Sponsored by:

3.4L X51 Availability

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:41 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by juddtaylor
Other than that, they vibrate like crazy at 3000-4500 rpm...
Must be all them extra ponies rumbling in your engine bay.

Did you ask John or Hans about it? Maybe they have some insight. Also, I think it just needs to be broken in on the track. That will settle the mounts into their final resting position

-td
Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Weird...did you get the black pillows? Didn't tighten them down too much or anything right? Mine's absolutely peaceful at idle now...vibrations at 3000+ are acceptable to me. Def. more present than stock but really not annoying by any means.

Everyone's different though with tollerances to NVH.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the differences were from your custom DME, either.

Idle is the same as the blown stock mounts for me, and anything over 3k is not tolerable for my wife to still ride in the car (I'm not a big fan, either).

I'm worried that the old mounts crapped out from heat, however. I'm trying to figure out some method of insulating the stock mounts (especially the exposed rubber that holds the oil in underneath the can).

-Judd
Old 08-08-2008, 02:47 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so the engine is now broken in. I can finally write a report up.

The WEVO mounts were no good for me (and my wife passenger), so I put new stock mounts back on. They are perfect. No vibrations except when the engine is very warm at idle, and even then, it's much less than the WEVO mounts.

I'm still having a problem with the engine. When it's warm, it doesn't want to restart. It cranks and fires, but without adding throttle the RPMs drop too low and the engine stalls.

I brought it back to the dealer to check it out, and they thought maybe it was related to the non-functioning rear decklid fan (not removing the hot air, and causing vapor lock). They replaced it, but the problem persisted.

Finally, they contacted Porsche about the problem, becasue everything else was fine on the car. Porsche replied that the DME map for that engine is tuned for European fuel, not the crap we have here in the US. In TX, we have a min 10% ethanol in our gas, which sucks.
Porsche apparently said that if the only problems I'm seeing are a rough idle and minor warm start issue, then I'm pretty lucky. That's not real comforting for the future.

A custom map ($3k) would fix all of this, but I'm not doing that for at least a couple more years. Now I guess I'll have to start researching the differences in the US and EU gasses, and see if there is some additive I can drop in the tank to correct any issues (please post info on this if you have it).

For the engine performance, I think it will rock at the track. Over 5k rpm, it's a freakin' banshee, and pulls like nothing else I've been in. Below that, it has less torque than the stock 3.4, so it actually feels slower in my daily drive situations.

The sound is awesome. The intake is throaty and clear, and the exhaust is more pronounced as well.

-Judd
Old 09-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

>> Over 5k rpm, it's a freakin' banshee, and pulls like nothing else I've been in. The sound is awesome. The intake is throaty and clear, and the exhaust is more pronounced as well.

Would you have any videos you can share?
I've been thining about similar changes to my old 3.4L when it finally gives up the ghost.... If that ever happens.

Quick Reply: 3.4L X51 Availability