Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROW M030 installation help in Balt./Wash.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ROW M030 installation help in Balt./Wash.

Well, my new suspension finally arrived from Sunset. I had considered installing it myself but I don't have a lift(yet) and my garage averages about 85F these days so I'm looking for an indy in the Baltimore/Washington area. The closer to Ellicott City the better.

So far, I have a quote from AtSpeed for ~$1000 plus $200 for align.
Ralph's in Owings Mills is quoting ~$900 plus $160 for the same work.
I also talked to another shop I won't mention who wanted $1500. He insisted the car had to have a corner balancing and an immediate alignment after driving around the parking lot to settle the springs. I told him that I had read a different opinion here. The conversation deteriorated rapidly after he made a disparaging comment about Rennlisters.

In searching the forums here it seems prevailing wisdom is to drive the car for a few days to let the springs settle before the alignment. Additionally, I have seem a number of posts stating that corner balancing is only relevant for an adjustable suspension like a PSS9.

My questions:
Anyone have experience/recommendations with local shops for suspension install work? What was the cost? Any particularly good or bad experiences?

I've received a number of comments from people on the 996 board reinforcing my opinion about the corner balancing. However, their installation prices were, in some cases, significantly lower. I find it hard to believe that it costs 2-3 times as much just because I live in the DC metro area. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:58 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had an '02996 C2 and had the MO30s put in. World of difference all positive. Have the top tech at the dealer do it, then drive it for a week and then align. You should be good after that. I never corner balanced and tracked it a lot.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
Well, my new suspension finally arrived from Sunset. I had considered installing it myself but I don't have a lift(yet) and my garage averages about 85F these days so I'm looking for an indy in the Baltimore/Washington area. The closer to Ellicott City the better.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts
Default As the M030 is not adjustable......

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
I also talked to another shop I won't mention who wanted $1500. He insisted the car had to have a corner balancing and an immediate alignment after driving around the parking lot to settle the springs. __________________
how does one corner balance it? If I recall correctly from the parts and service manual from my 996TT, the only "adjustment" on non-coilover (MacPherson strut) suspensions is a 5 or 10mm spacer that goes under the spring. These are preselected by the supplier who provides fully assembled suspensions to the Porsche assembly line. These spacers are to account for the manufacturing tolerances that result in slightly different assembled lengths for the springs. The springs are marked with different color stripes which indicate which spacer shpould be used.

The shop who told you to corner balance an M030 is at best wrong and possibly incompetent or trying to scam a few extra $$.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
On Pole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Clarksville. You can bring your car over and help me. Pay me what ever you would like.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if your living in DC price is no issue just go to the dealer. Just kidding . I used to work with the folks at GT Performance in northeastern MD but I think there are places more convenient to your location. If not GT Performance is great to work with.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by On Pole
I'm in Clarksville. You can bring your car over and help me. Pay me what ever you would like.
WOW!, A very generous offer. I wish I could take you up on it. I'd love to learn how to do some of these things from someone who knows what they're doing. The truth is that I won't have a free weekend until sometime in Sept. and I'd really like to have the suspension and 60K service done ASAP. I talked to GT performance up in Edgewood and they are much more in line with what Rennlisters have said the price ought to be. ($650 for install and align.) And, they can get it done next week while I'm out of town which is really great. Maybe I'll hit you up when I blow a motor out of warranty?

Thanks again!
Tim

Quick Reply: ROW M030 installation help in Balt./Wash.