Passing at the Zone 1 48 Hours

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:45 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by race911
Damn. Head kinda hurt reading that. I know why you have to, (.....) I'd much rather go (and know the overtaken knew I was going). Still get a point by, no reason not to. Sometimes it's just more efficient to get it mid-corner, and pass on corner exit. (....) So it's not quite like what you guys are dealing with, half your run group being +/- 2-3 sec/lap?
Indeed;

The "painful" text above is meant for everyone. When things progress into the upper run groups, things change, of course. Given that this event runs under a very more strict interpretation of "where the corner is" than some groups, everything was handled well.

There is no reason at all that an advanced driver should not be able to signal a pass at the apex or slightly after. I myself do so at any point in the turn where I am in control and relaxed, which is usually anywhere. I also have no issue at the Glen with "late" passes. It is not a problem to go in 1-2 cars wide to give room for a friend to get on with his lap. While it is not necessarily kosher, the car I had signaled slipped by near the apex well more than once over the weekend. Turns 1, 2, 5, 7... No big deal.

We actually did have some pretty stunning differences in speed potential. What with myself out there with 147hp juxtaposed with a 600+hp 935, Wet Cups, GT3s, etc., etc. And yet I was nearly double-digits-per-lap faster than a couple of cars, even in Red. Black was slower overall, as might be imagined. When I have to brake for a 997GT3 in turns, there is obviously a great disparity in driving levels. Still, it was all handled very well.

Ken, I personally can't imagine being that much faster than everyone else. It must get aggravating. I'm pretty happy where I am!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:03 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was fortunate to be in white at the event and to actually coerce John to go out with me one session - great job by him and everyone at the event!

Thanks to all!!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 PM
renntech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again John, I wish we had more time so I could have taken some more of you more experienced guys in my right seat. I could have used a few more pointers. We will be back next year Hopefully with a few more of us Canadians EH!

Quick Reply: Passing at the Zone 1 48 Hours