Sponsored by:

Older cars at DE

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 04:42 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd love to see some of the 6 and 7 GT3 drivers in real 911's.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:01 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Ya, with all due respect, I would like to see some of you guys in your wonderful older cars (no sarcasm...they are seriously wonderful to watch) against someone who can actually drive a 996 gt3...like LvDell...let me tell you guys...the fun is still there..haha
Held him off for 6-7 laps, chased for another half dozen. At the risk of repeating myself...
LCMT

Who do you think was having more fun? (actually we both were...)
Old 07-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Ya, with all due respect, I would like to see some of you guys in your wonderful older cars (no sarcasm...they are seriously wonderful to watch) against someone who can actually drive a 996 gt3...
...just as we would like to see "you guys" drive a 200hp torsion bar 911.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:30 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinhead
I was wondering how those with older cars enjoy sharing a track with newer, faster cars at DE's? Something like a 944 in the same session as a GT3.

I did my first few track events with with an older sports car, and it felt like a rolling chicane constantly giving point byes. With the much higher speeds that modern cars are capable of achieving, the speed differentials on long straights seemed quite unsafe. I ended up buying a Lotus Exige and have tracked that for the past few years, moving to the advanced level with a few local clubs.

Recently, I took my older car out to the track, and found it to be just as enjoyable as the Lotus, albeit at a much slower pace. So, I was thinking converting the older car to a track car, and freeing up some capital by selling the Exige. Any insights?

My first track experience was racing go karts from 84 to 92. Then nothing for 10 years. I got back to the track with a 2003 Carrera, which i promptly traded in for a 2004 GT3. Waaa all that power, agility, and speed... Once I drove my 85 Carrera race car last year and having to prioritize spending, i ditched the GT3 in a heart beat. Hey, i now drive reasonably well-prepped 80 SC and for me nothing beats the feeling I get on the track with it. To me at least, the only real drawback of the older cars is the cost and frequency of repairs, especially when the power train is concerned. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:36 AM
FredC
Drifting

Ya, with all due respect, I would like to see some of you guys in your wonderful older cars (no sarcasm...they are seriously wonderful to watch) against someone who can actually drive a 996 gt3...like LvDell...let me tell you guys...the fun is still there..haha
No question, the sensation of driving those new cars, like the GT3, close to their limit is simply amazing. But it is probably easier to get there with those than it is with the older cars, which makes is not only amazing, but also very gratifying, to drive those older 911s close to their limit.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:45 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJay
Held him off for 6-7 laps, chased for another half dozen. At the risk of repeating myself...
LCMT

Who do you think was having more fun? (actually we both were...)
Great Clip. Good to see LCMT, what a great track. Nice drive.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by constaf
My first track experience was racing go karts from 84 to 92. Then nothing for 10 years. I got back to the track with a 2003 Carrera, which i promptly traded in for a 2004 GT3. Waaa all that power, agility, and speed... Once I drove my 85 Carrera race car last year and having to prioritize spending, i ditched the GT3 in a heart beat. Hey, i now drive reasonably well-prepped 80 SC and for me nothing beats the feeling I get on the track with it. To me at least, the only real drawback of the older cars is the cost and frequency of repairs, especially when the power train is concerned. Good luck!
Ahhhh, so that's why you're fast in a kart

+1,000 about the cost. 30 year old parts break...and then the new ones break and they ain't cheap to replace and there aren't a lot of shops that do repair well. And, they weren't built to be dedicated track cars running super sticky Hoosiers which reeks a little havoc on the system (brakes, suspension parts). Engine rebuild for the cars Fred and I drive are $15,000. Tranny rebuild depending on what you do is around $3,000. It is not uncommon to miss a shift and buy an engine. In my case last year it was just a simple broken valve retainer (original to motor). There are pretty constant repairs so being able to handle some of them yourself helps.

Plan on the costs compared to your Lotus being substantially higher. It can get crazy...a little bit of the luck of the draw.

But the reward is amazing.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:43 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
"Old cars"............you guys crack me up. Your old cars were the spanking new examples of "rich dude with too much money and HP (200!)" not so long ago. Sad we don't have many 90-100HP 356's and 914's anymore going unbelievably quick. But time marches on.
You sound like my mechanic (who only works on air-cooled cars). He calls my 20 year old car "one of the newer ones"
Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 AM
htron435
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zinhead
I was wondering how those with older cars enjoy sharing a track with newer, faster cars at DE's? Something like a 944 in the same session as a GT3.

