2c.

NOTE: Based on a point that came up later, contrasting color to your car is key. Red works for me. Yellow, orange, etc.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 08-05-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 AM
smankow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I bought Oakley's after trying a bunch at CDOC on the VIR track. For my hand, just felt nicer. It is a personal thing, so I'd try to find a place where you could try a bunch on first hand.

Red...so that others could see them from the rear. I could see where in a real race one might actually want to "hide" hand movements....but for DE, I think bright gloves are a safety feature. This is not often noted.....just my 2c.
I'll take a different take on this one. Get a color glove that IS NOT the same color as your car. If the glove blends in with the car, it is much more difficult to see the pass signal.

Steve
Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Peter:

Check these out, its like you are not wearing anything http://www.stand21.fr/gants/cout-ext...t-ext-2-2.html.

+1 on Steve's comment contrast is good, for me Red.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 AM
MTosi
User

I wear bright orange simpson gloves (old school), nothing special NOS $20 off ebay. I love the orange though (despite the constant wise *** comments about them), since when you need to motion with your hands it realy sticks out.

Like these

Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian20
Peter:

Check these out, its like you are not wearing anything http://www.stand21.fr/gants/cout-ext...t-ext-2-2.html.
I really like the Sparcos but I will try the Stand 21's (only because you suggested them ).
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

Originally Posted by PedroNole
The BEST.
tide's are definitely good but not sure about the best (maybe the best sparco gloves)...i loved them when i first got a pair last summer but went through them faster than usual (they were beat all to crap after a few months of use)...i went through 2 pairs of x-pro's before the tide gloves and they were good too...sparco gear (other than their nomex t-shirts) just seems to wear out unusually fast in my experience and the tides wore out fast by sparco standards...

this year i switched over to alpinestars gear and am now using their tech 1-zx gloves and really like them...i still use the tides from time to time (in DE's and testing) as they are easier to slip on/off than the a-stars i have...

the best advice i can give is to try on as many different gloves as possible (just like all safety gear)...typically the more expensive gloves fit/feel better...i prefer external stitching even though it gets haggard looking quicker...
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
The BEST.
+ Juan

Also, Stand 21, I forget the model.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
if you've got a leather rim, make sure to get gloves that work properly...I've got alcantara steering wheels in my track cars and use suede palmed gloves to match.
EXCELLENT point.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:57 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

If you have to give lot of points like I do these are good.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

These are very popular for that in the Midwest:

Quick Reply: DE Gloves? Advice?