Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timeline from Rookie racer to PCA CR Podium....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008 | 01:15 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
6) Seek out a mentor with even bigger gonads then yours.
Especially if said mentor has a working HDTV in his trailer and a grill so you can cook your own food. You might not learn anything, but you will be happy in the paddock!
Old 06-10-2008 | 08:47 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sechsgang
its WAY too expensive to just dump money into CR when honestly, its not taking me anywhere, much more cost effective to buy into grand am. Maybe if Im lucky ill find myself in your Dhinkles class and Ill be able to learn a thing or two. Im finished CR for now unless its practice in a 997 cup (or Koni GTB car).
Drew:

This thread started with a question about timeline from rookie to CR podium.. why don't you tell Paolo the date of your first DE and your first podium (I think most will be pretty surprised by the answer)? I was just talking to Bill Dougherty about you the other night, trying to figure out your "secret" and how it is you were able to progress so fast. Come on, fill me in. I'd like to get my driving (and my car) up to snuff for stock club racing in my 993 (I don't have your professional aspirations... just an adrenaline junkie). I'm not in a rush, and have been enjoying the learning curve with RTR DEs, but maybe next year I'll do a school or two.
Old 06-10-2008 | 09:11 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Paolo,
First let me say I enjoy your posts....

1. Is there any element of luck?
YES

2. What is the learning curve?
SEAT TIME SEAT TIME SEAT TIME, The more time you actually have to take off from work to do this the better!

3. What abilities are absolutely necessary?
Considering myself a novice with only two years in CR, I would say the most important ability to retain is remembering to listen to the advice of others and learn a little bit more every time I'm on track.
For example at WGI; To achieve the lap time I knew I needed to podium in class I took each of the last 3races there to work on particular sections of the track. Trying to achieve the track lap record in my class is on the hit list (Yes, its a small class)

4. Do all the rookie racer have equal opportunities?
I would say YES

5. Does the racer need to be mechanically inclined?
Somewhat, a good understanding of your car's mechanics could be a critical factor IMO

6. What is the best way to find a race mentor?
Buddy up with the top guys in your class.

7. What has your overall experience been?
It’s been outstanding. As far as advice I’m sure there are many lines given to me that I could quote. A few that come to mind are:

Dr. Jupeman…”Always do the enduro”
Joe Casano (Of Deman Motorsport) “See the time difference between you and this car, that’s only 5MpH, you can do that…right”
Junior Parmanan (Owner of Paddock Performance)….“Don’t give up now, push” A personal favorite, I was DQ’d in qualifying, started last, ran the best time in class and came back to 4th in class.
Rich Vizz (Club racer) “Smash you’re foot to the floor from turn 1 until the bus stop, you *****”
Steve Katz (Club racer) “Brake brake brake…Gas gas gas…Repeat”
Old 06-10-2008 | 09:15 AM
FredC
Drifting

I am trying to forget (though I still feel very sorry for Sean). I am fed up of living on could a should a lane!

Originally Posted by Gary R.
We certainly gave the farm away in the Enduro between you, Fred, and I didn't we!!
Old 06-10-2008 | 09:18 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Paolo what are you waiting for? Just do it already and all your questions will be answered!!
Well, it took well over a year of attention...er, I mean advice before we got him to put on the R compound tires. What is the over-under on getting him to his first CR?
Old 06-10-2008 | 09:28 AM
FredC
Drifting

Paolo,

Agreed with pretty much everything already posted on this thread. Skills first.

Don't forget to get the right car (model, condition, and set up quality) for the class you want to compete in. It is not critical in the first couple of events as you learn to race, but will become later as you may want to place closer to the front. A good solid strong car is generally key to one's ability to compete.
Old 06-10-2008 | 09:42 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Wow, I just logged on......

I thank you for your responses (so far) in advance, since I still have to go thru them.....

I knew you guys wouldn't disappoint me......
Old 06-10-2008 | 09:46 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Paolo what are you waiting for? Just do it already and all your questions will be answered!!
Ok Doc: Its time to stop the talk and time to walk the walk. Just pick a race, sign up for it, and go make it hapen, Who cares if you come in first, or last? All that matters is you get out there, learn something, bring the car home in one piece, and have fun doing it.

'Nuff said. Now just go and do it.

JL
Old 06-10-2008 | 09:51 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

What he said... strap on a pair and go to it!

As for that luck question... I'll quote Roger Penske: "Luck is preparation meeting opportunity."
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:06 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by constaf
Don't forget to get the right car (model, condition, and set up quality) for the class you want to compete in. It is not critical in the first couple of events as you learn to race, but will become later as you may want to place closer to the front. A good solid strong car is generally key to one's ability to compete.
I believe his car is/was a class winner in the old E class (now F)...
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:24 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

F would be a fun class Paolo. Some very good racers in that class...you'd learn a lot just from being out there with them.
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Or E Class, just not sure what was changed (besides the chip) that moved the car up.... that would have to be backdated.
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:48 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I think it has gears as well IIRC
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:57 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR
What he said... strap on a pair and go to it!

As for that luck question... I'll quote Roger Penske: "Luck is preparation meeting opportunity."
Or how about this one...."the harder you work the luckier you get"?!
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:57 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Ron was kind enough to let me drive that car at Lime Rock at a Rennsport fun session while mine was undergoing repairs. It handled amazingly well, rode like a Cadillac and floated over the bumps like they weren't even there. With the prepared mods it was a very fast E car (now F).

Quick Reply: Timeline from Rookie racer to PCA CR Podium....