Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone done Friday At The Track at Summit Point?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone done Friday At The Track at Summit Point?

I wonder if anyone has been to a FATT event at Summit Point, and if so, what were your impressions? Is it well organized? Reasonably safe? Or a bunch of yahoos???

I've done about a dozen DE days at Summit Point with PCA and my former 944. I'm thinking about taking my Boxster to the track for the first time, and I might go with a friend (he has a new Shelby GT Mustang) to one of the FATT events.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 07-07-2008, 06:31 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Never done one. Always wanted to, but some other events came up and changed my plans. I've heard there are all kinds of cars and all kinds of drivers. My .02 cents.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 PM
JoelG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At one time FATT was kind of rowdy and disorganized. A few years ago the direction of the FATT program got a new director and she did a great job of shaping it up. She's since stepped down as head of it but it still seems to be well run.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been to two of their events. One went very well, the other was terrible. THe one that went well was very well organized, my only complaint was that they would not let me run in the non novice group (I had 30 or so track days but only 1 with them) and had to run with the novices. It wasnt that big of a deal though. The other event I did was horrible. They didnt have enough instructors so they cut out our runs back by 5 min per run which effectively cut a whole session out. My instructor drove my whole first session, so I missed that too. The event started late so we missed a litle more time that way. The good event was more recent as it was a whole new staff, and while I think that they charge too much for the FATT I would still be willing to give it another try if I wanted to play hookie on a friday.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I called, emailed, called some more, emailed my experience, called more, RE-emailed all my info, and got JERKED AROUND by the people in the office there.. never again. Talk about dealing with a bunch of idiots..
Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I instruct for FATT as do a lot of other posters on this site. The biggest change that Elizabeth made, besides providing a very welcome sense of organization was to establish a new paradigm similar to other programs. Ordinarily the students stage and the instructor picks the car and student combination the first session. Now the model is to stick with that student throughout the day if the chemistry is good. The run groups are also more organized and the advancement procedure is well thought out.

Finally the instructor program is excellent. They hold two or three instructor clinics in the winter where you drive school cars; doing a bunch of drills including driving at speed from the right seat with a student who has control of the gas. Driving the car off from the right seat. Driving multiple laps at speed without the use of brakes. There is too much more to mention here. I have encouraged all our instructors to instruct for BSR because of the instructor school. During these schools the exercises are conducted on both the Main circuit and the Shenandoah circuit.

Finally instructor s have two sessions (one 50 minute and one 30 minute) with passing anywhere with a signal.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Sounds great Alan but I would FIRE whoever is answering the phones at the track!!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark,

I also happen to be an instructor for the FATT program which is operated by Bill Scott Racing (BSR) the nice folks that own all of summit point motorsport park. So I would likely strike the "bunch of yahoos" comment.

For Summit it is a good program run by the folks that know the track better than anyone else.

Come one out, play hooky from work and have some fun and learn something

-Paul

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
I wonder if anyone has been to a FATT event at Summit Point, and if so, what were your impressions? Is it well organized? Reasonably safe? Or a bunch of yahoos???
Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry if off topic but had to mention....I remember Bill Scott himself, standing at turn 1 at SP pointing to the apex with his cane while we the students attempted to hit the apex in the school Formula Fords. That was dedicated instruction.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Actually (unlike Mark) I said "bunch of idiots" and I stand by it. I jumped through hoops for them, never complained, and did it OVER AND OVER several weeks (like 8) before the event. I repeat, if they were my employees and I was trying to make money they would be history. Or does BSR operate as a non-profit?? I have never had such an idiotic succession of episodes before with any track, event, or organization.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Actually (unlike Mark) I said "bunch of idiots" and I stand by it. I jumped through hoops for them, never complained, and did it OVER AND OVER several weeks (like 8) before the event. I repeat, if they were my employees and I was trying to make money they would be history. Or does BSR operate as a non-profit?? I have never had such an idiotic succession of episodes before with any track, event, or organization.
I guess we shouldn't take that as a reccomandation for FATTS.........

That is OK, I have high cholesterol anyway........
Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I guess we shouldn't take that as a reccomandation for FATTS.........

That is OK, I have high cholesterol anyway........
It was great fun, about the 6th call after hoop #23 I get.. it's FULL, sorry. If I could have reached through the phone....
Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
It was great fun, about the 6th call after hoop #23 I get.. it's FULL, sorry. If I could have reached through the phone....
They must have sensed you were a northerner...... that is my only guess.......
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I requested to participate and they said I should email her my driving resume... which I did. After two weeks, I called back to see if they received it and no one knew anything. I haven't pursued it since.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I can live with administrative hassles (although I do have my limits). I'm mainly looking for reassurance that the track won't be filled with people who think FATT is a Dukes of Hazzard, smash-em-up derby. Are there rules about passing such as we have at PCA DE events? Are the rules enforced? That sort of thing.

Quick Reply: Anyone done Friday At The Track at Summit Point?