Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy, I couldn't have asked for a better response. Looks like I'm back in business. Thanks a bunch guys.

Bill
Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One question not asked yet, what size is your cooler? THe different brands and sizes makes a difference.

I have the small FAST system, and use block ice when I can, and always has ice left except for the long enduros.

Also remember, although the ice may not last you the 30 minutes, your body temperature was much lower for the first 20 minutes of the session, thus keeping your perfrmance closer to optimal much longer.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I found that I had a problem getting enough circulation. sent the cooler back for new fittings and a new pump. Trying it out this weekend at the Glen race.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:31 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Another thing you guys should try if you haven't yet is the Cool Shirt with the hood. I borrowed a buddy's this weekend to see how I liked it & WOW, big difference! Kept me cool & fresh all day in high 90s weather. I guess like they say, your head is where you generate a lot of heat
Old 05-29-2008, 03:42 PM
RTP356
Instructor

As mentioned earlier, block ice makes a big difference. I have gone as long as an hour and a half and it was still cool. I use the round cooler and bought a couple of tupperware storage containers that fit the diameter and freeze the ice in them. I also use as little water as possible.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

MarkM and RTP356, I like the block ice idea, but mine is the small box, and the electric motor is right in the middle of the box. Also there is a problem with transporting ice to the track. We only have one local track, and even that will be hard, because the races are in the afternoon, and I live 55 miles from the track. But, I am still thinking. I do have two boxes with separate hoses, so dry ice may work, at least locally.

Bill
Old 05-29-2008, 06:52 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Does dry ice work in this kind of application?

Look around your kitchen for tupperware or milk cartons that you can freeze ice in shapes that fit your cooler best. One of the best I say was 1/2 gal milk carton. Once it was frozen, split in half and it makes 2 nice big ice cubes. Just pack the blocks in the beer cooler, you should be fine.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm sure block ice is better than cube ice, but it also sounds like much more of a hassle. I've never had a problem with a ton of cube ice, a bit of water and my timer set for a moderate amount of cooling. The difference in my concentration level is noticeable.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be carefull using dry ice in a cool suit system. You want a leak proof system to keep the water in but dry ice turns into carbon dioxide gas and needs to get out before it goes boom from the pressure.

I have dry ice readily available at work so I use it to make my ice cold (commercial ice is seldom much below freezing say about 25 °F/ -3 °C) in the big cooler I use for drinks and to transfer into the cool suit container. The addition of dry ice can easily chill it to -20 °F so it will take longer to melt (and keep the cool suit water cold longer). You want to get the water cold but too much will make it freeze. If I add the dry ice to the wet ice as I depart for the track, it makes the ice cold but the dry ice is gone before I need the cool suit.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

No, no. I was talking about carrying the block ice in dry ice to the track, not using it in the cooler. I doubt that putting it in the cooler would work, and if it did, can you imagine freezing to death in your race car. "Uh, race central, this is corner 4, this guy in the 911 that just went off track here, is stiff as a board, he's got icicles hanging from his eyebrows."

Bill
Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Another thing you guys should try if you haven't yet is the Cool Shirt with the hood. I borrowed a buddy's this weekend to see how I liked it & WOW, big difference! Kept me cool & fresh all day in high 90s weather. I guess like they say, your head is where you generate a lot of heat
I have a hoodie too and it's great. I'd say it's better then a blower system.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Default 24 quart Cool Shirt

I just had installed (3G Motorsports in Greensboro did a great install ) a 24 quart box in the front compartment with 12' hoses routed to the center console.

First used the box this past weekend at the First Settlers Region VIR event. I only put in one bag of ice Saturday, and it lasted less than 2 hours. I thought the system didn't work.

Sunday morning I bought 3 bags on the way to the track, and loaded 2 1/2 bags in the box with no more than 1 1/2 inches of water in the bottom of the box. I was cool all day long. The ice was gone at 5 PM, but the water was still very cold.

I have an on-off switch that I turn on and leave on while driving.

Works great IMHO.

Users, what do you do to drain the shirt or the hoses that run from the box to the shirt ?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom N

Users, what do you do to drain the shirt or the hoses that run from the box to the shirt ?
I don't. I follow the manufacturer's directions and put in the recommended amount of alcohol to run through the entire system.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

By the way. I also have the helmet blower system, but really didn't like that because of the blower noise. Also, the guy who won the class I was in last weekend had a blower hose stuck out the drivers window, into the wind, and run to his helmet, which I think was an Impact because it had a top blower hose mount. Mine has one that enters the helmet from the side, Pyrotech. Anyway, he said this thing worked great. I didn't have a hose with me, so I couldn't try it, but will at Nashville Superspeedway.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:43 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Never any issue with my Cool Shirt --love it --never ran out of ice--won't elaborate since many others have already done so. But will add an idea. Couple weeks ago at CA Speedway, the outside air temp was around 104. Inside the car during the race(s), it was 118. Before going to the grid, I took a handkerchief/bandanna, dipped it in ice water and then filled it with ice, twisted the ends so the ice wouldn't fall out and then wrapped the whole thing around my neck.
30+ minutes later, after the race, there was still a small amount of ice left in the bandanna. Amazing discovery and simple way to keep cool (in addition to the Cool shirt which I also had going). Try it --you'll like it.

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt