Sponsored by:

Money Shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:11 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
I've since trained myself to always upshift with my thumb pointing to the floor. I.e when I go for the shifter on an upshift my palm is facing the passenger side of the car, not the typical palm toward the drivers door with the thumb at the top of the shift ****. Its a little awkward and uncomfortable at first but its nearly impossible to accidentally pull towards you and wind up in 2nd instead of 4th, 3rd instead of 5th.
INTERESTING?! I may try that.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I am surprised at 0:25 in the video you didn't immediately pull off to the right and park the car, especially given the possibility of putting oil down on the track.

+100
By not shutting off your motor immediately you took a chance (and probably did) of making more damage to it. Becides slowing down 10a, 10b and parking in dangerous spot.
Sorry about your damage. Been there, know how it feels...
Old 06-14-2008, 08:23 AM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lipamax

+100
By not shutting off your motor immediately you took a chance (and probably did) of making more damage to it. Becides slowing down 10a, 10b and parking ...
Just for fun I'll try again. I knew I wasn't spewing oil or on fire within two seconds. The point of the video and post is to serve as an example of what not to do.

RJay, I like your strategy. I'll be trying that
Old 06-14-2008, 08:57 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
Just for fun I'll try again. I knew I wasn't spewing oil or on fire within two seconds. The point of the video and post is to serve as an example of what not to do.

RJay, I like your strategy. I'll be trying that
So far, with a 915, its working for me. Dont feel quite so bad about the shutdown part. Those who've yet to experience such a disaster dont really understand what going on. A mis-shift is thankfully not an ordinary every day occurrence. Neither is the sound made by broken rocker shafts clattering around. By definition, you're confused and not really sure about whats what. When a mistake like this happens you're really still completely focused on driving, so it takes a some time to figure out exactly what is interfering with your ability to do so. My brain worked something like...okay got get around him, quick shift, gas, gas... uh whats that sound... who cares get him, get him, why aint I accelerating...wait a minute, that doesnt sound good...no that sounds really, really bad, hmmm what should I do... err... I guess pull over...maybe I should shut the engine off... All that processing takes some time.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:29 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

RJay I like that strategy as well. I will practice that one.
I ran for the first time with a harness and had two occurences of going from 2nd to first, instead of third, on pit out, right hander uphill. RPMs not high enough for trouble, but it got me aware of money shift potential. Adjusting to the restrictions of the harness, from street driving is my first thought. It has never been an issue on the street. Your rationale seems to be a good explanation as well.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 PM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Angry Trio

I got to be the leader in this catagory....I got the money shift three times in the last 24 months.....Dan J. at Hairy Dog Garrrrge just keeps a spare motor around for me now (no not really but this is out of control).

1. First one was in WGI 2006 Clash coming out of 11 in the enduro, I have two E racers on my tail and I'm F....ckin around with my drink tube (hadn't drilled a hole in my helmet yet so I had it velcroed to my shoulder strap) by the time I got it in my mouth I hit the rev limiter in 3rd and did a quick grab the shifter and hit 4th.....nope, hit second, huge explosion right in front of Dan and the crew, no oil down just all valves and rockers bent and busted all to hell. My daughter was in the pits watching and she said fire came out the two tail pipes about two feet....niccccce look but very costly. Then I wasn't smart enough to pull off at the end of the pits at pit out and got stuck coasting up the esses so they had to throw a full coarse yellow, sorry guys, my first time I ever did it so I was a little confused.

2. Second one was really dumb. 2007 Mosport enduro, about 35 minutes in and we are lapping cars. Running first in class and second overall to Karl Pohl. Just settling in starting to lap cars and passed a lapper going into 1 .... I do an early 3rd to 4th shift there sometimes and hit second. Probably had something to do with the g-forces turning right and thought I was pulling the shifter straight down but instead pulled it over into second. This one wasn't nearly as bad because it was an early shift at about 5000rpm....still f...cked it up and drove it on around to the pits and parked it.

3. Third one is the dumbest of them all. Doing Niagara DE on Monday before the WGI 2008 Clash, second run out and just leaving the pits and running it up through the gears in the esses and for some reason (never has this happened) it wouldn't shift into forth....so like a dumbass I find a slot that it does fit into and it's second gear....boom. Done for the week, can't do the race, really f....ckin bummed.

Totally trying to figure out why I am doing such dumbass moves in the car and have come to the conclusion that I am so focused on what is going on outside of the car that I don't conciously think what I need to be doing with the shifter....kind of just letting habit take care of that and I have to change that. Three motor rebuilds in less then 24 months...totally blows and Dan is getting tired of it too.

See you guys at Gingerman and Mosport in a few weeks if I can just keep the f....ckin shifter were it needs to go when it needs to be there.

By the way RJay I am definitely going to do what you said and make sure all my third gear shifts to fourh are going to be with the thumb pointed straght down and palm to the passenger seat.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jester911
The analogy I heard once on the 915 that best describes it is "stick in a bucket".
You guys have obviously never driven a a Porsche with a 901 box (especially a 914). Those make 915s feel awesome.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:49 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You guys have obviously never driven a a Porsche with a 901 box (especially a 914). Those make 915s feel awesome.
Seriously! How about a tail-shifting 901 914?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:55 PM
jester911
Drifting

Nobody said there weren't other shifters out there more challenging to drive but let me just state the obvious that Larry and Charlie are driving something a little more modern.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody said there weren't other shifters out there more challenging to drive but let me just state the obvious that Larry and Charlie are driving something a little more modern.
Once burned, twice learned.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:06 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't ride a bicycle with training wheels, either.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:08 PM
jester911
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I don't ride a bicycle with training wheels, either.
Great going Charlie.

Glad to hear you finally conquered that tricky 2 wheeler.

Last edited by jester911; 06-14-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:39 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow 230, I feel a little better. Sorry to hear about all of that.

RJay, you exactly summed it up. Hurrying to try and get the two other cars before the next turn and WTF!!! Do I have oil pressure? Am I on fire? Still running, can I get back to the pits? Doh! Don't do that!

Maybe someone else can tell me that I shouldn't have coasted all the way to 10a
Old 06-14-2008, 03:58 PM
MTosi
User

Clearly no one here has driven one of these with a standard-

Thats what I learned on (not that particular one but an 85 ram with the smaller V8) , and still plow with. Only has synchro's for reverse, so Double Clutching is a necessity... It's funny every time I drive it and go to shift up to fourth and I'm fishing around trying to find it, I always say to my self "to think someone out there is complaining about a 915"....
Old 06-14-2008, 05:18 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually I have and honestly I preferred the 901. Both are truly vague, though better than the 60s bug I had as a kid, but at least the 901 is in a race pattern that makes it a little harder to seriously screw up. In fact if I had the $$$ required to make it strong enough, I'd build up a race 901 for my car as I much prefer the shift pattern.

The thing I've noticed anecdotally is that not all of these gearboxes are created equal and I've no clue as to why. I've driven 915s that shift great and others that shift like crap. Same for 901s. And its not just couplers or even the adjustments. I dunno if mounts make a difference or whats inside the case, but whatever it is, it seems there is a wide range as to how good or bad these boxes can be. I recently pulled my 915 for a second rebuild and installed another one in the interim for this season. The new one shifts fantastic despite having suffered 100K+ street miles without a refresh. The old one was a piece of poop even right after its first rebuild. I'm wondering if I shouldnt stop right where I am, move over my LSD from the old box and refresh the one thats in there now this winter.

Quick Reply: Money Shift