Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Italian food in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mussburger - I'm sorry - I don't think I explained this. You see, I'm from (see finger go to nose) New Yowk -- and in every little neighborhood as I was growing up, each Italian restaurant was better than the next. For large groups, we'd make like we were tourists - and would go to Little Italy - in da Bronx and sometimes in Manhattan.

I even married an Italian, and he can cook. I now live in the South. There is some, eh, okay Italian food - and some simply awful Italian places. Places that think sugar and/or onions is the way to go. Italians who know how to cook - ah, garlic is #1.

I am not into chain food restaurants. I was told here were I was that Carrabbas was fantastic. Coming from the background I come from and having tastebuds that have been spoiled by restaurants that even Michelin would give 4 to 5 stars - a Pizzeria Uno just doesn't cut it. Been there - done that when the kid was little...

This should be a lovely night out. He is my favorite nephew and I have not seen him since 2000. He too, enjoys good food - and he's from first, New Jersey, then California, then Idaho followed by Chicago over to the other side of the pond, lived in Bath and now London with regular trips to Spain. We have a lot of catching up to do and a lot of laughing together.

It's why I'm looking for nice suggestions. Truly good food I can have at home - I'm looking for food like I haven't had in years, followed by good service so we can enjoy our conversation. We have a whole 24-hours to catch up -- and we (or I) shall truly enjoy our time together.

I hope that makes sense now. I feel we've gotten some wonderful suggestions - and yes, one of them will be our dinner place.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE

I even married an Italian, and he can cook.
Now I know why I liked you for some reason.......

When I come down South to DE and cook, I now know who I am going to recruit for help.......
Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Rufus Cook
2nd Gear

You almost can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned restaurants but there is an absolutely lovely restaurant called Itilian Village at 71 W. Monroe in Chicago, Illinois. The phone number is (312) 332-7005. Elegant and nice prices.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Paolo - do you use Pastene Kitchen-Ready tomatoes from Italy?

And I love the idea of good local restaurants. Funny how my nephew use to live in Chicago, and can't think of one. He is so busy going back and forth - he needs this time to relax.

I don't think I can take anymore Italian restaurant suggestions - my mind will turn to mush --- and I'll be so sorry I cannot try them all :-(
Old 07-07-2008, 08:30 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
Paolo - do you use Pastene Kitchen-Ready tomatoes from Italy?
You mean the "San Marzano"?........ I do only when I am out of my home grown ones.......

Enjoy Chicago........ wherever you go!

Quick Reply: OT - Italian food in Chicago