lateral impact protection - legs

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:44 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts
Default lateral impact protection - legs

Anyone else doing this yet? After watching an earth-shaking impact of what was formerly a very pretty M3 SCCA BP racecar into a concrete wall of a turn station yesterday, driver's side first pretty much square on, estimated impact speed (my estimate from watching first-hand and knowing the track) maybe 60mph... among other things, driver's leg was broken, both bones; sounds to me like there was a good chance it was on the cage a-pillar. Well, impacting the leg against a vertical bar at that speed the broken leg outcome is pretty likely.

Seems to me it's time for me to implement the leg basket type protection used in pro racecars - see it in NASCAR cars a lot, if not manditory - aluminum sheet formed in a tube that the legs go in, to keep them from moving far in a lateral hit.

I'm thinking even just on the one side might even be sufficient, since the center tunnel is there on the other side.

Might it even be possible to do this out of window net?

Thoughts?

Side notes that all will want to know - yes, driver was OK - transported away, but no spinal injuries apparently. Also has broken ribs and sternum. Was wearing a HANS, not that it would matter in a lateral hit. Shattered and flattened the concrete block and armco backing it up. Car is FUBARed.

FWIW, I do already have a right-side net in my car. I think my upper body is in pretty decent shape, protection-wise, now this has me thinking again about my legs, having just used them that morning in a 5k race!!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Easy to do.

Often done in Formula and SR cars, and often the way you describe.

I'd build it with the aluminum like you mention and pour a bead/foam portion or use some of the SFI padding.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't it be better in our converted street cars to build padding into the left side of the footwell? Sort of like what NASCAR does between the roll cage and door skin on the COT car.

You could use a sheet of high density foam (you can buy FIA roll bar density padding in sheets) and apply it to the left wall of the footwell area forward of the front cage bar supporting the a-pillar.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I am thinking of:

http://www.rollbarpadding.com/downloads/SFI452.pdf
Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

We had to do that in the World Challenge car a couple of years ago. Aluminum sheet attached to meet the front edge of the seat, extending forward past the front foot of the cage, braced and covered with SFI padding.
2.10.11: LATERAL SUPPORT for DRIVER’S LEGS – As of 11/01/2005, new cars shall have leg
support pieces running longitudinally along each side of the drivers legs between the seat and
foot pedals to provide lateral support, thereby limiting side-to-side movement of the legs, in case
of a side impact accident. The support pieces must be flush with the thigh supports on the seat
and run forward in a straight line as far as possible without interfering with the driver’s operation
of the control pedals. The leg supports must be solidly mounted, especially at the point where the
leg support meets the seat, so that lateral bending of the leg can not occur.
We are also required to have both Nascar door bars and an X. This is a 3R SRT4
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Vauhan,

I just heard about Tony's incident. Great guy and a very accomplised driver. Best wishes for his recovery.

Hope you are able to make the appropriate mods to your can to minimise every having to face the same circumstances.

Rick
Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Excellent ideas, thanks - didn't think of using the seat padding foam, but that could be a very easy and inexpensive way to do it nicely, effectively, safely - as well as making it easy enough to allow doing both sides! I might also fashion something more of a support for my shoulder, now that my door bars are redone and a bit further from my shoulder.

Kurt - thanks for posting the rules, as well as the pic - very useful and informative.

We've had a further update from Tony via Perry, his teammate - he's already joking around about it, asking if it was spectacular, etc!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Kurt - thanks for posting the rules, as well as the pic - very useful and informative.
That's from the SCCA Pro Racing Rulebook - but a good guide to follow for all applications, pro or amateur.

Quick Reply: lateral impact protection - legs