ANOTHER flipping LMP car....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER flipping LMP car....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxm9PjVmgW4

I'd say something needs to be done before someone gets hurt, I think thats number 4 this year, the cars slide then just flip

Correction according to the commentators its #6 on the season

Last edited by MTosi; 06-13-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Doh, I like the high downforce cars. I hope they stay.

(Nasty video, though.)
Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

I'm with Jupe.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:46 PM
MTosi
User

I hope they go away and never come back takes the driver further out of the equation, they should delete the two chicanes and all of a sudden the ridiculous amounts of downforce would disappear. I think sportscar racing needs to wake up and create an identity for itself, and not just be F1 cars with fenders.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxm9PjVmgW4

I'd say something needs to be done before someone gets hurt, I think thats number 4 this year, the cars slide then just flip
Larger rudders?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Bull
Larger rudders?
Nascar style flip up flaps

I do seriously think they need to do something because with the severity of these shunts its only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. To me its amazing the guy walked from that Peugeot shunt, cars aren't designed for roof first impacts.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Congo
Burning Brakes

I think sportscar racing needs to wake up and create an identity for itself
and be what?

near-spec racecars without headlights?

Why not use aerodynamics?

Why not use alternative fuels?

Why not create a seperate class for tube-frame jokes?

Last edited by Congo; 06-13-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 AM
MiniDHinkle
Racer

Originally Posted by Congo

Old 06-13-2008, 10:26 AM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Congo
and be what?

near-spec racecars without headlights?

Why not use aerodynamics?

Why not use alternative fuels?

Racing used to exist before extreme levels of downforce, and driver used to actually have some influence on the car....... Since when do extreme level's of downforce relate to anything but racing? It's a colossal waste of money and time.

Sorry I'm not a communist and don't buy the global warming propaganda, out of oil in 15 years, end of the world theories. I prefer to watch cars on good ol' 110 octane leaded racing fuel, not a series where the rules are blatantly biased towards diesels and french manufacturers

Tube frame jokes, were not talking about Grand AM here so keep your incesent know it all bashing of Grand AM somewhere else....

What you call "character", I call wanna be F1 cars with fenders and diesels that also like to take flight....

Still don't see the F1 resemblance? wondering what I'm talking about?

This is what I call "character", real race cars. Cars that didn't just flip over and take flight, cars that weren't covered in ugly looking winglets, when Porsche was allowed to win overall in something other than a diesel. Sportscar racing wasn't raped in the ratings/fans category by F1. Guys in F1 used to run WSC at the same time as equal series, sportscar racing had lots of manufactures, wasn't just a place for washed up openwheelers who didn't cut it in F1, wasn't run by a bunch of idiotic french guys with huge ego's.... GT or not notice the amount of "tube frame jokes".....You need to get over you infatuation/high horse with the ACO and ALMS and realize that sports car racing isn't even close to what it used to be, when was the last time 300,000 people at a sportscar racing in America, more people used to go to the 6 hour WSC and Can AM race at the Watkins Glen (more people than went to the F1 races at the time) than watch ALMS on TV now....

just because I know you have so much fondness for tube frames......

Old 06-13-2008, 10:34 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Mtosi, you're not making sense and you're mixing your arguments which discredits any point you're trying to get across even more.

So what if the Spyders are using F1 technology? F1 is pretty cool! Besides, to show pictures of cars with wings and full ground effects as examples to support your "get rid of downforce" argument is laughable! I actually think that the TDIs being able to run - what was it the St. Petersburg course? - faster than the IndyCars was friggin' awesome.

As for throwing diesel bashing into this, why do you care? Why does anyone care? Why like 110? Why not 87? It makes no sense. The only knock on the TDIs is that they are too quiet.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

^+1 and your not old enough to remember the good old days!

Why only go back to the 60-80s? Why don't we go back to the turn of the century, when you had to have a mechanic ride along and limp the car around some old horse carriage roads. That was when racing was racing!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody likes a car that goes airborne when it turns sideways. Lets stick with the good 'ol days!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Mtosi, you're not making sense and you're mixing your arguments which discredits any point you're trying to get across even more.

So what if the Spyders are using F1 technology? F1 is pretty cool! Besides, to show pictures of cars with wings and full ground effects as examples to support your "get rid of downforce" argument is laughable! I actually think that the TDIs being able to run, what was it the St. Petersburg course, faster than the IndyCars was friggin' awesome.

As for throwing diesel bashing into this, why do you care? Why does anyone care? Why like 110? Why not 87? It makes no sense. The only knock on the TDIs is that they are too quiet.
My point is you can have technology without running diesels and crazy amounts of downforce..... I'm not suggesting to get rid of it, just not having cars running more than 3000lbs of it at certain speeds.......the group C and GTP cars ran tunnels but they still weren't running as much as they are today, plus with tunnels it created a much smoother sillhouette, with out all sorts of goofy winglets, also just because a car has wings doesn't mean it generated insane amounts of downforce...

I have to ask have you ever listened to a 917 at full song, ever smelled the burnt race gas as it went by in the paddock. I doubt it because if you have you wouldn't need to ask me "why I care" about what fuel they run.....either that or you have no soul or passion

also just because I'm not "old enough" to remember doesn't mean I can't appreciate them... It's even more reason I'd like to be able to watch a non diesel winged wonder...
Old 06-13-2008, 10:51 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

I have to ask have you ever listened to a 917 at full song, ever smelled the burnt race gas as it went by in the paddock. I doubt it because if you have you wouldn't need to ask me "why I care" about what fuel they run.....
Which kind? 917/30, 917K? I've heard and smelled them both. If you like smells, go hang around a karting course where folks run castor oils.

It sounds like you're hung up on childhood memories. Just think, my son might be like you some day, posting on boards asking why cars don't go back to running only 3000 lbs of downforce.

If you want to get the driver back into it, let the cars evolve but disconnect the data acquisition. I have to believe that to get to the limit on some of these cars the drivers need to be told by the engineers that "the data says you can go flat out in T2 so do it".

But I don't care about that, either. I think let 'em go as fast as they can. I sometimes yearn for the days of Can Am and practically no rules!!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:07 AM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Which kind? 917/30, 917K? I've heard and smelled them both. If you like smells, go hang around a karting course where folks run castor oils.

It sounds like you're hung up on childhood memories. Just think, my son might be like you some day, posting on boards asking why cars don't go back to running only 3000 lbs of downforce.

If you want to get the driver back into it, let the cars evolve but disconnect the data acquisition. I have to believe that to get to the limit on some of these cars the drivers need to be told by the engineers that "the data says you can go flat out in T2 so do it".

But I don't care about that, either. I think let 'em go as fast as they can. I sometimes yearn for the days of Can Am and practically no rules!!
I hope you can appreciate the difference in smell between a 917 flat 12 and a 2 cycle go kart....

I'm not nostalgic because I wasn't around back then...... I just don't like where we are at now.....

I don't care about things like data acquistion, I hate the misconception that just because I don't like wings and alternative fuels I must be "anti technology". The flaw with your support of diesels is that if you also want them "to go as fast as they can" you wouldn't want rules that were biased towards them because if the rules were balanced the manufs. would all choose petrol since it is still the best.

I also would love a new Can AM, just with two criteria, 4 wheels, and some restriction on downforce....

and I always go back to if its so great now, why is it so unpopular compared to F1..... and no where near as popular as it used to be

Quick Reply: ANOTHER flipping LMP car....