Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Danica Patrick to Test for Honda F1

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008 | 03:42 PM
cr207
Rennlist Member

what are the g's that IRL cars have compared to F1?
Old 06-11-2008 | 04:07 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

1. Some of the best drivers in teh world are in F1. Are they the best. Who knows. They are the best at driving at F1 car around a course that's all I can say. They aren't the best at running a NASCAR around a course.

2. Montoya spent months prepping his neck to withstand a full race in F1.
Old 06-11-2008 | 04:19 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

As far as interest, I would rather see her in a rally car...as I feel some of THE best drivers have been rally car drivers...
Old 06-11-2008 | 04:43 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by sechsgang
As far as interest, I would rather see her in a rally car...as I feel some of THE best drivers have been rally car drivers...
+1 on rally guys being some of the best drivers.

I think she's a great driver. She isn't the greatest racer though, as is evident from her good qualifying but steady moves backwards at the beginning of races.

As many people have said and even more have forgotten, driving and racing are two different things.
Old 06-11-2008 | 04:47 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

forget rally. there's no glamour.

would you rather see her all muddy or struttin' through the monte carlo paddock in a tanktop...

....oh, wait....
Old 06-11-2008 | 06:58 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
+1 on rally guys being some of the best drivers.

I think she's a great driver. She isn't the greatest racer though, as is evident from her good qualifying but steady moves backwards at the beginning of races.

As many people have said and even more have forgotten, driving and racing are two different things.
You've just described Jarno Trulli.
Old 06-11-2008 | 07:09 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

2. Montoya spent months prepping his neck to withstand a full race in F1.
IIRC, while he was in Cart, he spent 2 1/2 months training specifically on his neck for his 1st F1 test. He got through only a handful of laps 4 or 5 IIRC before he could not hold up his neck anylonger. Kimi completed only 2 laps during his 1st test.

This was my point that it's not good enough to be a great driver, you have to be extremely fit and strong and not have the g forces, heat or any other issues effect you, let alone the other driver behind you or to the side.
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:07 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Do you really think the 20 best drivers are in F1?

I'll grant you that maybe the top 10 are the best in the world but that bottom 10 are all about marketing and $$$
They might not be the 20 best F1 drivers , but i can guarantee you they are top tier . I have never attended an F1 event and felt the driver dead last on the grid was a dud , always left amaze at the driving talent necessary to extract 100.01% from such visceral machines.

Most if not all F1 drivers have had many years developing their craft , experiences winning races and for some championships. Most started from karting from an early age through many different disciplines of open wheel classes to get to F1 and by the time they do make it to F1 , they are more than just drivers, it is their life, it is all they know, it is not for show , marketing or the $$$, those are just the offerings necessary to play the game ........
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
They might not be the 20 best F1 drivers , but i can guarantee you they are top tier . I have never attended an F1 event and felt the driver dead last on the grid was a dud , always left amaze at the driving talent necessary to extract 100.01% from such visceral machines..
IIRC, there were some superlicenses granted to some less than 'top tier' drivers.....a driver from Israel a few years ago who paid for a seat was an example.....I could name others.

But, these exceptions aside, I would tend to agree with you.
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:40 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
IIRC, there were some superlicenses granted to some less than 'top tier' drivers.....a driver from Israel a few years ago who paid for a seat was an example.....I could name others.

But, these exceptions aside, I would tend to agree with you.
Are you talking about Chanoch Nissany ?

He was never a starter and does not fit the mold ( kid/karts ) definetly an anomaly and not top tier. Do you think Miss Patrick could do any better.....

Chanoch Nissany

Career

Nissany is said to have had an unconventional career. He only started racing in 2002, at the relatively late age of 38. He began his career in the 2002 Formula 2000 Hungarian National Championship, and was runner-up in his first season. Since then he has progressed, via Formula 3000, to become a Formula One test driver.

Nissany was Minardi's third driver at the 2005 Hungarian Grand Prix because of the driver's popularity in Hungary. This was announced as a one-off deal, although a deal with Nissany's personal sponsor, UPEX, might have allowed him to participate as Minardi's third driver in additional grands prix.

Nissany was noted for being far off the pace and spinning into a gravel trap in his grand prix Friday debut. He was subsequently replaced by the more able Enrico Toccacelo but nonetheless made his mark, if in the wrong manner, on the Grand Prix world.
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:41 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I'm a fan. I think she's great for motorsports & open wheel racing in particular, & I'm happy that my daughters can see a woman competing at a very high level. I do agree though with this observation. She qualifies better than she races for the most part. I sometimes get the impression that she is more trying not to screw up than trying to make it to the front. I figured when she was new on the scene she was trying hard to gain acceptance on the track by not scewing up and taking others out. (unlike a certain young Andretti) She's been around long enough now though that it's time to start making a charge (if she's able). Say what you will about her antics, you rarely hear other drivers complaining about her making asshat moves on the track.

I hope Honda really does give her a chance & she's capable of competing at F1. We'll see.
Old 06-12-2008 | 09:24 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Better to hear chatter about Danica getting a test instead of her teammate Marco Andretti, whom she consistently beats week in and week out.
Old 06-12-2008 | 09:34 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by jakermc
Better to hear chatter about Danica getting a test instead of her teammate Marco Andretti, whom she consistently beats week in and week out.

If both of them are running at teh end of a race he is almost always ahead of her. Right now he's a much better 'racer' than she is.
Old 06-12-2008 | 10:53 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobt993
I would be surprised if she could hold her head in the corners as F1 cars are insanely hard on your neck muscles.
So are Indy cars at 220+ mph around curves. It's not the exact same, but she's certainly not totally under prepared to test a F1 car.

Originally Posted by flight747
1. Does she have the physical strength or can she attain the physical strength required to handle an F1 car? I understand there have been women in F1 before, but the g loads of the cars today are higher than yesteryear. With the use of slicks next year, the g loads are only going to go higher, especially in the braking department. She's 5'0", and 95 pounds, She's going to need the neck of a middle linebacker.
The smaller you are, the less effect that G forces have on you. At 4 G's she's only experiencing 400 pounds against the belts while most of the men are at 600+. Smaller head = lighter helmet = less stress on the neck. None of the F1 drivers have middle linebacker necks.
Old 06-12-2008 | 12:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
So are Indy cars at 220+ mph around curves. It's not the exact same, but she's certainly not totally under prepared to test a F1 car.

The smaller you are, the less effect that G forces have on you. At 4 G's she's only experiencing 400 pounds against the belts while most of the men are at 600+. Smaller head = lighter helmet = less stress on the neck. None of the F1 drivers have middle linebacker necks.
I read Miller's article and it mentioned she has problems on street courses (or that she hasn't done so well on them that on ovals) because of the physical strength that she lacks.

F1 guys don't have the linebacker necks of course (look at Zach Thomas!) but they're pretty impressive.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Danica Patrick to Test for Honda F1