Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Yes, you CAN track a Mercury Grand Marquis... (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/433636-yes-you-can-track-a-mercury-grand-marquis.html)

Veloce Raptor 05-31-2008 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by aeshultz (Post 5463322)
I once had the pleasure of taking hot laps in an instructor's Lincoln LS - with two other students - at Mid-Ohio - in an Instructor run group. He wasn't dogging it, either.
This instructor happens to own a Grand-Am DP team, and knows his way around the track. Quite hilarious.

Lincoln LS's actually are pretty well handling cars....

RDL 05-31-2008 04:16 PM

I spent roughly 3 hours one day as the designated driver of a Cayenne on track. Had a great time with 3 other people in the truck with one guy leaning out the back window and taking pictures as we passed people at 100+ down the front straight.
For the safety nuts, I did not know he was taking pictures or leaning out the window. We did get a black flag and when I found out why, I threw the guy out of the car.

MTosi 05-31-2008 05:15 PM

Would anyone be up for spec Crown Victoria? I'd be down, cage up some old police cruisers at 3 grand a pop....

Veloce Raptor 05-31-2008 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by MTosi (Post 5464744)
Would anyone be up for spec Crown Victoria? I'd be down, cage up some old police cruisers at 3 grand a pop....

Actually, Crown Vic Police Interceptor cars (P71 package) handle quite well for what they are, much better than that Mercury.

APKhaos 05-31-2008 05:43 PM

The BSR team at Summit Point do a LOT of protective service driving training, lagely in Caprices. Its a real kick to see what some of the BRS instructors can do with those babies. Impressive!

Great video, and now extra funny knowing that Pete T was instructing.

DogInBlack 05-31-2008 06:33 PM

I still haven't figured out how to add a picture, but I took some pictures of that car leaving tire steaks at the bottom of 14a. I actually had one of them as my avatar for a couple of weeks. What a hoot to watch that run around Barber. Mr B probably wouldnt appreciate the landscaping work though

gbaker 05-31-2008 06:50 PM

For my first SCCA school I took my wife's Jag S-type to Daytona because she wanted my DD for shopping. My instructor brought his 18 wheeler full of SRFs and asked if anyone had a car we could use for a ride along. I had to volunteer. :D

1AS 05-31-2008 07:42 PM

I used my Rental Lincoln Town Car at Bondurant for drift practice. It takes 50 lbs. of air in the front tires, but works. AS

Bryan Watts 05-31-2008 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by DogInBlack (Post 5464891)
I still haven't figured out how to add a picture

When you are posting, press the "INSERT IMAGE" button http://i26.tinypic.com/20v0o04.png and then insert the URL where the picture is hosted into the box that pops up. It's as simple as that.

If you need a place to host the pictures, use www.tinypic.com. Once you upload the picture, you'll be taken to a page that gives you multiple links or pieces of code that you can copy/paste. You can either copy/paste to text below "Direct Link of Layouts" into the dialogue box you get by pressing the INSERT IMAGE button here on the forums, or you can just copy/paste the text below the "IMG Code for Forums and Message Boards" directly into the message box you type into to post here.

http://i27.tinypic.com/do2xq1.png

jrgordonsenior 05-31-2008 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by fhturner (Post 5464525)
Greetings! Heard our little "group" was being discussed, so thought I'd check it out...
You're joking, yes? How is the Marquis line "much better" than the camera car, which is *following* him to shoot the video?

Fred-o
(a.k.a. camera car pilot... ;) )

Ahh, well, no actually....

Bull 05-31-2008 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by APKhaos (Post 5464798)
The BSR team at Summit Point do a LOT of protective service driving training, lagely in Caprices. Its a real kick to see what some of the BRS instructors can do with those babies. Impressive!

Actually, Pete T. was instructing in the Gran Marques pictured at Watkins Glen in T-9 on Memorial Day. The video was of a very similar car at Barber.

fhturner 05-31-2008 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior (Post 5465237)
Ahh, well, no actually....

Mmm.....k. Since I've only had a few thousand miles on this racetrack, and since I was putting along at about half effort to film the Marquis, I would *love* for you to fill me in on how exactly his line-- which I was following anyway-- is "much better", and how I can improve my following-a-4-passenger-sedan-for-the-purpose-of-filming line next time.

Psssh...

APKhaos 06-01-2008 12:18 AM

You guys are having WAAAAYYY too much fun.

951_for_John 06-01-2008 01:17 AM

Haha.. Thats funny,

I was behind an Ex Police Crown Vic when it spun in front of me in turn 8 at willowsprings.

Didn't have the camera mount then, Video would have been great!!

Veloce Raptor 06-01-2008 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by APKhaos (Post 5464798)

I know. I instruct for them sometimes... ;)