Sponsored by:

Hans Device Proper Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hans Device Proper Sizing

I'm getting ready to buy a HANS sports series device with sliding tethers. I do have a question about sizing as I'm between a middle and a large. I have a 17" neck and the medium goes up to 17.5" and the large says from 18"+. Not sure which one I should get (no shop close by where I can test fit quickly). Also wondering if another lister here has a 17" neck and what size they picked.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 AM
DanR
Drifting

I would guess that you would want the medium but the best bet is to try them for size. If you already have anchors, maybe someone could lend you one to try out at your next event? P owners tent to be friendly
Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a 16.5"-17" collared shirt and went with the medium. It's tight. Another point to consider is how your traps are built. If your neck is very triangular then you may want to go up to the Large. If your neck/shoulders are very flat then the medium might be better.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 17" neck and I have medium. If you buy one and it isn't right, I would expect any internet dealer selling will swap if you don't like the fit.

Otherwise, next time you are at the track, ask someone to try theirs on for fit and then decide. Track junkies are, in my experience, generally nice sharing folk.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the 20M (medium) in the Extra series and my neck is 17". But as Tucker said, the best thing is to try one on at the next event. Even better if somebody local has one you could meet up with to try on.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I want to try one before the next event but I have to get it before my Race Aug 8/9 at Hastings. NASA mandated it July 1, 2008 and I really need to get one for safety's sake. I know some locals here that I can ask what size they have - now is just finding time to get over there and check it out.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

I'm a 17 neck, about 215lb (should be 195, heh), hair shy of 6ft tall. My Medium fits fine, its a bit snug going on PAST my neck but once it's on it sits comfortably. I think if I built my chest huge I might need a bigger size but it doesn't feel tight at all now even with the straps CRANKED down to the point that I feel like it's constricting / hard to breath

YMMV but the CDOC guys had me try it on in person (bought mine when they were at the Glen) and said it looked right and they also said that if I tried it in my seats / strapped down properly (only way to know for sure) and it wasn't ok, that they would swap it for the larger size as long as the packaging was intact and I hadn't driven with it / scuffed anything.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:16 PM
hbennett
AutoX

jaje, probably the medium would be a good fit for you. By the way, rather than posting your questions on a forum (not saying there aren't knowledgeable people here) did you think about calling us direct? I've seen too many "experts" on forums give out incorrect or just bad information. Also, we do have a couple of dealers in the KC area. Not trying to berate you. If you have any questions, please drop me an email at hbennett@hansdevice.com. I'll be glad to help.

Howard Bennett
HANS Performance
Old 07-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

another 17" w/ a medium here, tight sliding on but fits good once on
Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't rush safety! Try one on before you get to the track.

BTW, I think the quick disconnects are a complete waste of money. They clip on and off the helmet easy enough.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jaja,
A few things came up with fitment of mine. One is the fact I have big shoulders and no neck. My helmet (skirt) contacted the HANS and pretty well lock it up from rotating left or right. My seating position and seat shape closed up the required gap between the seat and HANS and the HANS and my helmet. Any adjustment in the seat back position to get the clearances made reaching the steering wheel difficult.

Just a few items you need to keep in mind other than the fitment of the device on your body is conflict with the environment it will be used in.
Rick
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Howard - thanks for the info (I usually like to ask on forums b/c you get a wide variety of information - then I usually will call and talk to the experts at the store and ask questions - but I want to be armed with as much info before I buy and get 2nd - 3rd opinions). I shot you an email of local KC shops that have these so I can go try them out. Thanks.

I'll definitely try on the M & L as it looks to be the best fit. I'm 6'3" and ...215 lbs at the moment... But I'm still kinda skinny (vball player build).

I usually don't skimp on safety as my first suit was terrible - Gforce snowmobile thick 3 layers and even on cold days it was too hot. I spent the cash and bought a Sparco Tech Light suit and it is much more comfortable and lightweight.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Update - I got lucky and found a slightly used (only 3 races) 20M Sports series w/ sliding tethers, and a new set of anchors on eBay for $620 shipped. Fits great and is comfortable (although sliding it on is a little tight).
Old 07-30-2008, 05:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a good deal but I make THOROUGHLY make sure that (1) it is in fact genuine; and (2) that is has ZERO structural damage. I am sure if you call HANS they would look it over for free if you ship it to them.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
Sounds like a good deal but I make THOROUGHLY make sure that (1) it is in fact genuine; and (2) that is has ZERO structural damage. I am sure if you call HANS they would look it over for free if you ship it to them.
I'll check on it. It has the FIA, SFI and HANS serial number on it. I went over the pics very closely and didn't see any damage and I received it today and is in almost new condition (except for some slight wear from a couple uses).

Quick Reply: Hans Device Proper Sizing