Sponsored by:

Looking for a "Mobil 1" sticker

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
At some point I have to ask, "WTF?", on all these other referrals. Are these other guys also Rennlisters? Just askin...
They haven't had Food Angel's cookies, Charlie. That would soften anyone up.

Seriously, Charlie does great work. I'm having the last few pieces put on my car from (ahem) last Labor Day, as is a friend of mine. We'll post pics in the next few days. The quality is top notch.

I think supporting a fellow RLister is what the site is all about, especially when they do great work. Food Angel, Jupe and 38D helped install my vinyl last Labor Day, during the club race. We all had family there, and things to do. They made it a priority, and did a great job.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:16 AM
joel-cs
Instructor

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Was this inappropriate? I was just helping the guy out with another source...

Do we need to limit referrals to RL'ers only?
no, but....
Charlie and Colin do top shelf work, are easily accessible and know exactly what this crowd is looking for. Solid due diligence is good for some things - no need in this case . (And I also think there was a hint of sarcasm in Jupe's post...)
Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

At some point I have to ask, "WTF?", on all these other referrals. Are these other guys also Rennlisters? Just askin...
dude i will have to say im sorry because i was sitting on the boat with kids looking at rennlist on my Iphone and i posted from iphone and did not see your post... I am one very fond of supporting rennlisters !!! sorry bout that

Matt
Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Matt & mklaskin, as Joel noted I was being a bit sarcastic in my post. Frankly, Eddie has some of my and Colin's graphics on his car and by starting this thread he no doubt was looking for alternative sources, I'm sorry to say.

I'm happy to help when I can, but given that vinyl isn't my livelihood, I'm sure some would prefer to work with a dedicated pro. It is taking weeks for me to get to a Miata design, for example.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joel-cs
no, but....
Charlie and Colin do top shelf work, are easily accessible and know exactly what this crowd is looking for. Solid due diligence is good for some things - no need in this case . (And I also think there was a hint of sarcasm in Jupe's post...)
Jupe sarcastic?????

I wouldn't use anyone else given my expereience multiple times with Colin and him (FA doing the real work!).
Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I worked with two 'pro' shops trying to come up with a design for my reborn #11. Maybe it was the fact that I didn't have a Farbacher-Lowles budget, but the results were generic and not at all evocative of the Porsche aesthetic. I'm a confirmed geek, but I know a good aesthetic when I see one.

Charlie produced a design that was an immediate YES!!!, and he has been terrific to work with. OK, he did offer an irresistible inducement in the form of some Food Angel cookies too.

I'm heading up to his place on Thursday AM to install the vinyl, then up to the Glen after that. You guys going to the Glen with PCA Potomac this weekend will get a first hand look at Charlie's latest work!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Matt & mklaskin, as Joel noted I was being a bit sarcastic in my post. Frankly, Eddie has some of my and Colin's graphics on his car and by starting this thread he no doubt was looking for alternative sources, I'm sorry to say.

I'm happy to help when I can, but given that vinyl isn't my livelihood, I'm sure some would prefer to work with a dedicated pro. It is taking weeks for me to get to a Miata design, for example.
Charlie, Charlie, Charlie....

No need to worry I still love you

I just didn't know if there was some off the shelf $4.99 sticker but since there doesn't appear to be any..

CHARLIE, WOULD YOU PLEASE MAKE ONE FOR ME???

I'm a firm believer in keeping it in the extended family both on the track and in my business.

Maybe we could get a group buy going since there are other people interrested as well.

PM sent.

Last edited by smlporsche; 06-23-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Charlie, Charlie, Charlie....

No need to worry I still love you

I just didn't know if there was some off the shelf $4.99 sticker but since there doesn't appear to be any..

CHARLIE, WOULD YOU PLEASE MAKE ONE FOR ME???

I'm a firm believer in keeping it in the extended family both on the track and in my business.

Maybe we could get a group buy going since there are other people interredsted as well.

PM sent.
Good call on the $4.99 sticker approach. It is tough to spend the time & materials at that price point for a guy like me.

A group buy is a great idea as it does help my efficiency to do these things in batches.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
FWIW, I worked with two 'pro' shops trying to come up with a design for my reborn #11. Maybe it was the fact that I didn't have a Farbacher-Lowles budget, but the results were generic and not at all evocative of the Porsche aesthetic. I'm a confirmed geek, but I know a good aesthetic when I see one.
Budget doesn't seemed to have helped Farnbacher-Loles this year, most of the club cars I race with have better graphics than their Rolex cars. They look like they were designed by a 12 year old The poor graphics didn't stop them from wiining this weekend though..
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 171 Posts

Good call on the $4.99 sticker approach. It is tough to spend the time & materials at that price point for a guy like me.

A group buy is a great idea as it does help my efficiency to do these things in batches.
Any news on your motor Charlie?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:26 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Any news on your motor Charlie?
None yet. The latest word is that Dan J. hopes to look at it this week.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Do you guys get some kind of contingency money for running these stickers on your car or is it just the bling factor?

thanks...they do look good!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Do you guys get some kind of contingency money for running these stickers on your car or is it just the bling factor?

thanks...they do look good!
to my knowledge, there is nothing/very little in contingency money in PCA CR. Other groups have more opportunities, and SCCA had several contingency sponsors years ago when I raced with them. However, back then the money wasn't paid unless you achieved a podium finish. Likely similar now.

I think many run the stickers to look period-correct for racers in the day when their cars were current. I know much of the work that Jupe/38D have done is replication of particular period-correct graphics....damn good and correct work too.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Was this inappropriate? I was just helping the guy out with another source...

Do we need to limit referrals to RL'ers only?
Actually, yes. Charlie is the only one allowed to do any rennlist graphics. Clear?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:26 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
Actually, yes. Charlie is the only one allowed to do any rennlist graphics. Clear?
To be fair, I also looked into becoming a RL sponsor but somehow that conversation was lost in the switch to the new ownership. I'd still do it under the old rate structure.

Quick Reply: Looking for a "Mobil 1" sticker