I did my first few track events with with an older sports car, and it felt like a rolling chicane constantly giving point byes. With the much higher speeds that modern cars are capable of achieving, the speed differentials on long straights seemed quite unsafe. I ended up buying a Lotus Exige and have tracked that for the past few years, moving to the advanced level with a few local clubs.

Recently, I took my older car out to the track, and found it to be just as enjoyable as the Lotus, albeit at a much slower pace. So, I was thinking converting the older car to a track car, and freeing up some capital by selling the Exige. Any insights?

My car has mildly modified suspension (22/28 tbars, bigger swaybars) and is a true street/track compromise, not a racecar. Just went to Toyo RA1's from years of using street tires. And I am not a racer (although some day I'd like to try it). So my perspective is that of a DE driver, not a racer doing DE's. I personally enjoy the feedback that the older cars give vs. the newer cars -- easier to slide/drift through the turns, no ABS, etc. I feel that I've had to learn better car control than a driver that may have started in a newer, more technologically advanced car. I've had no problems with the GT3's, Turbos, racecars in my run groups as far as passing is concerned, and I've been doing this long enough that I can run with some of the newer stuff through the twisties. To me, it's all about watching your mirrors. I'm faster than a lot of guys and slower than a lot of others. As long as you don't get caught up in needing to be the fastest car in your run group, I'd say enjoy your old car for what it is. I prefer to be fast in an old car than the fastest in a new car.

Also, I tend to be relatively easy on my equipment (tires & brakes not included ). I think that the racers probably tend to try to squeeze the last 1/100th out of their cars even at DE's, and that's why they tend to have more mechanical issues/brakedowns. Just my humble opinion. Anyway, I'd say enjoy your old car for what it is. I wouldn't trade mine for a GT3 -- that's not a knock on the new car, it's just that I'm an old car guy & have been since I was a kid.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:03 AM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1957 356
+1,000 about the cost. 30 year old parts break...and then the new ones break and they ain't cheap to replace and there aren't a lot of shops that do repair well. And, they weren't built to be dedicated track cars running super sticky Hoosiers which reeks a little havoc on the system (brakes, suspension parts). Engine rebuild for the cars Fred and I drive are $15,000. Tranny rebuild depending on what you do is around $3,000. It is not uncommon to miss a shift and buy an engine. In my case last year it was just a simple broken valve retainer (original to motor). There are pretty constant repairs so being able to handle some of them yourself helps.

Plan on the costs compared to your Lotus being substantially higher. It can get crazy...a little bit of the luck of the draw.
I always find post about newer cars that people buy lap times with $ not talent, but there are quite a few here with tons of $ tied up in 25 year old cars to go just a bit faster. I know i am biased
Old 07-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
I'd love to see some of the 6 and 7 GT3 drivers in real 911's.
I don't fit. Too tall ... too wide.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NJcroc
I always find post about newer cars that people buy lap times with $ not talent, but there are quite a few here with tons of $ tied up in 25 year old cars to go just a bit faster. I know i am biased
No question about it. Some of us put stupid amounts of money in older cars, but the go faster stuff in a stock class 30 year old race car is really about 7,000 worth of suspension stuff. The rest is marginal return (other than the engine rebuild).
Old 07-19-2008, 11:55 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Who's spending tons of money on old cars?

I'm in that club. A bit here and there. Fixing the things that brake and adding a bit at the end of every season. I took the hot month of July off to rebuild the transmission, fixing the 915 3rd gear cruch, adding a cooler and a few choice WEVO products that the car doesn't already have, and planning on how to harrass my GT3 buddies next month.

Not all of us would jump into the most expensive GTxxxx car we could afford if we had the money. I could have bought a GTxxx with money to spare with what I have spent on my SC. I'm having a ball in my little 3.0L car, working my xssssss off to get competitive lap times. The smile never ends.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

I'd like to see the guys in the fast older cars borrow the 996 GT3 for a couple of laps.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:28 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Ahhhh, so that's why you're fast in a kart

Tranny rebuild depending on what you do is around $3,000. It is not uncommon to miss a shift and buy an engine. =.

my last tranny rebuild was more like $5,500...

Quick Reply: Older cars at DE