Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackie Stewart comparing race cars and women......

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:53 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackie Stewart comparing race cars and women......

Transcript of what Stewarts saying:

Well I think a racing car is something very special, almost in the breed of an animal. Not only is it like an animal it’s also like a woman. It’s very sensitive, it’s very nervous, it’s very highly strung. Sometimes it responds very nicely, sometimes it responds very viciously, sometimes to get the best out of it you have to coax it and almost caress it, to get it to do the thing you want it to do and even after you done all these things and the car is doing exactly as you want it to. It will immediately and with no warning will change its mind and do something very suddenly and very abruptly.
Also watch the car control only onboard footage of stewart shot during his career !!!! (there is other onboard but after his retirement and of demo runs)

edit: I stand corrected, here is a lap of monaco (71') in the rain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJWOv-l7v94

edit 2: and some very relevent and insightful driving tips from the legend himself (initially in post #5)

Last edited by MTosi; 06-17-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:59 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boy does he like one-handed counter steering and uncoiling out of right hand turns!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by chrisp
boy does he like one-handed counter steering and uncoiling out of right hand turns!
The difference between him and us mere mortals is he can get away with it! I thing the reason he does is he knows the car is going to oversteer off the corner and he can get his left hand out of there allowing his right hand more travel for correction. If you watch the drivers at the hairpin at monaco (vintage, but I think they still do it some now???) they do the same thing. Right hand all the way over, with the left hand waiting to pick up the left spoke as it comes back by out of the corner.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Wow, I wish I had even 10% of his talent.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Wow, I wish I had even 10% of his talent.
Can't help you on that but here are some driving tips about driving monaco from him, but they don't just apply to monaco, alot of people here could listen to this and learn quite a bit. I think I might post it as a new thread later on

Old 06-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

HOLY ****! By pure 100% coincidence, I have been telling my advanced students and my advanced classrooms the exact same things!!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
MTosi
User

HOLY ****! By pure 100% coincidence, I have been telling my advanced students and my advanced classrooms the exact same things!!
It never ceases to amaze me how "experienced" drivers forget or have never learned that you don't need to be right at red line around a corner. It's not the fastest way around. It may seem that way but its, not. Same way with accelerating through the apex not at it, people get so hung up on driving in deep to gain a tenth or two, then lose 2 seconds down the next straight. It's the exit of a corner thats the most important part. Smooth looks slow and slow is fast.

Stewart was correct on Fangio, here's Fangio on using a lower gear during his drive at nurburgring 1957:

Very often I realized that if you really were in a hurry you could sometimes take some curves a gear higher than usual. Risky, but effective. You didn't get that comforting sensation of grip, but you went in much faster and came out like a gunblast if you chose the line properly.

There was no way I was going to give up, so I started to try the next-higher-gear stunt all over the circuit. Wherever I was going through and just lifting off in 5th, now I went through flat-out. One of those places was a left-hand bend where you had a hump as you barreled out, shot under a bridge and got onto the next traightaway.

There is Armco there now, and soft shoulders, and they leveled out the hump when they rebuilt the circuit. But in those days we used to lift off a bit; for one thing, to set the car up better; for another, not to fly off into space.

Well, the first time I dared to go through flat-out, the car zoomed into the air, flew for about an hour, and landed at the very edge of the track, near the wire fencing they had then. Only God knows how the right reflex functioned to twitch the wheel, but there I was, back in business. So, that was it. From then on I took that bend flat-out. On that place alone I knew I was saving seconds that I had to have.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
Can't help you on that but here are some driving tips about driving monaco from him, but they don't just apply to monaco, alot of people here could listen to this and learn quite a bit. I think I might post it as a new thread later on

That is very sage advice. I am consciously trying to do just that.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool clip, but I'm wondering- do y'all hang out in your underwear with the fellas talking lines?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Its Roman Polanski he's talking to. After a glass of champagne and qualude, a few minutes later they'll be in the hot tub together taking photos.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool clips. I had seen the first, but not the following two. Thanks Mtosi! (And for your avatar too! We need full res!)
Old 06-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Barfly
Racer

Very nice video. Similar to Senna's inspirational Monaco video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgktruZUDgs Sorry, no ***** (male or female) in this video or post.

_____
Jason
Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That should be one of those videos that after a slow day at the track you go back and watch because as soon as you'll do you find more time. After long test days I've noticed that by the end of the day I'm over driving the car everywhere. I've found that if I back off and start slow and work up that I can smooth myself back out. Scrubbing in tires helps with this as you've got to work them up to temp slowly before a few hot laps.

Definitely helped out last weekend. I drove the morning session like my pants were on fire, tire squeal on the brakes, launching out of corners, felt ungodly fast, and was nearly 5/10 off my personal best. Came back after lunch and worked the pace up. By the end of the session I was a few hundredths off, but no tire squeal, limited wheel spin, and was amazed that I was running that quick.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:58 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HOLY ****! By pure 100% coincidence, I've been told the exact same things by advanced instructors in my car!!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:07 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by MPD47
Very cool clips. I had seen the first, but not the following two. Thanks Mtosi! (And for your avatar too! We need full res!)
Last time I tried to post the high res versions my thread got deleted , so I'll shoot you a PM, anyone else wants them just ask I'll PM them

Originally Posted by 2BWise
That should be one of those videos that after a slow day at the track you go back and watch because as soon as you'll do you find more time. After long test days I've noticed that by the end of the day I'm over driving the car everywhere. I've found that if I back off and start slow and work up that I can smooth myself back out. Scrubbing in tires helps with this as you've got to work them up to temp slowly before a few hot laps.

Definitely helped out last weekend. I drove the morning session like my pants were on fire, tire squeal on the brakes, launching out of corners, felt ungodly fast, and was nearly 5/10 off my personal best. Came back after lunch and worked the pace up. By the end of the session I was a few hundredths off, but no tire squeal, limited wheel spin, and was amazed that I was running that quick.
You can watch the third one quite a few times and pick up something new each time.

Quick Reply: Jackie Stewart comparing race cars and women......