Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with ALMS at Lime Rock this afternoon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:29 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What's up with ALMS at Lime Rock this afternoon?

Qualifying was at 3:55PM last I saw but I can't see any information on ALMS' site about the results. IMSA live scoring is showing Formula BMW results...

It looked like Pat Long was 3rd fastest behind two Acuras in the earlier practice. Two RSRs were behind a top Ferrari.

I'd like to know what happened in qual, though.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 171 Posts

I heard in the 1st turn all the cars just sank into the pavement and disappeared...
Old 07-11-2008, 07:43 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

qualifying was called off as the tarmac tore up!!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

You guys are funny, but that's almost what I was thinking. "They just called it off and everyone went home."
Old 07-11-2008, 07:50 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

I just received this email from Lime Rock. Yikes, it seems the Acuras are going to be something to reckon with tomorrow:

1-LMP2 /Brabham/Sharp 46.696
2-LMP2/deFerran/Pagenaud 47.082
3-LMP2 Maasen/Long 47.122
4-LMP2/Dumas/Bernhard 47.240
5-LMP2/Fernandez/Diaz 47.264
Old 07-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I can't WAIT to see this tomorrow! I'm also taping it, it's on Speed on Sunday..
Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the ALMS site:

"Dirk Werner was the fastest GT2 driver for Farnbacher Loles Racing, also based in nearby Danbury. The Porsche 911 GT3 RSR toured the track in 55.805 (96.766 mph) as Porsche held the top three spots in class. Two of Flying Lizard Motorsports three 911s sat second and third with Jörg Bergmeister and Wolf Henzler putting in a time of 56.107 (96.245 mph), good enough for a 0.003-second advantage over the sister car of Patrick Pilet and Johannes van Overbeek."

Can't wait for tomorrow!!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apex Rex
From the ALMS site:

"Dirk Werner was the fastest GT2 driver for Farnbacher Loles Racing, also based in nearby Danbury. The Porsche 911 GT3 RSR toured the track in 55.805 (96.766 mph) as Porsche held the top three spots in class. Two of Flying Lizard Motorsports three 911s sat second and third with Jörg Bergmeister and Wolf Henzler putting in a time of 56.107 (96.245 mph), good enough for a 0.003-second advantage over the sister car of Patrick Pilet and Johannes van Overbeek."

Can't wait for tomorrow!!
You're going to be there? Did you put in a shirt request?

That RSR news is from morning practice, I believe.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
You're going to be there? Did you put in a shirt request?

That RSR news is from morning practice, I believe.
Shirt?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LRP Update

I really didn't watch at the brake zone into Big Bend, but the pavement remains flawless. The upgrade makes for fantastic viewing from the uphill to the downhill. The access spots are as close and open as they used to be at the old shicane along this whole length. I never thought I'd have to give skippy an atta boy, but ATTA BOY SKIPPY!

All of the ALMS sessions were riddled with Red Flags, they extended qualifying to 1/2 hour GT and 25 min for P1+P2, but they were obviously really struggling to get the setups right. GTgot a pretty solid session, & all of the prototype delays were short so they should have gotten good attempts.

I didn't get the results because it was too interesting to catch the action on the hill and West Bend, and I bailed to beat traffic out. From my roughed out times it seemed like Penske was getting it dialed in, but Honda is the ticket to beat in all Prototypes, and the RSRs seem to have the horses covered, but hopefully someone will chime in or ALMS will post soon, because I've been wrong once or twice before.

I hope they can co-exist better in the race, but the new LRP has an awfull lot of spots for trouble. If today's crowd is any kind of indication, better plan on getting there early.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Shirt?
PM sent...
Old 07-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
PM sent...
Thanks Charlie. The killer for me will be to be there watching my wife drive on 7/19 (CVR Novice day) and not be able to drive!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:39 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I just got back from the track.

Dirk did well in qualifying, was 1st them came into the pits. A few cars went faster so Horst F. sent him out again and he got back to P1!

The track is SLIPPERY now, the cars are twitchy, until some rubber gets laid down.

The uphill chicane is SLOW and NARROW, not really a good passing opportunity as it's very easy to make contact there. For West Bend they are taking the new outside section which is also VERY slow and narrow, more contact will occur there. I hope we can run the old track for club racing.

Good luck to Dirk and F-L!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

See you guys at the track tomorrow bright and early, should be a fun day!!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was situated at the uphill by the kink.
Don't know if the concrete curbing was the cause of some/all of the red flags during qualifying.
LR bolted down some concrete 'rumble strips' (the faint green lines perpendicular to the track) but it seems the cars are short-cutting the 1st part of the kink a bit too enthusiastically and looked like they broke the concrete rumble strip. So stopped the cars to unbolt the concrete fearing loose bolts on the track surface.
At least that's what I inferred from hearing the conversations of the other fans around me.
Don't take this as solid proof of any sort.
The new track looks really great. They are running the option corner at the top of the hill and that took a little while for the drivers to figure out. And has been mentioned, the track is green and slickery.

Took a few laps during qualifying but it looked like the P1/P2 guys figured out a quick way around the uphill kink without getting into the dirt. From my uneducated eye.

Never thought I'd be treated to this site on track. Rob Dyson was asked to take this old girl around for a few laps. Too bad they didn't have the engine dialed in.

Gotta go eat lunch now at 8pm. Wanted to eat at the concessions stand but the line was quite ridiculous. And that's with the 'light' friday crowd.
Will need to scrounge for grub tomorrow and bring it with me.

Quick Reply: What's up with ALMS at Lime Rock this afternoon?