Barber PCA Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Set my personal best (1:42.026)
Wow, Tim...CONGRATULATIONS! That is really moving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for posting the photos. The weekend was fun! Great track, nice folks, pretty low incident rate too.

I was bummed not being able to give Draper a race, but had a good time anyway.

This race should be on the schedule for anyone who likes to really drive their car (vs. just go fast in a straight line). Not sure if it's a scheduling thing that kept the entry #'s a bit low, or perhaps the stigma associated with the first PCA race event, but this is a good one! The assistant track manager came to the Saturday driver's meeting and was pretty good humor. He said that "yes, we do charge if you damage the armco, and I've heard we charge for damage to grass and shrubs too. I'm here to tell you that if you go through the armco and damage any shrubs, the shrubs are free". The region limits any driver's responsibility to $250, which is pretty darn reasonable too.

The whole facility is beautiful and a short visit to the museum was great.

Great to meet you Tim. Your car is a riot and you drive it really well.

Joe
#07 in photos above and I'M the one facing the right direction!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Joe, nice to meet you and I enjoyed racing with you. After this weekend, I've decided to rename my racing team; I will now be known as UC Racing (ugly car)
Old 06-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a great weekend too. In the saturday sprint I overheated, so I pulled off. We analyzed the issed and resolved it. In the sunday sprint I had an awesome battle with my mechanic in his 2.6 twin turbo, I finally passed him and won 3R turning my best lap of the weekend at at 1:35.2. In the enduro my cool suit decided to crap out on my when I was on grid so after boofing the start and going off/on through the kink loosing a number of positions the double yellow came out, man was I happy. On the restart I got a couple of positions back but it got hot quick so I paced myself and ran consistent 1:38's until the 35 minute mark when the double yellow came out again for a 7 cup was on the outside gaurdrail at T15. The workers all weekend were great doing hot pulls with very few double yellows, but the position of the 7 cup was tricky and it took them about 12 minutes to get it out of there which put me and 5 other cars with 2 minutes left to get to pit lane for the pitstop. I came out 2nd in class for the enduro and brought the car home in one piece! Anyone get any pictures of my car?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 AM
MiniDHinkle
Racer

Tim, you had a nice little battle with my Dad in the first sprint race.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
Tim, you had a nice little battle with my Dad in the first sprint race.
Yes, that was fun, I did everything I could to catch him and pass him. I did get inside of him in T1 but decided that the pass was just too risky so I backed off. I also went agricultural twice (hairpin and corkscrew) trying to get him.

What happened to him on the grid for Sprint 2?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:58 AM
MiniDHinkle
Racer

Yes, that was fun, I did everything I could to catch him and pass him. I did get inside of him in T1 but decided that the pass was just too risky so I backed off. I also went agricultural twice (hairpin and corkscrew) trying to get him.

They were working on his AIM before the race so when they went to start it, the battery died. So they go down to the grid after having it jumped off and when they give the '1 to go' his car dies. They try to push him off etc; nothing works. Since it doesn't start, he decides to tow it up to the trailer. As they're going up, they go the wrong way so my Dad gets their attention and htey do a u-turn. I guess as they were doing the u-turn, the rope got too lose and then tightened up and he went flying into the rear of the tow truck. I'll let my Dad explain later.

I have many pictures of the event and the incident.

Oh, it happened to our 944 too!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
jenk12m
Banned

nice driving tim and im sure you had fun with dhinkle on the track.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
the battery died.
One of my biggest fears while on grid. So much so that I am about to ditch my little 11 lb battery and mount a regular one in the passenger compartment. With my current setup, I don't shut the engine off after arriving on grid.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
nice driving tim and im sure you had fun with dhinkle on the track.
Yes, is was fun. We lapped most of the field twice, making for some interesting passing. I learned more about traffic management in that one sprint race than in the previous 6 races (my career up 'till that point!).
Old 06-23-2008, 04:35 PM
MiniDHinkle
Racer

Yup. He didn't even shut the engine off on the grid. When he went to drive it, it just stopped.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:38 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

Tim:

Good job.I didn't have a chance to meet you. You gave me a real run in the 1st sprint race. I was battling oversteering and we got it somewhat better for the enduro. I heard you plowed through the hairpin, been there more than once!
Stop by and see us at VIR.

David
Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DHinkle
Tim:

Good job.I didn't have a chance to meet you. You gave me a real run in the 1st sprint race. I was battling oversteering and we got it somewhat better for the enduro. I heard you plowed through the hairpin, been there more than once!
Stop by and see us at VIR.

David
I tried to get over to talk with you guys but Saturday was busy with my Rookie school and of course I broke during the Sunday sprint. Enjoyed racing with you, here's my incar video from sprint 1. Lot's of footage of the back of you car The racing starts to heat up at around 16 minutes when we begin lapping traffic.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...34126067&hl=en

I won't be at VIR, I'm going to run NASA at RA since I can win Hoosiers at that event It's also only a 3 hour pull instead of 8.5
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 AM
roach13
Instructor

Is the "crew" going to be able to cool off in your new motor home while waiting for you too call in on the new radios, if we're back from the store in the new truck?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by roach13
Is the "crew" going to be able to cool off in your new motor home while waiting for you too call in on the new radios, if we're back from the store in the new truck?
Only if I have a lucky Lottery ticket

Quick Reply: Barber PCA Thread