Sponsored by:

The Maestro at work...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:43 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
It's all about subtlety, just because someone look's like they are going faster doesn't mean they actually are.
So by this standard, Fangio should look like he's out for a Sunday drive and we should be impressed. It sounds like you posted this video because you are agreeing there is little visual wow. The subtlety is what is great. You're basically saying I should be speechless because he looks slow. Got it.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:54 AM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I think there is a visual wow but thats just personal preference, but what looks like a sunday drive to you (used to hoosiers [or something sticky], perfectly setup cars, balance, etc.) is not. I just have an appreciation for how hard it is to drive those cars, and how well he does. I think to put this into perspective I need to find a video of someone whose not Fangio driving one of these cars.

Do you remember the video I posted of Stewart at Monaco? People said he looked like the slowest guy out there, of course they were uneducated and didn't know what to look for, but I find it spectacular since I'm looking for the subtle things, maybe I'm just wierd.....

Old 08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sure Juan's helmet met SA50 specs just in case...
Old 08-02-2008, 05:09 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha;

Let's start a Flame Charlie Thread elsewhere. It's about the driving clips. I doubt that either was intended to be an all-out drive. It's a show-piece, driving he could do with his eyes closed. I'm surprised he could even see around the camera. And that first clip... I've seen WRC stages smoother than that "track."

Is it mind boggling? No, but if you can't imagine how it must have been, well... you can't then. If you can, then you find it interesting. Having driven some old iron, I can imagine, but I still don't believe they did what they did.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Yes I think there is a visual wow but thats just personal preference, but what looks like a sunday drive to you (used to hoosiers [or something sticky], perfectly setup cars, balance, etc.) is not. I just have an appreciation for how hard it is to drive those cars, and how well he does. I think to put this into perspective I need to find a video of someone whose not Fangio driving one of these cars.
I can look at those videos and know he is not driving race pace. Those laps are "for the camera". Show me video of him pushing and maybe I'll be wowed. Perhaps I have an even greater appreciation for how hard it is to drive those cars than you and therefore it makes sense that I'm not wowed by camera laps. I might suggest that it is sad that for someone so aware of the subtleties is wowed by these videos. Go find me some video of Fangio fighting to recover lost time at the Nordschleife and I suspect we'll all be wowed. These videos, eh, not so much.

In the meantime, please educate me with what subtle things you are being impressed by in these videos.

My hypothesis is that you're letting your emotions over a period and a driver cloud you analysis of these videos, but I'm open to being shown the light. (Btw, I loved the Jackie videos, but please don't confuse this thread by introducing another driver from another time...)
Old 08-02-2008, 07:20 PM
MTosi
User

I'd rather watch Jim Clark do laps for the camera in a Cortina than watch Hammy do race pace laps in the MP4. Unfortunately they didn't have incar camera back then so I'll take what I can get, and enjoy it for what it is.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there's a lot of truth in Jupeman's assertions. These are clearly demonstration runs, not race pace. There are parked cars on the roadway! And you can imagine the size of the movie camera (not video) that had to be mounted....Still cool to watch, but the car clearly understeers in and it's all recreational power oversteer out. What's more impressive to me is how much they had to rely on engine braking to slow the car, I think that showed more techniqe than the sideways stuff, although I do love watching it.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

I'd rather watch Jim Clark do laps for the camera in a Cortina than watch Hammy do race pace laps in the MP4. Unfortunately they didn't have incar camera back then so I'll take what I can get, and enjoy it for what it is.
Good stuff. I'm still not wowed but I do enjoy watching the videos. I particularly like seeing the 550s! I was more excited by those than the F1 cars...
Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Perhaps I have an even greater appreciation for how hard it is to drive those cars than you and therefore it makes sense that I'm not wowed by camera laps. I might suggest that it is sad that for someone so aware of the subtleties is wowed by these videos.
Now Colin...

You know you're not supposed to use Charley's account.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Now Colin...

You know you're not supposed to use Charley's account.
Colin doesn't post anything that clever.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

No curb hopping like today's racing... watch that Fangio video... those curbs would bend a suspension and maybe kill an adventurous driver (if there was any other kind back then...). Kidding aside, those guys were (still are) admirable!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

MTosi, you're really impressed by oversteer aren't you? Damn near every video and picture you post involves it.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:49 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
MTosi, you're really impressed by oversteer aren't you? Damn near every video and picture you post involves it.
That's because it takes mad skill that only he can understand the subtlety of.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
That's because it takes mad skill that only he can understand the subtlety of.
Surely no one on this site could ever learn such a skill.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Surely no one on this site could ever learn such a skill.
Correct.

And stop calling me Surely.

Quick Reply: The Maestro at work...