Ideal weight balance - F1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,269 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootin159
F1's weight bias is not at all comparable, simply because they're limited so much by tire sizes & aerodynamics. I believe that right now they're actually running a bit of a front weight bias as the rear tires are too small and already overworked.

The cars have an obvious front end drop when hoisted by the cranes, but this is probably more due to the rearward location of the crane hooks.
I remember Steve Machett saying something about this a few years ago. He explained that the theory used to be more rear weight bias in F1 cars, but has since been changed and the theory is that more front bias is preferred to keep more weight/grip on the nose of the car, and acheived with moving the ballast up front. Not only does this help with turn in, but saves more of the rear tires from degradation during a race stint. I believe Renault was one of the teams to use it first prior to Alonso's first WDC.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I remember Steve Machett saying something about this a few years ago. He explained that the theory used to be more rear weight bias in F1 cars, but has since been changed and the theory is that more front bias is preferred to keep more weight/grip on the nose of the car, and acheived with moving the ballast up front. Not only does this help with turn in, but saves more of the rear tires from degradation during a race stint. I believe Renault was one of the teams to use it first prior to Alonso's first WDC.
Which is ironic as Renault struggled all last year (and to some part this year) due to their comparatively rear weight & pressure bias compared to their peers.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I'm back. Dam this work is interfering with my passion...

I agree that they probably have moved the bias forward a bit as the handling of the car is better understood year to year. I would also think the the weight bias is set up fo maximixing performance in the slower parts of the track when the aero bits are less effective.

I think I read somewhere that the older 911's had as much as a 40/60 split. Can any of you 911 guys give us your numbers??

Isn't one of the problems Porsche is dealing with in Rolex and other major racing series is rear tire degredation in part due to the weight back there?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I agree that they probably have moved the bias forward a bit as the handling of the car is better understood year to year. I would also think the the weight bias is set up fo maximixing performance in the slower parts of the track when the aero bits are less effective.
Depends on tire width, differentials and a couple of other factors.
I think I read somewhere that the older 911's had as much as a 40/60 split. Can any of you 911 guys give us your numbers??
40-45% front a bit depending on MY
Isn't one of the problems Porsche is dealing with in Rolex and other major racing series is rear tire degredation in part due to the weight back there?
Correct, same in FIA series. It's a combination of track layout, tire width, restrictors, power and weight. (I probably missed something here)
Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche

Eddie , my GT3 is 37.1/62.9 split.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by LVDell
Eddie , my GT3 is 37.1/62.9 split.
I din't realize that that rear wing you put on weighed so much !!

Seriously, does your car have a heavier rear bias than a stock car?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Eddie, it actually started life at 36/64. It's tough to get much better than where mine is right now without ADDING weight to the car and locating it in the front boot.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

F1 cars have ballast via thin heavy plates mounted as low as possible in the chassis,
and they are movable fore and aft to provide different weight distribution for
different tracks. For slow-corner tight courses like Monaco, they shift the weight
somewhat forward for more turn-in mechanical grip.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by LVDell
Eddie, it actually started life at 36/64. It's tough to get much better than where mine is right now without ADDING weight to the car and locating it in the front boot.

Do you still have the stock battery located in the original position?
I've seen some cars with either the original sized battery or a smaller racing battery located in the floor of the trunk. If you're not worried about regulations etc. it seems like a good way to help with the weight balance issue.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Can't put the battery down lower as my Cool Shirt box was just installed this week in the front boot. The battery is in the original location but has been changed out to a lighter battery.

Quick Reply: Ideal weight balance - F1?