Sponsored by:

Nelson Ledges Video - Critique please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nelson Ledges Video - Critique please!

I'm relatively new to DE's, done some open lapping, a few years of AutoX regularly (which I stopped attending a few years ago), and some drifting up in Canada. That being said, I think this was my 4th (?) DE. I was confident behind the wheel, had been to Nelson before, was solo'd after my first session, driving a decent line, but I'm always open for suggestions on ways to improve. I know the camera angle is not the best and I KNOW I was going to wide in carousel but any other insight would be great. The car is an '89 325i with a 3.93LSD, m50NV engine, Pilot sport cups, and stock suspension/seats (PITA!).

http://www.vimeo.com/1175204
Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I would move your seat closer to the wheel.... Maybe it's the size/angle of the wheel itself but it looks like you're driving a bus.

The first lap was a good lap (except for your comments about carousel). The only thing I would do differently is the set up for the last turn before the front straight (forget the turn #). I would stay left a bit more, scrub some speed and focus on later apex. Your exit speed will be faster (key to the long straight ahead).
Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 PM
///M2.8
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike,
Not that I am even remotely qualified to give advice but take it for what it's worth.

I think your lines are really good and clean. I noticed in the later clip after you pointed the black Carrera S that you held a good line through 1,2&3 but followed him high into Oak Tree. I also noticed that in an earlier session that you actually clipped the inside of turn 3 and it caused your wheel to jerk. Been there, done that..on both counts

I have heard there are about 8 or 9 different lines through Oak Tree. I normally enter with my right side tires about mid track and take to the bottom and hold the line tight. Then at the exit, track out till my right tires are about mid track. This sets me up for a little straight where I can be in the gas and back on the brakes before the carousel.

Ohhhhhhhh shhh......the Carousel! I hate the turn.

You have a great line through The Kink and like me have a dendency to be far right after the hump. You can be a bit more left coming into 12 and hug it tight as it opens way up coming in to 13.

Some time ago I was told that 13 was a throw-away. I agree but also disagree as noted by PedrNole. It sets you up for the straight. Coming out of 12 I normally stay tight right and turn in hard about mid track. As the turn opens up I also open up the wheel and track out right to till end of the turn.

Hope this helps.
J
Old 06-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, I haven't been to Nelson in about four years, glad to see nothing has changed there exept for more patchwork. Good lines, my only comment is that I like to take the carousel on an inside line all the way around, but I know there are a few lines through there. It is just so long that this is the shortest arc, plus there is camber there and I remember it being smoother on the inside too, so you get more grip. That said, the condition of the track my not be the same as it was.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've heard my $.02 re: Carousel and we agree-to-disagree on 12-13. Turn later into 2 (right AFTER the pavement change) - you're tracking out so far because you're turning too early there.

All-in-all it was AMAZING watch you push that bus, er, e30 around so quickly on stock springs/shocks.

BTW Noel - its supposedly "more bumpy than last time" according to guys who'd been there last year. Hard to imagine...

Quick Reply: Nelson Ledges Video - Critique please!